Are my settings wrong ..

Help, rules, advice and announcements.
smudge

Are my settings wrong ..

Post by smudge »

For some reason ABR website takes forever to load .. really slow as in old dial up days :( once on the site, visiting any messages on the forum also take an age to load up.
It is really taking the pleasure out of my visits to the site, as you can imagine.

All the other sites :whistle: I visit seem almost instant .. have I got some settings wrong for ABR somehow .. has anyone else had a similar problem?

Need some help here :S
appleby

Re: Are my settings wrong ..

Post by appleby »

Me too! This place is slowly grinding to a halt?
And while I'm on one . . Why do we need an email every time someone responds to a thread?
I know you can un-subscribe, but why not press a button to subscribe?:evil:
Alun

Post by Alun »

Strange, I'm getting almost instant loading. I've also checked out the site on 3 different PC's with different browsers and it's performing at a fast rate of knots. A quick look at the server stats tells me its working fine too.

That's not much help to you two guys though. Anyone else having load speed issues?
Paul

Post by Paul »

Alun wrote:Strange, I'm getting almost instant loading. I've also checked out the site on 3 different PC's with different browsers and it's performing at a fast rate of knots. A quick look at the server stats tells me its working fine too.

That's not much help to you two guys though. Anyone else having load speed issues?
Mine is intant :)
LargeWayRound

Post by LargeWayRound »

I have fast loading ..

Load speeds listing on bottom of page ..
Time to create page: 0.55 seconds

Editing this post as speed has got faster .
Time to create page: 0.24 seconds
appleby

Post by appleby »

says 0.45sec at bottom of page, but 10 - 15 seconds is more accurate.
smudge

Post by smudge »

It wasn't a whinge ... I just wanted to know if anyone has had the same problem and how they sorted it.

I may try loading afresh and not from my favourites .. see if that makes any difference :unsure:

In the meantime any other suggestions welcome :)
AckAckFlack

Post by AckAckFlack »

The timings you see on the page are the times it takes the server to execute the page- as it is database driving the server has to build up the links and lists for you to see. 0.5seconds is a reasonable time for this.

This is only half the picture. Once the server deals with the request it has to travel past / through several servers and networks to get to you.
To see if there are any slow machines in the path you could use tracert to check it.
Start a dos box and type in tracert www.adventurebikerider.com
Or you can use this http://tracert.com/trace_exe.html
It will do the same.
The adv forum is run on machines in Germany. My site is also onthe same network- try and see it takes as long to load http://www.gosportsspex.co.uk

A list will appear along with timings to the server. If there are any time outs or long delays then this is the problem and not the forums server.
BBRR - Big Bike Rough Road Riders Group

It's all about how big it is and how Rough you use it :-)

The journey aimed to challenge the perception of blindness…

Usually People call me Sir... closely followed by 'You are making a scene!'
herman

Post by herman »

Auto scan can produce the same effect as can some firewall settings. Might also be worth deleting cookies as these seem to gum up the works but your saved passwords will be ditched.
The secret of a long life is knowing when its time to go.
smudge

Post by smudge »

AckAckFlack wrote:The timings you see on the page are the times it takes the server to execute the page- as it is database driving the server has to build up the links and lists for you to see. 0.5seconds is a reasonable time for this.

This is only half the picture. Once the server deals with the request it has to travel past / through several servers and networks to get to you.
To see if there are any slow machines in the path you could use tracert to check it.
Start a dos box and type in tracert www.adventurebikerider.com
Or you can use this http://tracert.com/trace_exe.html
It will do the same.
The adv forum is run on machines in Germany. My site is also onthe same network- try and see it takes as long to load http://www.gosportsspex.co.uk

A list will appear along with timings to the server. If there are any time outs or long delays then this is the problem and not the forums server.
Thanks Gents,

AckAck .. if there is a slow machine/server on route to me, is there anything I can do about it?

I am not computer literate, please don't think you are being a smartarse explaining things as though I am a bit thick .. cos I am

Return to “WEBSITE AND FORUM STUFF”