ABR Dambusters run 2012

Planning a little soiree, then post it up here. And please, no commercial stuff, this forum is about people not products or services - send us a press release.
Itchy

Re: ABR Dambusters run 2012

Post by Itchy »

I would love to do this but the dates are wrong for me, hope you do another next year :)

Vstrom1000 & Bandit600
Simon_100

Post by Simon_100 »

Hi Guys n Gals, Sorry to butt in with a silly but I couldn't help it - made me laugh at the memory - the truth is I'm jealous! Auf Wiedersehen Simon PS to any military types, don't think I'm taking the p***, my dad did two turns '42-45, mostly in Lancs!
Be sure to visit www.thespanishbiker.com the invaluable guide to motorcycling in Spain - plus guided rides, HISS Events* and off road touring support service

*Highly Informal Sojourns in Spain
snaphappy

Post by snaphappy »

@ Spanish biker :laugh:
forgot about that one, good call. What Squadron was your Dad?? as for dates next year will be the Spring Bank Holiday too, it's the closest bank holiday to the actual raid dates of Op CHASTISE, 16-17 May 1943
@ Itchy, next year will be the 70th anniversary of the raid and I plan to host it again with the hope that those who have been last year and this year will return to help, The area is so biker friendly you cant go wrong.
I'm just back from Berlin and that should be on everyone's list too, 60 years on and the ground war is still very present.
Next week I'm off to Fehmarn the V1 rocket testing ground...tough life sometimes.
For more info click on the Dambuster Signature banner

Simon_100

Post by Simon_100 »

snaphappy wrote:@ Spanish biker :laugh:
forgot about that one, good call. What Squadron was your Dad?? as for dates next year will be the Spring Bank Holiday too, it's the closest bank holiday to the actual raid dates of Op CHASTISE, 16-17 May 1943 . . . I'm just back from Berlin and that should be on everyone's list too . . .
The truth is I don't know; he was one of those who put all that in a box called 'The War' and never really talked about it. It was only when the family watched All Our Yesterdays that the odd comment or anecdote came out, or films like The Dambusters of course - he mentioned knowing Guy Gibson and thought was arrogant and "a prig", not a unique opinion so I gather.

Funny you shoud mention the V1, I do know that my dad was injured on one of these missions.

Even funnier that you should recommend visiting Berlin - memories of the steamy summer of '76 with a woman from Berlin on an exchange study visit to Britain on her immaculate BMW 250 R26. I was eighteen, she was about twenty-eight, had almost no English and we had to mime everything Oww Oww Owwwwwwwwww . . .

Sorry guys, the video is of the bike :silly:

Regs

Simon
Be sure to visit www.thespanishbiker.com the invaluable guide to motorcycling in Spain - plus guided rides, HISS Events* and off road touring support service

*Highly Informal Sojourns in Spain
david

Post by david »

Hi, Iv had some work canceled and so far not got any to replace it. Would I be able to join you in Germany on the Friday for the wknd. Can't tell if your limited to numbers etc. I don't have to rush back for anything if anyone is adding something on.
All I need to do is drop kids off at School Friday morning I can be at Camp site for 8. :blink: :) :cheer:

P/s have own Lancaster :ohmy: :dry: :lol:
GOG 007

Post by GOG 007 »

david wrote:Hi, Iv had some work canceled and so far not got any to replace it. Would I be able to join you in Germany on the Friday for the wknd. Can't tell if your limited to numbers etc. I don't have to rush back for anything if anyone is adding something on.
All I need to do is drop kids off at School Friday morning I can be at Camp site for 8. :blink: :) :cheer:

David, on Snaps behalf NO PROBLEMO, get your arse over there, it will be a cracking weekend ;)
GOG 007

Post by GOG 007 »

david wrote:Hi, Iv had some work canceled and so far not got any to replace it. Would I be able to join you in Germany on the Friday for the wknd. Can't tell if your limited to numbers etc. I don't have to rush back for anything if anyone is adding something on.

David, on Snaps behalf NO PROBLEMO, get your arse over there, it will be a cracking weekend ;)
GOG 007

Post by GOG 007 »

GOG 007 wrote:

Seems like I posted that twice ??? so just to reiterate for a third time, Go for it :laugh:
snaphappy

Post by snaphappy »

David, ride safe. at the Bever site turn right at the roundabout and we'll be on the tent site to your right, ride past and double back through the woods.

I'll save a beer or three.

snaphappy

Post by snaphappy »

Gundog PM'd me about route recommendation and I'm sure he wont mind a reply here.

:woohoo: :laugh: Just tried Michelin maps for Calais to Huckeswagen...it recomended via Harwich to Denmark through Hamburg just over 1200 miles, :S :whistle: that was on quickest setting for motorbikes :blink:

From Calais (& Zeebrugge) go via Brussels, the route a touch quicker and by far not as industrial and less traffic, that will take you then through Cologne (Koln) and up to Huckeswagen.

Any one know of a map service that can be posted, google maps and the rest seem to have stopped their copy function :( dont realy want just a screen shot.
I'll do something for garmin later but online would be good

Return to “MEETS & RUNS”