i want a big tent

Tents, Sleeping Bags, Oxygen Chambers...that kinda stuff
Mike101

i want a big tent

Post by Mike101 »

Yes i want the impossible.

I want a big tent that i can stand up in.

I want to be able to sit in it on my chair.

I want some form of porch

It must be able to take my camp bed.

it must have an inbuilt ground sheet.

Weight is not really an issue but it needs to be small enough to go across my seat.

I saw some guys at Ullapool with massive tents but how small do they pack up.

If i have to camp i want to be comfy. I never carry a pillion so i have space to carry more.

Any ideas as i;'m not sure what is about or how small they pack away.

Mike
And the beast shall be huge and black, and the eyes thereof red with the blood of living creatures, and the whore of Babylon shall ride forth on a three-headed serpent, and throughout the lands, there'll be a great rubbing of parts
davsato

Re: i want a big tent

Post by davsato »

i found a big porch area is just wasted space. i have a vango juno500 5 man teepee i can stand up in, can put my bike in if i need to come to that. plenty big, doesnt pack too large or heavy, (you can replace the steel pole with a carbon fibre fishing rod if you really wanted to but it doesnt make much difference to the weight in the end). no porch area on mine (from last year they got a small canopy over the door to stop water running in when you open the door), but if youre on your own you got tons of room in there and its breezy enough to cook in zipped up without poisoning yourself. i put a tarp over the front to keep the weather out, anyway. pics and write up in the review section.

i class myself as the typical "rallygoer" not "RTWer" so >£100 tents a stage up from cheap festival rubbish does me.
Dave
APD_660Ten

Post by APD_660Ten »

I'd second the idea of checking out a tipi if you want height. I don't use one but a friend does and it is good. I use a vango omega 350 which I rate for pack size and space when you put it up. Plenty of room. The key area it will be lacking for you would be height. I just use a low seat though. They do an 600xl range that goes up to 1.85m high but pack size is then 60cmx26cm. That said, my 350 is 50cmx20cm and I can fit it in a us30 bag with a summer sleeping bag a mat and a stove.

You mention a fixed ground sheet. Mine has a clip in ground sheet in the porch which I do find useful. If the whether turns bad I leave it half rolled back so that I can walk in with muddy boots and take them off under cover.
sledgegreen

Post by sledgegreen »

Biketrailertent.jpg
Biketrailertent.jpg (53.37 KiB) Viewed 1764 times

Here is my Vango Apollo 500 at last year's December rally. I (5'10") can't quite stand upright in it, but it is tall enough to make dressing/undressing easy. Porch is big enough to sit in a comfortable chair, bedroom is big enough to easily take my bed. Have not tried to get a bike in to it.

I have carried it together with bed and chair across the pillion of my GS850 (also in pic).
Alan29

Post by Alan29 »

Tall tents aren't that stable unless they have a big footprint, which is why almost all 1-3 berth ones aren't 6 foot tall.
Bigdavesmate

Post by Bigdavesmate »

I use an Omega 350, plenty of room, I also use a low seat which I can sit comfortably in the porch to cook if the weather is a bit
IMG_0634.JPG
IMG_0634.JPG (66.71 KiB) Viewed 1764 times
inclement!
Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen.- Louis L'Amour
viince

Post by viince »

friends got one of these any good ?
bought it when on offer at £47.00
http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/hi-gear-eni ... nt-p275792

26105-050213140345891847858.jpg
26105-050213140345891847858.jpg (10.27 KiB) Viewed 1764 times

136.gif
136.gif (27.26 KiB) Viewed 1764 times
What if the hokey cokey is what it's all about
RH_SCOTLAND

Post by RH_SCOTLAND »

Have a look at the Gelert Cabana.

Ticks all the boxes....
Some people are alive simply because its illegal to kill them....
markoh

Post by markoh »

Etesian 4
http://www.terra-nova.co.uk/tents-and-s ... an-4-tent/

Don't own one but have seen one.

Cheers
Mark
markoh

Post by markoh »

Mega Horn II