Artic Circle

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
fullerton

Artic Circle

Post by fullerton »

Early days of planning to go up north. Just to throw this out to the forum to avoid any mistakes by others (learn from others) iam not too proud.
I want to get as far and back as i can in 2 weeks, Google says 2500 miles each way dependent on route, want to camp as much as possible and would like to take in some of the massive bridges getting across into Denmark.
Any good routes staying on reasonable roads to get to the good stuff, any advice on free camping or good sites that are reasonably priced and what to avoid.

Ladies and Gents over to you.

Cheers

Steve
sexysi

Re: Artic Circle

Post by sexysi »

Steve have a look at this.

si
Oh, Edmund, can it be true, that I hold here in my mortal hand a nugget of purest green?

2013 Triumph tiger 800 xc

1998 Honda XR 250L

2003 CCM 404 DS

2005 MGTF

https://www.youtube.com/user/kentbyways

http://www.kent-byways.co.uk/

fullerton

Post by fullerton »

Thanks for that Si
deskjetian

Post by deskjetian »

I did a solo trip up the circle in June this year.
I took the Harwich to Esbjerg ferry (no longer running) and then rode up to Hirtshals.
Camped a night there then caught the ferry to Kristiansand. I reckoned it was the fastest way to get to the good roads.
Then I made my way up using my tent or sometimes a camping hut. The latter vary in price. I paid between £30 and £50 which is a lot when you're on your own but after the occasional day riding in solid rain I found them irresistible.
The Trollstigen pass is supposedly in the top 10 biking roads of Europe but I found that the high volume of camper vans ruined it for me. This was echoed by Henry Cole when he rode up there. More rain and snow didn't help either.
The fjord ferries are very good. With one exception (late in the evening), I never had to wait more than 15 minutes for the next one. They always seemed to cost about £5.
I literally only went as far as the circle and then turned for home. I rode back via Sweden and whilst it was OK, I found the roads boring and wished I'd come back through Norway instead.
Then I chose motorways for the trip down to Calais for the Eurotunnel return. My choice but it made me glad I hadn't chosen that route on my way North.
Total trip took 15 days and about 3800 miles. In Norway I usually rode between 100 and 200 miles a day. I had a rough route mapped out in my head but just left fate to dictate where I ended up at the end of each day.
Another ferry company is supposedly taking over the Harwich-Esbjerg route next year so, whilst its not a cheap option, it makes the whole adventure more enjoyable in my opinion.
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

What is this Artic Circle? Presumably it's a ring of large lorries?
PaulinBont

Post by PaulinBont »

daveuprite wrote:What is this Artic Circle? Presumably it's a ring of large lorries?
Somewhere to go to get a postcard and a sticker :whistle:
fullerton

Post by fullerton »

I dont get it, i thought it was cake or it that a roll.
fullerton

Post by fullerton »

could that be said for where ever we go, got a nice badge from Blackpool once
fullerton

Post by fullerton »

thanks deskjetian
boatman

Post by boatman »

I did Scotland to the Nordkapp n back in June

I think it is now way to late in the year for the Arctic .
This was it in J u n e!!!!!!!!
image_2014-09-23.jpg
image_2014-09-23.jpg (46.8 KiB) Viewed 2313 times
image_2014-09-23-2.jpg
image_2014-09-23-2.jpg (72.42 KiB) Viewed 2313 times
That's only the circle. It's a long long way north from there to the top!

Return to “TRAVEL”