Message box issues on mac

Help, rules, advice and announcements.
Elle

Message box issues on mac

Post by Elle »

I don't know if this is my new Macbook or a general Safari issue as I'm new to having an Apple laptop.
This is OS X 10.9 & Safari 7.0.3

When using Quote in response, I frequently amend the quoted text to emphasise a particular comment. But using the backspace key often deletes all the text in the message box. It's really frustrating. I seem to be able to delete some of the text but then one more backspace & it all disappears.
Frequently, I have to copy the text into Pages, write what I intend to post then submit a new reply.

It doesn't seem to happen in other forums & never used to happen on my Windows netbook :whistle:
living an ordinary life in a non-ordinary way
MikeA

Re: Message box issues on mac

Post by MikeA »

This is OS X 10.9 & Safari 7.0.3

Not sure it will make a difference, but if you update to the latest safari 7.0.4 and OS X 10.9.3, it just maybe a glitch/bug that has now been ironed out. I deleted a few parts when quoting your line above, using a Macbook, and it seems to work fine.

Click Apple logo (top left) > Software Update > Updates.

For now maybe try a few other ways of deleting the text If you haven’t already, e.g blue highlight the text, then back space, or if that doesn't work, highlight the text then key a ‘full stop’ etc.

Must say these sorts of glitches are rare but do eventually get a fix.

Mike (thumbs)
1190 Adventure R

A garage full of DR350's

"Is the fuel tap on?"
TomBoyNI

Post by TomBoyNI »

Check the sensitivity settings on your track pad. A long shot but just in case you are clicking but the Mac is registering double clicks or something and ultimately selecting text that you don't mean to be.
Boo :-p

https://tbni.blog
Motorcycling | Technology | Photography
PaulG

Post by PaulG »

Elle,

I found exactly the same problem on my MacBook Pro using OS X 10.9.3 and Safari 7.0.3. I ended up highlighting the text and then cutting and pasting to get round the problem.

Picked up on what MikeA said above and went on App Store today and found Safari 7.0.4 ready to download. Did the download and checked whether it made any difference by playing around with a forum quote. It has corrected the problem and I can now delete parts of a quote at will no problem and it doesn't delete the whole thing either on it's own.

So if you haven't already...........get those updates onto your computer and you'll be sorted.

All the best.

Thanks to MikeA for info.

Paul :)
Elle

Post by Elle »

PaulG wrote:Elle,

I found exactly the same problem on my MacBook Pro using OS X 10.9.3 and Safari 7.0.3. I ended up highlighting the text and then cutting and pasting to get round the problem.

So if you haven't already...........get those updates onto your computer and you'll be sorted.

Paul :)
thank you all (thumbs)
my mac is on 10.9.3 (I forgot to add the .3 earlier)
I upgraded to 7.0.4 last night but sadly, it's just the same this evening - I tried deleting more characters from the above post but what remains is all it allows before removing the whole message :(
Elle

Post by Elle »

Oddly, this issue has returned.
Quote a message to reply, try to edit the post by removing some of the text & it all gets deleted!

And tonight I've realised, when using my iPad, I can't see videos :(

Whatever software this forum is based on, it doesn't like Macs.
rickbat

Post by rickbat »

Elle wrote:Oddly, this issue has returned.
Quote a message to reply, try to edit the post by removing some of the text & it all gets deleted!

nothing to do with the forum im afraid, its just really apple products that dont like playing ball with everyone else, another shiny example its the auto corrects on iphones, some of them can be quite embarrassing to be honest :blush:
If it doesnt have dirt on it, its because you're not riding it hard enough

OB1

Post by OB1 »

Elle wrote:Oddly, this issue has returned.

This happened to me a few times, however, I found that it wasn't actually deleting all of the text. If you click the live preview, your text will reappear!

A • AND • B • CDN • CH • CN • CY • CYM • CZ • D • DK • E • EST • ET • F • FIN • GR • HK • HR • I • IL • IRL • L • LT • LV • M • N • N-IRL • NL • P • PL • Q • RSM • S • SCO • SCV • SLO • TR • USA • YU
justrtw.com
Elle

Post by Elle »

Never knew a preview option was available! Found it, thank you :)

Return to “WEBSITE AND FORUM STUFF”