Emergency SMS

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
sprintster

Emergency SMS

Post by sprintster »

I did a basic navigation course yesterday and was told something that is really good to know if you do any kind of sport or bike riding in remote areas.
If you register your mobile for emergency SMS you can send a 999 text to the emergency services even if your phone says it has no signal! (I think they use military satellites instead of phone providers or something.)
All you have to do to register is text the word "register" to 999.You will receive a reply,when you have read the text reply "yes".You will then receive another message saying either your phone is registered or there has been a problem with the registration. (thumbs)
TomBoyNI

Re: Emergency SMS

Post by TomBoyNI »

Do they charge for the registration?
Boo :-p

https://tbni.blog
Motorcycling | Technology | Photography
sprintster

Post by sprintster »

TomBoyNI wrote:Do they charge for the registration?
No,it's a free service and it will work for any phone.I did it on my £9 Tesco pay as you go mobile. (thumbs)
FERDINAND PICK

Post by FERDINAND PICK »

Its a good idea but i notice when I'm without signal i'm all ways able to make an 'emergency' call to 999???. So I'm more in favour of calling them up and crying my coordinates down the line to them, while answering stupid questions like 'am i breathing?' ' am i turning blue?' then finally receiving quality first aid tips and other assorted stories to keep me distracted while i wait for the paramedic.

So, good idea, but Ive always hated typing what could say, apart from when the missis is involved. :whistle:
Simon_100

Post by Simon_100 »

This has been a problem for me here in Spain where mobile covergae is bvery bad, worse still in many places depending on your supplier.

But the '112' emergemncy service works absolutely everywhere, I've checked with the forestry patrols, and does indeed work via a seperate 'military' system.

They also have operators in all the major European languages . . .

Regs

Simon
Be sure to visit www.thespanishbiker.com the invaluable guide to motorcycling in Spain - plus guided rides, HISS Events* and off road touring support service

*Highly Informal Sojourns in Spain
andymac

Post by andymac »

just done it (thumbs)
http://emergencySMS.ORG.UK
work hard,,,,,,,,,,,play harder !!
Tonibe63

Post by Tonibe63 »

The 112 number also locates where you are
"If the caller does not know where he is, the operator will identify where the person making the call is physically located and will pass it to the emergency authorities so that these can help immediately."
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.
Zebedee

Post by Zebedee »

FERDINAND PICK wrote:Its a good idea but i notice when I'm without signal i'm all ways able to make an 'emergency' call to 999???. So I'm more in favour of calling them up and crying my coordinates down the line to them, while answering stupid questions like 'am i breathing?' ' am i turning blue?' then finally receiving quality first aid tips and other assorted stories to keep me distracted while i wait for the paramedic.

So, good idea, but Ive always hated typing what could say, apart from when the missis is involved. :whistle:
Don't know if the situation has changed but about 5 years ago I witnessed a theft from a car in the Yorkshire Dales and ended up driving for about 2 miles before we could get through to the police on 999. They could pick up my location though.
peterjt

Post by peterjt »

andymac wrote:just done it (thumbs)
http://emergencySMS.ORG.UK
Just checked the website and this is what they say

"The emergencySMS service lets deaf, hard of hearing and speech-impaired people in the UK send an SMS text message to the UK 999 service where it will be passed to the police, ambulance, fire rescue, or coastguard."

Return to “THE PUB”