XR400 Engine blip! Advice please??

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
Redmurty

Re: XR400 Engine blip! Advice please??

Post by Redmurty »

picos mestizo wrote:
johnnyboxer wrote:
SteveR wrote:
johnnyboxer wrote:
SteveR wrote:All the bits I ordered arrived this morning, EXCEPT the bloody filters!! :-( Damn!!

I would go to the local bike shop for this sort of stuff, but there isn't one...
I wonder why?

Because nobody supports them, do they :whistle:
Never a truer word... I supported my local dealers up to almost their last day, (missed out on the Final Offers mind) and I try to do the same for other stuff I need for the farm and the like, but it is getting harder all the time. I needed some special copper washers yesterday, and ended up getting them online as I was not willing to waste any more time running around as even my "special" engineering contacts could not help. 5 mins on fleabay and they were here inside 15hrs.

I prefer to buy bike gear, especially helmets, from a shop, as I hate the buy/try/return/buy/try/return cycle that my daughters seem to love so much!!
Me too

Couldn't give a toss, if it's dearer locally either
Lucky that you can afford to do that.
For most it's the best price & service that gets the business as long as the quality is ok.
Not much point in buying locally if they haven't got stock & have to order the part.
This situation is not the punters or dealers fault but the manufacturers who supply every "fred & his shed" as well as supplying direct.
It's simple to cure & is called Channel Strategy which doesn't seem to exist in the automotive parts industry.
Tried to get a simple electric part recently stunned what response I was getting off the dealers and workshop including car places I visited spoke to an local sparky who fixed the problem in 5 mins flat.

Cuts both ways

cheers Spud ;)
Life... it's not a dress rehearsal

You don't waste time... you waste yourself
picos mestizo

Post by picos mestizo »

Redmurty wrote:
picos mestizo wrote:
johnnyboxer wrote:
SteveR wrote:
johnnyboxer wrote:
SteveR wrote:All the bits I ordered arrived this morning, EXCEPT the bloody filters!! :-( Damn!!

I would go to the local bike shop for this sort of stuff, but there isn't one...
I wonder why?

Never a truer word... I supported my local dealers up to almost their last day, (missed out on the Final Offers mind) and I try to do the same for other stuff I need for the farm and the like, but it is getting harder all the time. I needed some special copper washers yesterday, and ended up getting them online as I was not willing to waste any more time running around as even my "special" engineering contacts could not help. 5 mins on fleabay and they were here inside 15hrs.

I prefer to buy bike gear, especially helmets, from a shop, as I hate the buy/try/return/buy/try/return cycle that my daughters seem to love so much!!
Me too

For most it's the best price & service that gets the business as long as the quality is ok.
Not much point in buying locally if they haven't got stock & have to order the part.
This situation is not the punters or dealers fault but the manufacturers who supply every "fred & his shed" as well as supplying direct.
It's simple to cure & is called Channel Strategy which doesn't seem to exist in the automotive parts industry.
Tried to get a simple electric part recently stunned what response I was getting off the dealers and workshop including car places I visited spoke to an local sparky who fixed the problem in 5 mins flat.

Cuts both ways

cheers Spud ;)
I should also have said that the "Freds & their Sheds" in many cases add no value to the parts whatsoever because they haven't a clue what the parts are for or what models they fit.
Lightness is everything.

Lightness with Grunt is a Scratcher!

An Adventure is not a tank transfer.
johnnyboxer

Post by johnnyboxer »

picos mestizo wrote:
johnnyboxer wrote:
SteveR wrote:
johnnyboxer wrote:

I wonder why?

Me too

Yep, I can afford it, so what's the fucking problem :whistle:

Supporting local jobs and quality service, whilst paying a higher price suits me just fine

My local bike shops do a superb job, too (thumbs)
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
picos mestizo

Post by picos mestizo »

johnnyboxer wrote:
picos mestizo wrote:
johnnyboxer wrote:
SteveR wrote:
johnnyboxer wrote:

I wonder why?

Me too

Yep, I can afford it, so what's the fucking problem :whistle:

Supporting local jobs and quality service, whilst paying a higher price suits me just fine

My local bike shops do a superb job, too (thumbs)
The fucking problem as you put it is that my local dealer is Yamaha & not able to supply parts for Suzuki, Triumph, BSA, BMW, Honda or Kawasaki.
What they do get is my MOT business.
Lightness is everything.

Lightness with Grunt is a Scratcher!

An Adventure is not a tank transfer.
Tramp

Post by Tramp »

Scrap scrap.....where,s my handbag....l
bull

Post by bull »

what happens sometimes when lads put back on the petrol tank, is that they never think to check the petcock tap for dirt before they attach it to the fuel line, always check the petcock tap before you hook it up to the fuel line, especially if the tank and petcock was resting on the ground

what can happened is very simple, when you put the tank on the ground, the petcock might be resting on the ground and dirt gets into it, so when you attach the fuel line and turn on the tap the dirt runs down into the carbs and blocks a jet or maybe cause a sticky float,

and then lads have no idea where the dirt came from, or how it got into the carb because they thought everything was clean, but they never thought of petcock resting on the ground

what I always do before I attach the fuel line to petcock, is I turn on the petcock and let it run for a second or two into a glass to wash away any dirt the might have lodged in the petcock, then I turn off the petcock again and attach the fuel line

but the best thing is not to let the petcock rest on the ground or dirty workbench, or anything dusty or dirty

anyway, thats my view
bull

Post by bull »

and another thing lads might do and it makes me laugh sometimes, so it does

is they pull into a garage to fill up with petrol on a rainy day,

then they open the petrol tank and look into it to see how much fuel is in the tank, but are still wearing their wet helmet,

and so the water runs down the helmet and visor and into the petrol tank without them seeing it :laugh:

a winter riding tip, don't look into the petrol tank with a wet helmet :P
bull

Re: Re: XR400 Engine blip! Advice please??

Post by bull »

its happened me a few times over the years, but it never caused any problems

its just something to think about,

because no one wants any water getting into their petrol tank, even if its only a few drops

just in case it might cause problems

anyway, that's my view
SteveR

Post by SteveR »

bull wrote:and another thing lads might do and it makes me laugh sometimes, so it does

is they pull into a garage to fill up with petrol on a rainy day,

then they open the petrol tank and look into it to see how much fuel is in the tank, but are still wearing their wet helmet,

and so the water runs down the helmet and visor and into the petrol tank without them seeing it :laugh:

a winter riding tip, don't look into the petrol with a wet helmet :P
Seen that years ago in Wales.... Yep it was raining!!
SHarper

Post by SHarper »

Dear Mr Ooar. Please make sure you have my phone number when you set off on your adventure South; any problems when in the land of garlic munchers, let me know, if we can't fix it or fit it in the van you can swap it for my bike and we'll sort it out in Catalunia.

And that goes for anyone that knows me, PM me if you don't have my mobile number and would like it. We'll be doing all our travelling on the Saturday.

Return to “TECHNICAL”