bleedin french laws

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
john-g

Re: bleedin french laws

Post by john-g »

Two of us each did 2,000 miles across France and around the Alps during June. Had a great time, all Hotels had people that spoke good English except one small family place and the Owner there bought us beers on arrival. Food was very good though often lacked potatoes unless asked for, generally beer expensive but jugs of local wine were excellent and cheap.

No problems with speeding, Traps or Police in general. Had a high vis jacket packed in pannier just in case of breakdown but not needed, carried spare bulbs as would in the UK or Spain. I have previously fitted reflectors to my Helmet that I had bought on the Web, black reflective stickers to go on a black helmet and forget they are there now.

For somebody who in the past has slagged the French, I'm a convert. Besides I've found that other than for those on Corsica, their roads are good and make ours look Third World in comparison.
Mac 60

Post by Mac 60 »

I like France for a number of reasons but tend to get out of Northern France pretty quickly Althouth my last visit was cut short. Still several days in a French hospital reinforced my belief that the french are generally nice people. Had them talking some pretty good Norn Iron before i left lol. Al as for the language its not so simple for an English speaker. Haveing lived in Germany 1980/1985 my German was workable but just what Euro language should we choose to learn or should we try to learn a little of them all. This being pointed out by my at the time German girlfriend. Even in a French hospital the nurses where keen to practice English on me and as soon as i attempted my dismal French they would answer in better English.
Stray Dog

Post by Stray Dog »

I'm off for a quick blat over to Bordeaux and the Atlantic coast this afternoon.
Why? Because I can.. (thumbs)

Won't be carrying bulbs,brethliserkits, warning triangles, Reflective stickers, etc,etc
I hope I don't get busted.. :P

Dog
ChasF

Post by ChasF »

Stray Dog wrote:I'm off for a quick blat over to Bordeaux and the Atlantic coast this afternoon.
Why? Because I can.. (thumbs)

Won't be carrying bulbs,brethliserkits, warning triangles, Reflective stickers, etc,etc
I hope I don't get busted.. :P

Dog
It may be the 'quick' bit that gets you busted.

In some parts of the country they can impound your bike if you're caught doing 30kph over either a 50 or 70 limit.
boboneleg

Post by boboneleg »

moto al wrote: no doubt . Il be hanged oot too dry, it's a shame folk from the uk have the arrogance too think every one should speak English . Utter merde . :whistle:
Spot on Al (thumbs)
one-legged adventurer
AndyB

Post by AndyB »

As far as I'm concerned the first rule of travel is to learn how to say please and thank you then how to order beer & tabs plus count up to 10.

It's easy really and if you're struggling google translate will do the job. I can never understand why some people expect a British menu in restaurants abroad when they can point a phone at the local one to translate it and British restaurants don't cater for overseas visitors.
ChasF

Post by ChasF »

I'm always surprised at the number of Brits who still belive that 'they all speak English, don't they', and if someone won't (because they can't) they're just doing it to be bloody minded. Frustration then kicks in and it often gets very embarrassing.
Redmurty

Post by Redmurty »

boboneleg wrote:
moto al wrote: no doubt . Il be hanged oot too dry, it's a shame folk from the uk have the arrogance too think every one should speak English . Utter merde . :whistle:
Spot on Al (thumbs)
they should speak English as we wupped their asses at Waterloo :whistle: or was it Euston :pinch:

cheers Spud ;)
Life... it's not a dress rehearsal

You don't waste time... you waste yourself
Tramp

Post by Tramp »

Stray dog....say hi to Arachon and pick up a nice bottle of st Emellion for me ...now theres a nice chap..spiffing eh what...

Arrogance is another form of lazyness when it comes to some uk nationals abroad...I once tried mandarin lol...got a few laughs and a nice meal for trying..
Redmurty

Post by Redmurty »

one of the guys who was on the trip in Iceland thought the locals were rude and arrogant as they never said hello or goodbye, never noticed myself as your lucky to get a grunt out of me :whistle:

I found the locals really friendly, with regards to France just say hello it helps (thumbs)

6 of us walk into a bar in Germany I say to the barman "Drie beer bitte" (sp?) he gave me an odd look then pulled 3 beers he hands then over and I say again "drie beer Bitte" to which he starts laughing and said in perfect English "why did you not ask for 6 beers" I replied " couldn't remember the number" he laughed more and gave me a freeby (thumbs)

cheers Spud ;)
Life... it's not a dress rehearsal

You don't waste time... you waste yourself

Return to “THE PUB”