Coolant/Fan Problem KTM 990

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
Shaun70

Coolant/Fan Problem KTM 990

Post by Shaun70 »

Hey guys, can anyone help out? Currently in Southern Africa on a KTM 990 Adventure. Been on road for a couple of months and not had to top coolant up once. This morning however (having been off bike for a couple of days) it was empty. Filled up with bottled water. Rode 300km on tar but empty again when I've just checked. Also ran engine stationery for several minutes and the bike reach full temperature without fan kicking in. Changed fuse twice and still not working. Am currently in Botswana 1000km from nearest KTM in Windhoek Namibia. Not sure if its a part I can courier and change myself or if I can I struggle onto Windhoek, turning engine off when stationery etc. In a bit of a dilemma! Any advice really appreciated. Cheers Shaun
luckiegar

Re: Coolant/Fan Problem KTM 990

Post by luckiegar »

are you filling it from rad cap behind side cover or expansion tank mine did it in 40 degrees in portugal had air lock in it hence fan switch stopped working and started a cycle of over heating if your doing the fill from rad cap sorrey no help also you could bridge termenels to rad switch bring fan on permanent but if you got no coolent wont help
zimtim

Post by zimtim »

Sounds like
1.... you have a leak some where lose of coolant
2.....Thermo switch knackered
3.....Air lock in system, if you've had to top up a lot then this may have happened.
4.....Water pump shaft gone. just remove your oil filter have a quick check if milky or paper filter crinkly.
5.....Our very own Mr Boboneleg had a problem with overheating and the fan not kicking in found that one of the wires of the fan had frayed in its sheathing

Hope you get sorted soon

Put a shout out on here some one local to you may be able to lend a hand
http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/
Shaun70

Post by Shaun70 »

Hey thanks for this - filling it from expansion tank so will check for air lock. How did you do this? Cheers Shaun
Agent Orange

Post by Agent Orange »

Reckon you need to see where the fluid has gone or is Going. Place some inch thick pieces of wood or similar under the wheels, put bike on side stand, you will only loose a spoon or two of oil.
Remove right hand engine casing and see if its full of white/ milky stuff, if it is water pump shaft seal may have gone. ( it will only take five minutes to do this and the case seal is reusable, use a screwdriver to hold the rear brake down)
Good luck.
Shaun70

Post by Shaun70 »

Cheers for all this advice! Will check as much as I can in the morning and go from there. Nice one, Shaun
Shaun70

Post by Shaun70 »

Cheers for this - will check in morning when light again and go from there! Thanks Shaun
Agent Orange

Post by Agent Orange »

Shaun70 wrote:Hey thanks for this - filling it from expansion tank so will check for air lock. How did you do this? Cheers Shaun
Some links to read.

http://www.ktm950.info/how/ktm_950_issues.html

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/i ... ge.542486/
Agent Orange

Post by Agent Orange »

You won't sleep. Take the engine over off now and have a look. At least if it's okay in the there you'll sleep easier ;-)
boboneleg

Post by boboneleg »

My fan recently stopped working, in the end I found that there was a break in the wiring where it goes from the rad switch towards the fan. I think the wiring had previously been trapped between the R/H tank and the frame.
one-legged adventurer

Return to “TECHNICAL”