Tie downs

The essential art of farkling.
Mac 60

Tie downs

Post by Mac 60 »

Hi, wondered if anyone uses their own tie downs/rachet straps when they board a ferry. Ive both been asked to do my own bike and also had the crew insist on doing it, depending on ferry company. In all cases the straps are oily, gritty with little more than a rotten piece of carpet for protection. Or as in the pic nothing more than a single piece of rope looped around a hand rail. I appreciate many have had their bikes on little more than a raft or canoe but iam thinking more on the Irish sea/English channel ferrys. Iam guessing useing your own straps may mean the ferry company wont have any liabilty if your machine is slideing up and down the car deck. :S

Attachments
SAM_1259_2016-02-06.JPG
SAM_1259_2016-02-06.JPG (52.1 KiB) Viewed 1760 times
Tonibe63

Re: Tie downs

Post by Tonibe63 »

We did Liverpool to Belfast and Rosslare to Pembroke last year where the crew strapped them down. We double checked and all looked ok, there was no problems during the crossing.
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.
clutchspring

Post by clutchspring »

P&o ferry's stopped tieing down bike's as they had clams against them for damage to the bikes seat's .
Never used my own straps, but agree that the supplied straps are usually dirty & tied in knot's .
I now usually use the tunnel , lot less hassle .
92kk k100lt 193214

Post by 92kk k100lt 193214 »

A few of us go on the ferry to France and while the ferries do all have the necessary ratchet straps etc we do have our own with us. They don't take up a lot of space and are only the €10 Lidl sets but perfect for the job. Also have one for mainstand to front wheel and a small one for the front brake...parking in wind this is useful to prevent a roll off.

Useful on a trip in case of need of a bike pick up etc.

But.......wise to let the guys n the ferry do the tie down.....just watch they don't put too much stresses on the side stand.
1992 K100LT June 2010 110,000 miles
1984 K100RT July 2013 36,000 miles, 90,000
1983 K100RS Nov 2018 29,000 miles, 58,600 miles
1996 K1100LT Oct 2020 37,990 miles, 48,990 miles
1984 K100 Sprint March 2023 58,000 miles, 62,000 miles
steve_h80

Post by steve_h80 »

I always take my own tie downs, but usually don't need them.
My preference is to use the mainstand to avoid overstressing the sidestand (paranoid I know). Leave it in gear and strap the front brake to stop either wheel rotating. And choc the wheels if they are available.
Then stop worrying, there is f*** all you can do about it.
OnHellas

Post by OnHellas »

I always carry a couple of straps just in case.
Going to Morocco they came in handy, and crossing from Italy to Greece.
RandG

Post by RandG »

steve_h80 wrote:I always take my own tie downs, but usually don't need them.
My preference is to use the mainstand to avoid overstressing the sidestand (paranoid I know). Leave it in gear and strap the front brake to stop either wheel rotating. And choc the wheels if they are available.
You do realise there is a reason why they ask them to be on the sidestand.
sprintster

Post by sprintster »

RandG wrote:
steve_h80 wrote:I always take my own tie downs, but usually don't need them.
You do realise there is a reason why they ask them to be on the sidestand.
I was just going to say the ferry crew have always told me to use the side stand.DFDS straps are decent enough.Sometimes they will tie down sometimes they leave you to it.They last time I did it myself they had re-done it during the crossing.Pointless leaving the bike in gear if it's on the centre stand since the back wheel isn't touching the ground.
SteveR

Post by SteveR »

I can't remember when I last crossed the Irish Sea or Channel and saw a bit of rope like in the pic in the OP! Thank goodness... (thumbs)

Brittany Ferries are excellent I find, and to be honest so are pretty well all the ferries I have been on in the past 10 years since I started straying abroad again.

I leave her in gear (ie I stall the bike) and I will sometimes strap the front brake on if it looks like a very choppy crossing (on advice from another more clued up traveller) with a zip tie, bungy or even a bit of string.
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

Is it just me.....I as I ride up the slippy steel ramp on my cool adventure bike with my off road tyres, I think..."I'll look a right knobhead if I drop this now" :laugh:

Return to “ACCESSORIES”