Apologise in advance, which is the best satnav out there for adventure?

Brenhden

Apologise in advance, which is the best satnav out there for adventure?

Post by Brenhden »

I've searched the forum but can't tell....

I'm in a position to buy something and I want it to all the jobs.

I've like these features:
Waterproof
Can take massive gpx files.
All European roads.
Can be used with gloves.
O/S type maps.
Shows speed and has easy to understand display.

Anyone know which is best?
And now, Harry, let us step out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure.

Suzuki DR200 Djebel.
πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§πŸ‡«πŸ‡·πŸ‡§πŸ‡ͺπŸ‡±πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡ͺπŸ‡ΈπŸ‡¬πŸ‡·πŸ‡©πŸ‡ͺ
picos mestizo

Re: Apologise in advance, which is the best satnav out there for adventure?

Post by picos mestizo »

Without any doubt:-
GARMIN 390LM or 590LM if you want a bigger screen.
Lightness is everything.

Lightness with Grunt is a Scratcher!

An Adventure is not a tank transfer.
KtmRy

Post by KtmRy »

They are quite basic compared to the montana 600s but then they do have a few other things that the 600 does not have but as a gps i device i would choose the 600
GB

Post by GB »

Montana imho
Finally back on a GS :D
picos mestizo

Post by picos mestizo »

The best thing about a Montana is that it can also be used as a door stop.
If anybody wants one they can have my 650 for 200 quid. Hardly used with a couple of scratches on the case.
Lightness is everything.

Brenhden

Post by Brenhden »

OK so, let me rephrase the question after spending an hour trawling forums:

Is there a satnav that can take big gpx files and do interesting road routing? Imagine you wanted to blast across the alps on twisty roads and then load up a gpx and ride goat tracks across the pyrenees.

I can see there being two options here, the Montana 600 and the Zumo 660LM. Are they the only two worth talking about?
And now, Harry, let us step out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure.

Suzuki DR200 Djebel.
πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§πŸ‡«πŸ‡·πŸ‡§πŸ‡ͺπŸ‡±πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡ͺπŸ‡ΈπŸ‡¬πŸ‡·πŸ‡©πŸ‡ͺ
picos mestizo

Post by picos mestizo »

Brenhden wrote:OK so, let me rephrase the question after spending an hour trawling forums:

Is there a satnav that can take big gpx files and do interesting road routing? Imagine you wanted to blast across the alps on twisty roads and then load up a gpx and ride goat tracks across the pyrenees.

I can see there being two options here, the Montana 600 and the Zumo 660LM. Are they the only two worth talking about?
390 & 590 can do that.
Don't think the Montana has a twisty road function which by the way is not realy worth having unless you want to travel 10 miles via 150 miles of twisty roads!
Lightness is everything.

KtmRy

Post by KtmRy »

picos mestizo wrote:The best thing about a Montana is that it can also be used as a door stop.
What makes you say that?

390s ok if you dont know how to use a sat nav but if you want to go into things in more detail then the 600 is better
picos mestizo

Post by picos mestizo »

KtmRy wrote:
picos mestizo wrote:The best thing about a Montana is that it can also be used as a door stop.
What makes you say that?

390s ok if you dont know how to use a sat nav but if you want to go into things in more detail then the 600 is better
Montana is not a Motorcycle specific unit & it shows
Not very glove friendly,
You need SIMPLE when riding a motorcyle unless as you should you stop everytime to use it, but who does.
Complicated & bulky as is it's cradle.
Intermittent battery cannections.
Your statement.....
390s ok if you dont know how to use a sat nav.......
Navigation & data for idiots.......GREAT-GREAT-GREAT-GREAT
User friendly in spades & you don't need an HND in computer programing to use it.
Lightness is everything.

steve172

Post by steve172 »

I recently bought a Garmin Zumo660LM on eBay quite cheaply. Although when it arrived it was boxed up as a reconditioned unit from Garmin. The seller assured me though, that it was indeed a brand new unused item and was willing to back it up with additional guarantee.

My decision to go with this unit was somewhat based on the fact that I was about to head off on a Euro tour a week later and I already had the correct hardwired mount on my bike from the previous owner.

I used a TomTom Rider (older style one) before which had full European mapping, but it was split into zones which you had to manually change depending where you were going. The display was good, and showed time to destination (which my Garmin doesn't), current speed, current speed limit, distance to next turn etc. Was a bit fiddly to use and difficult to operate with gloves on. The unit itself was bulky and fitted to my bike via a RAM mount on the handlebars. I tried to get a dash mount for above the clocks but it was hideous and didn't work very well, hence I went with the Garmin. I haven't used the new TomTom so I cannot comment on that one.

The Garmin Zumo660LM is a nice bit of kit, slimline and looks good on the bike. Comes with full European mapping already installed. I have used it around Europe and did all the basic functions very well, but I have not used it in offroad mode yet or tried installing my own routes etc.. just put in an address and away you go, the co-ord destination is a nice touch and was useful when getting directions to campsites from the ACSI app. The one gripe I had was when you put in a new destination, it tells you how far and how long, but doesn't show you the route. It then proceeds to calculate upon acceptance of that is your destination, surely it should calculate before it tells you how far and how long? Whilst directing, it does not tell you how long/far until destination, but I do like some other features such as how long until next turn and it counts down on screen. It does the usual other stuff... displays speed, speed limit etc and being able to add in a POI such as fuel station as a "via point" to your route is useful. As said, I haven't played with all the features and maybe some of my comments may be wrong.

Return to β€œAbout GPS and GPS routes”