Van - a big accessory!

The essential art of farkling.
Trev

Van - a big accessory!

Post by Trev »

I'm sure this has been covered previously but can't find what I'm after so here goes:

I would like to a get a van large enough to transport a bike or preferably two small bikes, seat three in the front, comfortable for long trips away yet as small as possible. I'm fortunate to have a decent budget and would prefer to go for new. Any ideas/suggestions/thoughts welcomed.
johnnyboxer

Re: Van - a big accessory!

Post by johnnyboxer »

Toyota Hiace, but they stopped making them sadly
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
bowber

Post by bowber »

Most of the normal size van will do, I.E. SWB low roof.
I'd expect to be able to get 2 bikes in a Transit custom and they are like a car in the driver area, comfy and plenty of electronics to break ;-)

Watch for the height of screens and mirrors though.

Vauxhall/Peugeot etc the same.

Steve
fraserdog

Post by fraserdog »

I used a Vauxhall Vivaro to pick up my XT1200 when I bought the bike although I had to take the screen and the mirrors off,it sat 3 in the front and was very comfortable and quiet and drove much like a car and did 40 odd mpg,on the flip side I have a new Fiat Ducato SWB (same as Peugeot Boxer) for work and although it has loads of space and height in the back and seats 3 it's noisy and shakes your eyeballs out over the slightest bump.
threepot

Post by threepot »

If you can buy new,road test them. I drive a van for a living. Currently a 2013 Transit. There are different variants. The one I have is the 2.2 SWB ,Duratorque engine? The engine,gearbox and clutch is superb! Super smooth,and refined. Plenty of power and torque. Effortless cruising on motorways,and good mpg. Great handling,and load space. 125k miles with no issues. Only downside..front suspension is hard! You feel every bump,pothole etc. But they can have steering issues? So check. Previously,a Vivaro. Another great van. More like driving a car,but smaller than the Transit. But I did get my Tiger in it. If you buy 2nd hand,check gear linkages,and the injectors were prone to seizing in on some models?
halfpint

Post by halfpint »

toyota hiace great van , no current van is good for three in the front any great distance .best buy to a budget so keep away from vw transit is good but a few problems traffic ok to 80 k then sell on or buy the bits . buy the toyota and worry free time , there is a nice one on ukgser. looks good well looked after only been used for bikes and dogging!!
Emf#53

Post by Emf#53 »

I've got a VW kombi - 2 seats in the front 3 seats in the rear, split into 2 seats and 1 seat so if you want you can take out all 3, 2 or just 1 in a matter of minutes. Makes it really versatile.

The thing I'd say about having 3 seats in the front is that the double seat isn't anywhere near as comfortable as a single seat. Mate of mine took out a new Merc vito on a days test drive with two mates and he turned round after 5 miles as the bloke in the middle had hardly any room at all and said there was no way he could have sat there for the 4 hour drive they were about to do. He went back to the garage and got his transit back.
Standonit

Post by Standonit »

I was in a similar situation and was on the hunt for a van. I rent vans from Enterprise (5 times this year so far). I always rent the Long Wheel Base High Top vans. I load my KTM Adventure in the back portion of the van, i.e. almost with the bikes back wheel almost touching the vans back door. Through the side door goes our suitcases, folding table and chairs, cooler, and the all essential porta potty. My wife and I string a rope between the walls and hang all our coats and jacket from it. All the vans I have rented this year have been 2015 or 2016 models, ranging from Ford, VW, and Renault. My wife and I both agree that our favorite is the Renault Master. It seems to get the best MPG, 36 MPG on average. The worst MPG was the Ford, it really struggled to get 30 MPG. The Renault has a lower entrance in the rear where the Ford RWD has a very tall entrance which can be a challenge to load your bike on your own. Comfort wise, the Renault takes the prize in my opinion.
I really like Enterprise as their prices seem cheaper that other van rental companies but also they come to your house and collect you and drop you off when finished with the van. PLUS, they have UNLIMITED mileage.
I would suggest you rent a couple of vans first and see which one you like before you drop the hammer on one.
Just my two pence worth
threepot

Post by threepot »

We have a LWB Renault Master in our fleet,although in Nissan guise. It's not a bad van. Has nice suspension,cruise control,Bluetooth,and does seem good on fuel for the size,about 34mpg? But it's like a cart horse compared to my Transit! If you can make do with a short wheelbase van,buy one.
Standonit

Post by Standonit »

What year is your Transit and what kind of MPG are you getting from it?

Return to “ACCESSORIES”