offset handlebars

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
Highcliffe Jim

offset handlebars

Post by Highcliffe Jim »

Hi all,

I've got a niggle with my KLE.

when moving the handlebars seem to be slightly 'off true', not too bad but slightly noticeable. ( 2 degrees or so?)

What's the best method of getting them true to the direction of the bike again? Loosen everything off and re tighten?

Hope someone has a pearl of wisdom!

Jimbo.
Mark Manley

Re:offset handlebars

Post by Mark Manley »

That should work unless the bars themselves are actually bent. In this case it is not always easy to straighten them and you might either have to put up with it or replace them.
A wise man is one who doesn't make the same mistake once.
Highcliffe Jim

Post by Highcliffe Jim »

Thanks Mark. I'll give iot a go at the weekend. Bars themselves look fairly straight.
davsato

Post by davsato »

dont know KLE's, are the bars steel? the original steel bars on my XT600E were made of cheese and seemed to bend even if left in the sun too long! since swapping to alloy (not even renthals, just cheapo generic unbranded things) no more problems, and they are much stronger too. the downside is if you do bend them they are harder to straighten than steel bars.
Dave
scouse

Post by scouse »

Highcliffe Jim wrote:
Hi all,

I've got a niggle with my KLE.
Just the one ?!?
Gaffer tape is The Force! It has a light side and a dark side and holds the Universe together!

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth." - Steve McQueen
Highcliffe Jim

Post by Highcliffe Jim »

LOL !:laugh:
africajim

Post by africajim »

Tee hee! I had a KLE as a winter hack last yr, absolutely hated it! LOL!

The forks are maybe not sitting in the yolks square, slacken them off, straighten everything up and retighten, should be fine, if no, bars may be bent. Replace with Renthals or equivilent.
Honda, the power of dreams.
trophydave

Post by trophydave »

My Africa Twin is the same,the bars sit very slightly turned to the right.I have tried slackening evrything off,bouncing,twisting etc but no luck.I am going to strip the front end down soon to find the cause.The best solution I have found is to use my tankbag,that way I can't see the centre of the bars when I am riding along.
herman

Post by herman »

Bit of an odd thought but it's not you that is not sitting straight on the bike is it? When you follow most riders very few seem to sit straight and some look like they are about to corner. You have several bikes too,could it be one of those is out of line and makes the kwak seem crooked? Alternativly try crashing on the non bent side, it may straighten things up . :side:
The secret of a long life is knowing when its time to go.
africajim

Post by africajim »

Ha ha! "Try crashing!" I like that one !!!!

Sorry, drunk!
Honda, the power of dreams.

Return to “TECHNICAL”