Carrying spare Fuel

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil

Carrying spare Fuel

Post by 03001978 »

GUYS,

Does anyone know the legalities of carrying extra fuel on the bike?

I am looking to have 2 x 5 litre metal jerry cans (1 on each pannier) to extend my fuel range for an upcoming trip. Would his pass for EU law or are there any laws suggesting otherwise?

Is there a limit on amount of extra fuel?
Do these have to be in a certain location?
Do these have to be in approved green plastic petrol cans that can be bought at any petrol station?

REGARDS
CW
Warthog

Re:Carrying spare Fuel

Post by Warthog »

Hi,

Firstly, where are you going? You mention EU law, so I'm guessing you're touring Europe or passing through to get to where you're heading. In Europe you are rarely more than 50 miles from a petrol station, so my initial thought is do you even need this extra fuel?

If you bike can do more than 120 miles to reserve you should be comfy in Europe.

However, if you still want to have this extra fuel, I suspect its transport is subject more to national law than EU law, the same way some countries require cars to carry a fire extinguisher, others not...

Your best bet is contact the Emabassies or Transport miniitries of each country if you really want to know for sure.

Other wise, post a list of the coutries you are heading to and other members may be able to help...

Post by 03001978 »

The majority of countries I am happy with distances between fuel stops but I am visiting family in Bulgaria and travelling through Serbia and its these two places where I am worried about fuel stops.

If you look at a previous post of mine. (Border Crossings) you will see the countries which I will be passing through. My tank will do 130-150 miles depending on my driving butI would just prefer to have a little extra for that added security.

CW
backofbeyond

Post by backofbeyond »

I have 2 five litre metal jerrycans mounted on the back of my panniers I've toured France quite a bit with them like that and not had any problems. They are however empty as I don't need the extra range in Europe (they're for a coming up West Africa trip)but you wouldn't know that just by looking at them.

Walking into hotels with the panniers as hand luggage has raised a few eyebrows though :huh:

The ups and downs of 40 years on two wheels

www.pisquicktours.co.uk

Do the best you can, then try to live it down.

CCM604 Honda XR600 Honda CBX1000

Honda 400/4 Yamaha XS2 650 Kawasaki H1 500

Lotus Elan, Land Rover Discovery

Post by 03001978 »

I was specifically looking at 2 metal jerry cans. How are they mounted onto your panniers? I was going to basterdise my touratech ones (which are made for their 2 litre bottles) but im sure I can modify them, everything else for the bike is modified, nowt is standard!

CW
backofbeyond

Post by backofbeyond »

Pic below shows how cans are mounted. The panniers are DIY so I'm not bothered about wielding the welding torch on them.

The cans sit on a V shape bracket welded to the bottom of the frame and are held in place by a couple of small ratchet straps.

Prior to the petrol cans I had water bottles in the same place so I was happy that the extra weight wasn't going to be a problem.

The ups and downs of 40 years on two wheels

www.pisquicktours.co.uk

Do the best you can, then try to live it down.

CCM604 Honda XR600 Honda CBX1000

Honda 400/4 Yamaha XS2 650 Kawasaki H1 500

Lotus Elan, Land Rover Discovery
GUNDOG

Post by GUNDOG »

I've toured europe with external metal fuel bottles on the back of my panniers....no bother at all..:)

But got stopped on the mallaig to skye ferry by the ferry terminal gestapo and was made to empty them and fill with water before being allowed to get on the ferry....:angry:

Where's the logic ?
Treat every situation like a dog..

If you can't hump it or eat it, piss on it and walk away.
herman

Post by herman »

I like the idea of the rotopax systems,but they are expensive,
The secret of a long life is knowing when its time to go.

Post by 03001978 »

Those Rotopax are good well thought out system, $100.00 thats quite a lot considering I can get two plastic fuel bottle for a tenner plus no doubt would have custom charges on top of that! Not that I fit the stereotype of being a tight Aberdonian that is!

Philzafucka,
What was the purpose of re-filling your jerrys with water?

CW
Pigford

Post by Pigford »

03001978 wrote:
Philzafucka,
What was the purpose of re-filling your jerrys with water?
Thats to ensure no dangerous fumes left in the container :dry:

If the containers are actually designed to carry fuel - wheres the problem - did they make you empty the bike fuel tank too :blink:

A lot of people seem to use ordinary drink bottles - which seem pretty robust and not quite so obvious - especially the coloured plastic ones (eg: Sprite ) ;) Cheaper too!

Return to “TRAVEL”