Mash 400 Adventure

The Things We Ride
OB1

Re: Mash 400 Adventure

Post by OB1 »

I suppose I should have given a bit more background about the trip when I started this thread.

The (provisional) goal is to get to Ulaanbaatar in Mongolia or maybe a bit further, like Magadan or Vladivostok. The time limit is 6 months as Mike is married and will need to get back at some point! If I was doing it on my own, I would keep going for as long as I could.

We really want to keep off the beaten path when in Europe; probably taking on the eastern routes of the TET and visiting stuff that interests us rather than what the tour guide tells you. Once we're out of western Europe, we want to head over to Ukraine and then south through Romania and Bulgaria, through Turkey and Iran to get to the Stans and Mongolia. The return leg will be mainly through Russia and, hopefully, up through Scandinavia before getting the ferry back to Harwich.

Yes, we want small and light bikes but we also want to take hard luggage: that's just our preference. This could rule out some of the bikes that are based on trail bikes like the CRF as the stress on the sub-frame may be too much. I know that 190 kg sounds heavy but I currently ride a Triumph Tiger 800 XCx and Mike rides a Versys 1000, so anything under 200 kg is light for us!

Cost is also a big issue for me: I want to stay under £5,000... otherwise we'd both be getting a KTM 790 Adventure R!

Height is a big issue for Mike: even though we are similar height, his legs are shorter and he struggles to reach the ground on bikes that I can flat-foot. I would also rather be flat-footing it when we're in sand or on a knackered old road.

We have a website/blog kind of thing going on over here: http://www.trailsoftheunexpected.co.uk/ if anyone wants to follow along. ;)
A • AND • B • CDN • CH • CN • CY • CYM • CZ • D • DK • E • EST • ET • F • FIN • GR • HK • HR • I • IL • IRL • L • LT • LV • M • N • N-IRL • NL • P • PL • Q • RSM • S • SCO • SCV • SLO • TR • USA • YU
justrtw.com
qcnr

Post by qcnr »

If you think the CRF won't suit your use, check out https://www.facebook.com/benkingontheroad/
Seems to fit the bill perfectly ;)
minkyhead

Post by minkyhead »

id do this ..

download the uk tet northern section ....pay me 175 quid for the weekend hire ....chuck me luggage on and go and find out how it performs /fits the bill ...
ive done all the uk northern tet route and done a lot in albania monternegro macidonia bulgaria and there are similaities in so mech you get a big mix of roads and tracks

see how the mop flops

http://www.dcclassicmotorcycles.co.uk/t ... _costs.htm
whats the wether forcast ..wheres me map
OB1

Post by OB1 »

minkyhead wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:52 pm id do this ..

download the uk tet northern section ....pay me 175 quid for the weekend hire ....chuck me luggage on and go and find out how it performs /fits the bill ...
ive done all the uk northern tet route and done a lot in albania monternegro macidonia bulgaria and there are similaities in so mech you get a big mix of roads and tracks

see how the mop flops

http://www.dcclassicmotorcycles.co.uk/t ... _costs.htm

Thanks, Minky, we might just do that!
A • AND • B • CDN • CH • CN • CY • CYM • CZ • D • DK • E • EST • ET • F • FIN • GR • HK • HR • I • IL • IRL • L • LT • LV • M • N • N-IRL • NL • P • PL • Q • RSM • S • SCO • SCV • SLO • TR • USA • YU
justrtw.com
nathanm

Post by nathanm »

minkyhead wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:48 am if were looking for a budget off roader /adv bike around the 25hp class

crf 250rally

it is much more capable off road imho gives away nothing in performance has massivly bigger service intervals ..global distribution and spares ..and proven time and again to stay the course ....

if i were just wanting a rugged road bike without the single track possibilities of the crf id bypass them all and go with a xt 660 which is a far supiror engine to the enfield ...my thinking is if im going to lug a 190 kgm bike around i may as well have a engine that is suited to the task

just my two bobs worth

sounds a great trip whatever you choose 8-)
Have you ridden a Himalayan yet Minky? Only reason I say is that to mind mind the Himalayan and the Tenere are completely different animals. From the saddle the Enfield is not half as tall and upper bike heavy as the Tenere so for proper back road travelling I'd go Enfield over the Tenere anyday. I'm even going to put my neck on the block and say that dynamically it's superior on the trails as well, ground clearance aside. But obviously on the road the Tenere would leave the Enfield standing. The CRF, well, we all have our vices.
nathanm

Post by nathanm »

I was only joking about the CRF by the way. Could be a good option if you can get around your need for hard luggage. I believe Ben has hard luggage on his.

Another option could be Versys 300. Some good deals on them at the minute. They'd be ok on the trails.

But really you just need to go out and get some test rides and to be honest which ever of those bikes you've got your eye will make the trip.
OB1

Post by OB1 »

nathanm wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:17 pm I was only joking about the CRF by the way. Could be a good option if you can get around your need for hard luggage. I believe Ben has hard luggage on his.

Another option could be Versys 300. Some good deals on them at the minute. They'd be ok on the trails.

But really you just need to go out and get some test rides and to be honest which ever of those bikes you've got your eye will make the trip.

We're taking the Versys 300 out for a test ride this weekend.

I think we'll have to pop up to Minky's and take the Himalayan down the trails as that's the only way we'll really get to see what they are like in what will be a real world situation for us.
justrtw.com
Chris S

Post by Chris S »

Minky is up north?
There's also a dealer in Keighley who rents Hims out for 80 quid a day.
There must be some trails up there to try.
Well worth it IMO.
When I briefly test rode one the other month, it sure didn't feel anywhere near as heavy as claimed or my slightly lighter XSR Scrambler.
CoG and the seat are low - makes a huge difference to bike control off road plus shorties' confidence, while IMO ground clearance looked OK. If not, firm up the springs?

Sounds like a long hard trip in the pipeline - whatever you take is going to get hammered.
herman

Post by herman »

As long as you realise that you will always be on the wrong bike , mostly, no matter what you choose then you will be fine. I have gone for the RR CB500x personally.
The secret of a long life is knowing when its time to go.
diggermanbob

Post by diggermanbob »

Just buy an xt660r it will take you wherever you want to go , it's got bullet proof motor , spares if you need any are readily available, comfortable to ride , great bikes :D

Return to “BIKES”