New BMW R1300 GS

The Things We Ride
johnnyboxer

New BMW R1300 GS

Post by johnnyboxer »

Anyone buying one ??

Who’s had a demo ride yet?

Look good with electric screen and I believe they have active suspension which actually lowers the bike below 10mph and you can get your feet down easier at a standstill
Quite innovative to drop the height, so the rider can flat foot at the traffic lights

Last edited by johnnyboxer on Tue Oct 31, 2023 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
minkyhead

Re: New BMW R1300 GS

Post by minkyhead »

red eric had doo last week said it was very very good .they wernt for givin him much for his 1250 so hes not doin it
i went down to bowkers at preston as for a gs 15995 seemed ok for beemer ..lad i know there from me working days was now workin there

the problem i guess was the 15995 bike has no screen no cruise control no heated grips locked modes and so on ... i wanted grips C/C screen and two panniers centre stand similar to me current tourer ..that came to my bike plus 14.400 quid

how can i put it the puchase price is minty but i could do it if i wanted ....my problem is the depreciation .i do around11/12k a year ..he said it would be around 4000 a year depriciation and with servicing and consumables that would hike a bit as well ..so id guess with extra insurance srvice cost and feul costs id be looking at more than 5000 a year to own one

havnt got round to a test ride as tbo its just too much cost to own ..id rather spend the money givin grand kids a holiday twice a year .not much help i guess but it all seems too much and being honest im not really wanting to ride much faster than i do ..im in me touring mode and not interested in the hillbill grand prix anymore

total srvice costs so far for the plushaskwiki for 20.000 miles are around 100 quid not including tyres and pads ...its one of them where you buy online cheap dont worry about warrantys and stamps and all that and i pretty much understand what im dealing with and how to maintain it ..which i like to do ... id miss that with a fancy dan bike
nowts forever im ruunin me plushasfucki one more season ..and out of the test rides ive taken i think the 800 v strom at 9.5 grand is going to be where i end up as its not overloaded with fancy crap and a doddle to work on lots of low down bant ..pretty quick to 100mph

chatting he told me they wont take ktms in at all as they sit and are a very hard sell 2nd hand ..there contacts who they move the infirior bikes on to wont take em as they are trouble after sales and difficult to fix ..
i think it will be a very very good bike to ride but i think id feel a disconnect from it as it will be in a lot of areas beyond my comfort zone /knowlage and tools to work on ..ultimatly overkill for what i need ...the 90hp suzuki has more than enough bant for waht i need in the real world for sure ?
ive got the brass but us northern boys arnt attracted to shiny objects so easily . think the suzuki and 10000 pound cash in me ass pocket is where ill end up
keep well
whats the wether forcast ..wheres me map
Tonibe63

Post by Tonibe63 »

Not of interest to me, I think Minky's reply and JB's signature says it all really.
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

The Harley D Bed-Pan, or whatever it's called has similar active suspension, it lowers as the bike stops. So did a Citroen GSA I owned years ago. It fell to bits when I raised the suspension and drove it (slowly) along a fairly smooth farm track.
It amazes me just how much that can go wrong gets built into modern vehicles.
Hilarious that the BM dealer won't take KTMs in part ex because they go wrong and are difficult to fix...
Scott_rider

Post by Scott_rider »

I'm guessing that the reason they won't take KTMs in part-exchange is more about brand protection than any issues with the bikes? They don't want to be associated with a competitor by having their bikes in their showroom. I think BMW and Mercedes dealers used to do the same thing. Of course, they can still part-exchange the vehicle and ship it off to one of their other non-franchised outlets to sell.
Suzuki GSX-S1000F...the KTM 450 EXC-R has gone
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

Fairly common practice for brand A franchise dealer to 'trade out' non brand A motorcycles to either place like Superbike Factory or his local dealer. Or send to auction
But from what I can gather, a lot of bikes sent to auction recently haven't been making anything like reserve/bottom book price. More than half unsold at some sales recently. It's the worst time of year for dealers to be holding stock anyway...but quite a change from the immediate post-covid period where bikes were going for top book price at auction.
Some used bargains around if you know where to look, I suspect.
minkyhead

Post by minkyhead »

he says one of the main problems with ktm is they bring out a new version of whatever every couple of years and then discount the older models quiyte heavily ...says its hard to value them properly as a 18 month old one can be out of date ..thats the jist of it ..the trade dealers dont want them as they are difficult to to work on and do give problems that require parts and equipment out of the norm
getting off track i guess they di have a few africa twins and the like in there ..theres a row of about 15 r1250s ..says the1300s are selling like hot cakes ..may be good time to go 1250 by the sounds of it
whats the wether forcast ..wheres me map
Scott_rider

Post by Scott_rider »

minkyhead wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 3:52 pm he says one of the main problems with ktm is they bring out a new version of whatever every couple of years and then discount the older models quiyte heavily ...says its hard to value them properly as a 18 month old one can be out of date ..thats the jist of it ..the trade dealers dont want them as they are difficult to to work on and do give problems that require parts and equipment out of the norm
getting off track i guess they di have a few africa twins and the like in there ..theres a row of about 15 r1250s ..says the1300s are selling like hot cakes ..may be good time to go 1250 by the sounds of it

...yes, they currently have £3000 off a brand new Super Duke 1290R because the new model is imminent.

Anyway, I like the look of that R1300GS and the YouTube reviews of it are very positive 8-) .
Suzuki GSX-S1000F...the KTM 450 EXC-R has gone
johnnyboxer

New BMW R1300 GS

Post by johnnyboxer »

minkyhead wrote:red eric had doo last week said it was very very good .they wernt for givin him much for his 1250 so hes not doin it
i went down to bowkers at preston as for a gs 15995 seemed ok for beemer ..lad i know there from me working days was now workin there

the problem i guess was the 15995 bike has no screen no cruise control no heated grips locked modes and so on ... i wanted grips C/C screen and two panniers centre stand similar to me current tourer ..that came to my bike plus 14.400 quid

how can i put it the puchase price is minty but i could do it if i wanted ....my problem is the depreciation .i do around11/12k a year ..he said it would be around 4000 a year depriciation and with servicing and consumables that would hike a bit as well ..so id guess with extra insurance srvice cost and feul costs id be looking at more than 5000 a year to own one

havnt got round to a test ride as tbo its just too much cost to own ..id rather spend the money givin grand kids a holiday twice a year .not much help i guess but it all seems too much and being honest im not really wanting to ride much faster than i do ..im in me touring mode and not interested in the hillbill grand prix anymore

total srvice costs so far for the plushaskwiki for 20.000 miles are around 100 quid not including tyres and pads ...its one of them where you buy online cheap dont worry about warrantys and stamps and all that and i pretty much understand what im dealing with and how to maintain it ..which i like to do ... id miss that with a fancy dan bike
nowts forever im ruunin me plushasfucki one more season ..and out of the test rides ive taken i think the 800 v strom at 9.5 grand is going to be where i end up as its not overloaded with fancy crap and a doddle to work on lots of low down bant ..pretty quick to 100mph

chatting he told me they wont take ktms in at all as they sit and are a very hard sell 2nd hand ..there contacts who they move the infirior bikes on to wont take em as they are trouble after sales and difficult to fix ..
i think it will be a very very good bike to ride but i think id feel a disconnect from it as it will be in a lot of areas beyond my comfort zone /knowlage and tools to work on ..ultimatly overkill for what i need ...the 90hp suzuki has more than enough bant for waht i need in the real world for sure ?
ive got the brass but us northern boys arnt attracted to shiny objects so easily . think the suzuki and 10000 pound cash in me ass pocket is where ill end up
keep well
Thanks for your realistic thoughts and opinion

Now I have the Tenere 700 sorted with fancy Ohlins suspension & alloy boxes,plus a Corbin seat ….also I don’t need 100+bhp

I had a great 2 days around the Borders, 2 weeks ago and on all the back roads we both love to ride & it was smashing - I will keep that for a good while as it’s mine & owned outright, so just consumables and it’s easy to service
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
PaulinBont

Post by PaulinBont »

I think that it looks stunning In green.

Seems BMW are targeting the younger buyers as us oldies are getting on a bit looking at the GS demographics.
Lighter, lower, not so intimidating, so (hopefully) the owners won’t all be us oldies but the next generation of motorcyclists
IMG_4030.png
IMG_4030.png (520.28 KiB) Viewed 3139 times

Return to “BIKES”