E10 Fuels

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
Crossrutted

Re: E10 Fuels

Post by Crossrutted »

Brenhden wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 10:16 am
She doesn't have to know everything. She is there to raise awareness and to help keep the story in the media, something which she was hugely successful at. She is also there to motivate younger people into thinking about their choices. Being old I have no idea if she's done that.
The people who use her as a vehicle are "hugely successful" - i wonder what their motives are?
Seminole

Post by Seminole »

Tramp wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 8:38 pm

Also do all premium high octane fuels in UK contain zero ethanol...

No
Cornishman

Post by Cornishman »

Just an observation… I have been using E10 fuel in my cars, bikes, lawnmowers, chainsaws and outboard since 2009 without any obvious problems. It’s new to the U.K. it’s not a new fuel, it’s a proven success for the majority of petrol engines.
OB1

Post by OB1 »

Cornishman wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 12:01 pm Just an observation… I have been using E10 fuel in my cars, bikes, lawnmowers, chainsaws and outboard since 2009 without any obvious problems. It’s new to the U.K. it’s not a new fuel, it’s a proven success for the majority of petrol engines.

Change always brings out objections. My intention for the original post was to raise awareness, not to spark a discussion about the rights and wrongs of environmentalism and the Luddite attitude of the average middle-aged white male.
A • AND • B • CDN • CH • CN • CY • CYM • CZ • D • DK • E • EST • ET • F • FIN • GR • HK • HR • I • IL • IRL • L • LT • LV • M • N • N-IRL • NL • P • PL • Q • RSM • S • SCO • SCV • SLO • TR • USA • YU
justrtw.com
catcitrus

Post by catcitrus »

Cornishman wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 12:01 pm Just an observation… I have been using E10 fuel in my cars, bikes, lawnmowers, chainsaws and outboard since 2009 without any obvious problems. It’s new to the U.K. it’s not a new fuel, it’s a proven success for the majority of petrol engines.
Define "success" please--do a "well to wheel" type analysis on the whole production process---particularly the bulk fermentation and refinement process of crops, which arguably should be for food, and the energy source for that process including the building of factories required--and convince me that it has "green credentials" through paying for injection of liquid oxygen which has zero energy contribution to the combustion process . I firmly believe its a con to line the pockets of farmers and keep the oil industry "relevant" through bullshit and spin.
Elmer J Fudd

Post by Elmer J Fudd »

OB1 wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 12:05 pm Change always brings out objections. My intention for the original post was to raise awareness, not to spark a discussion about the rights and wrongs of environmentalism and the Luddite attitude of the average middle-aged white male.
Intentional or not the thread has gone that way.....

Discussing the rights and wrongs of environmentalism is a legitimate part of E fuels. They are not actually proven to be better for the environment, but only proven to be a box tick for Governments. Luddites will oppose pretty much any change, the rest of us middle aged (white, black, brown yellow etc.) males and females and others, will ask the questions and await the answers before deciding our final position. Of course we will be paying for the fuel regardless.

Environmentalists and other protesters have a place and we need them, but so few are well enough educated in the subjects in which they protest, that they are as bad as the Luddites. Like flying pickets, the Rent-a-swampie's go from demo to demo, unaware of the subject and do the causes actual harm by chanting the "ban it" mantra without an ability to engage in reasoned debate.

Greta refusing to fly and taking a boat, then the boat crew flying home and other crew flying out to collect the boat? Doh!

Maybe the thread will take another turn....
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

"Greta refusing to fly and taking a boat, then the boat crew flying home and other crew flying out to collect the boat? Doh!"

That's typical behaviour from someone with her type of neurodiversity. It doesn't make it right.

We are now driving down Madness Road at the behest of her and her followers.

I was talking with someone who has got one of the first new battery-electric trucks in the country.

It arrived at the dealer for PDI. Before it could be worked on, it had to be 'decommissioned'...all the batteries discharged and residual voltage removed.

Then it had to be charged up again, and taken to the bodybuilder. Same process repeated, except the bodybuilder couldn't charge it up again, and it had to be towed to somewhere where it could be.

And then to the paintshop...repeat the decommissioning/recommissioning...with the added excitement that there was no knowing if the batteries could stand the temperatures needed to bake the paint without blowing the establishment to smithereens.

Finally, it was finished, and time to deliver it to the depot in London where it would be based. It was calculated that it would take three days for it to travel from Leeds to London, because of the need to recharge it en route. It finally got there on a low-loader pulled (naturally) by a diesel-powered truck.

The voltages in the truck are 600 v DC: absolutely lethal. God knows what might happen in a serious road accident, and that's before we consider the fire hazard of the batteries themselves.

At the CV Show this week there was a mobile charger vehicle for EVs...you've got to laugh!

https://electrek.co/2020/05/06/mobile-e ... rime-time/
catcitrus

Post by catcitrus »

Elmer J Fudd wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 6:18 pm
OB1 wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 12:05 pm Change always brings out objections. My intention for the original post was to raise awareness, not to spark a discussion about the rights and wrongs of environmentalism and the Luddite attitude of the average middle-aged white male.
Intentional or not the thread has gone that way.....

Discussing the rights and wrongs of environmentalism is a legitimate part of E fuels. They are not actually proven to be better for the environment, but only proven to be a box tick for Governments. Luddites will oppose pretty much any change, the rest of us middle aged (white, black, brown yellow etc.) males and females and others, will ask the questions and await the answers before deciding our final position. Of course we will be paying for the fuel regardless.

Environmentalists and other protesters have a place and we need them, but so few are well enough educated in the subjects in which they protest, that they are as bad as the Luddites. Like flying pickets, the Rent-a-swampie's go from demo to demo, unaware of the subject and do the causes actual harm by chanting the "ban it" mantra without an ability to engage in reasoned debate.

Greta refusing to fly and taking a boat, then the boat crew flying home and other crew flying out to collect the boat? Doh!

Maybe the thread will take another turn....
Irrespective of the detail of "Greta's travels" she at least has made a lot more people think and question----and hopefully pick sensible holes in the "elites" plans to continue to line their own pockets on the back of pretending to be for the "greater good" and saving the planet--the rich are getting richer and the billionaires of the world have more wealth than about 40% of the population combined. Fortunately they can't take it with them and all that wealth will not prolong their lifespan by very much.
Last edited by catcitrus on Thu Sep 09, 2021 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cornishman

Post by Cornishman »

catcitrus wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 3:44 pm
Define "success" please--do a "well to wheel" type analysis on the whole production process---particularly the bulk fermentation and refinement process of crops, which arguably should be for food, and the energy source for that process including the building of factories required--and convince me that it has "green credentials" through paying for injection of liquid oxygen which has zero energy contribution to the combustion process . I firmly believe its a con to line the pockets of farmers and keep the oil industry "relevant" through bullshit and spin.
Oh dear picking at straws. It would also help if you responded to what I actually wrote.
Last edited by Cornishman on Wed Sep 08, 2021 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
catcitrus

Post by catcitrus »

Richard Simpson Mark II wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 6:36 pm "Greta refusing to fly and taking a boat, then the boat crew flying home and other crew flying out to collect the boat? Doh!"

That's typical behaviour from someone with her type of neurodiversity. It doesn't make it right.

We are now driving down Madness Road at the behest of her and her followers.

I was talking with someone who has got one of the first new battery-electric trucks in the country.

It arrived at the dealer for PDI. Before it could be worked on, it had to be 'decommissioned'...all the batteries discharged and residual voltage removed.

Then it had to be charged up again, and taken to the bodybuilder. Same process repeated, except the bodybuilder couldn't charge it up again, and it had to be towed to somewhere where it could be.

And then to the paintshop...repeat the decommissioning/recommissioning...with the added excitement that there was no knowing if the batteries could stand the temperatures needed to bake the paint without blowing the establishment to smithereens.

Finally, it was finished, and time to deliver it to the depot in London where it would be based. It was calculated that it would take three days for it to travel from Leeds to London, because of the need to recharge it en route. It finally got there on a low-loader pulled (naturally) by a diesel-powered truck.

The voltages in the truck are 600 v DC: absolutely lethal. God knows what might happen in a serious road accident, and that's before we consider the fire hazard of the batteries themselves.

At the CV Show this week there was a mobile charger vehicle for EVs...you've got to laugh!

https://electrek.co/2020/05/06/mobile-e ... rime-time/
I don't think you can compare at all Greta's concern about carbon emissions--and the white elephant that is the electric(battery) powered vehicle. You illustrate the madness perfectly--but the spin is so strong that almost everyone thinks that they are the solution to helping reduce carbon emissions--a "well to wheel analysis" done fairly will prove the opposite. they need to be charged from a gas fired power station--or even coal at the moment as the wind hasn't blown much in the uk and coal stations are being brought back on line. As I've said before the range will always be limited due to the physical limits of energy density storage. Thats not even addressing all the Li mining and refining using "old tech " power sources, the precious metals used in the complex electronics and power handling systems. Now if we were almost totally nuclear as far as power generation was concerned--or even hydrogen fusion plant, it would make slightly more sense. I haven't even started on cost to the consumer of a new vehicle (and the cost to the environment of the car manufacturing process), and the development of a usable charging infrastructure. Here's a prediction--10 years or so down the line the battery fire will be going out and we will be using hydrogen fuel cells. Also what the hell do you do with the partially spent battery packs--their performance drops off just like a mobile phone--they have a limited effective number of cycles lifetime.

Return to “TECHNICAL”