MOT Requirements

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
bowber

Re: MOT Requirements

Post by bowber »

On the subject of MOT's, I wonder why we require one every year but a lot or EU countries are every 2 years?
When they dropped MOT's fro old (pre 1960?) vehicles I thought that was wrong and they should have just dropped it to 2 or 3 years.

Steve
Philiptigerrice

Post by Philiptigerrice »

The whole thing is pretty confusing to be fair....

I've been told my bike will fail the MOT for an amber warning light - as the front TPG is missing after I bust it.

I dont need or want a built in TPG - but the amber light will glow forever...

Some say I'll pass the MOT as its not a red warning light... but we'll find out next week! Lol
Greater Manchester
R1200 GS Adv ('08)
Philiptigerrice

Post by Philiptigerrice »

(I asked the guy when I booked it - and he can't think of any standard it fails on- for having an amber light - or no TPG.... and he's doing the MOT!) (thumbs)
Greater Manchester
R1200 GS Adv ('08)
ollydog

Post by ollydog »

byewayrider wrote:If it was fitted as std then they must work ...you cqnt remove lights etc if bike was designated for night time use and had indicators etc fitted..

I may be wrong though lol...
had this talk with the inspector a few weeks ago, if the bike has no lights or switch gear for example they cannot test so the cannot fail put would put a provision on the advisory sheet.

i think big al on the site is an examiner he would know

steve
Big Yellow Tractor

Post by Big Yellow Tractor »

For a "Daylight Use Only" MoT you just need a working horn and an full-size number plate. When I MoT my trials bike, I velcro the numberplate on when I get to the test station. It has a piezo from maplin connected to a PP3 and goes "neeeep"

I always have full MoT on trail bikes though because often I get back after dusk and I don't want the hassle of getting nicked.
beddowsm

Post by beddowsm »

Well got home from work and thought Id get the husky ready for her MOT. So looked in my box of spares and I have a horn. So cable tied the switches in a suitable place (horn and lights), and cable tied the horn in place. So bar the indicators I have a working bike!
Zebedee

Post by Zebedee »

Only need indicators if the bike originally supplied with rear foot pegs.
In which case also need a chain guard.

As regards brake lights these only have to be fitted to front or rear provided that is how the bike was originally supplied but must be working (may be a manufactured before date for this, but my 2001 DRZ didn't have a problem).

Number plate size is not an MOT requirement this is covered by C&U regs, but it must be readable from the rear of the bike at a distance of I think 10 metre.

Any light that is fitted where the lens is visible i.e. not masked must be working.

Only requirement for switch position I think is that it must be reachable from the riding position, does not have to be easy to operate.
big al

Post by big al »

Hi philliptiggerice, the tpg is not part of the mot test nor is abs on motorcycles (thumbs)
hope this helps.
big al

Post by big al »

Hi zebadee yor right the number plate size is not a requirement but the letter size and spacing is thefore you need a suitable size plate to accomodate the letters and spacing. (thumbs)
If brake lights are fitted then they must be working , whether or not the brake switch is fitted to the front brake lever or rear brake leaver.
All bikes need a chain gaurd.
if indicators are dfitted they must all work .
if the bike has a dual seat then rear footpegs must be fitted, if removed then its a fail.
if its a single seat and no rear footpegs then thats a pass.
lights, if thet are masked up or removed for whatever reason then ther must not be a switch fitted . IE the light switch must be removed .
big al

Post by big al »

Hi big yellow tractor.
if you have a Daytime only Mot it should state on the mot certificate that NO LIGHTS FITTED AT TIM OF TEST. In the advisory section.
however you must not ride on road after dusk otherwise you do not have an Mot and your insurance will be void and will be suject to the penalty of the law.

Return to “TECHNICAL”