Ride Report - Biking and Camping Weekend

Moorso
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@alternate-road

Ride Report - Biking and Camping Weekend

Post by Moorso »

I will, hopefully, be doing a more detailed report on my blog, but thought I’d give a brief synopsis here. The plan was for a biking and camping weekend with no particular route....just to go where the road took us. The last time I had used my tent was at the Oxygen festival here in either 2006 or 2007! I had taken the precaution of airing out the smell that was funkier than James Brown’s cloak several days in advance though, although as things would turn out, I could have maybe done with some form of smell as an insect repellent! My mate, Kivi, arrived up after work on Friday night and we set about packing the bikes. I had had to get soft Givi luggage that afternoon as the hard pannier on the right side won’t fit with the new carbon exhaust (something I will have to rectify...and I have been informed that it is the pannier that will have to be adjusted, rather than the exhaust!). But the soft luggage happily took everything I wanted and the tent was strapped to the seat all was well. I got the Givi luggage of Gumtree for a bit of a bargain price, so I am quite content. We set off to an ABR Ireland favourite....Meelmore. The drive down was a joy, taking the back roads through Killyleagh and Downpatrick to Newcastle, but we arrived just in time with the light fading and the mist rolling over Slieve Meelmore onto the site. It had been so long since I put the tent up it was a bit of a faff....I could feel the midges crawling all over me as I began to sweat in the humid conditions with my sweating made worse by my frustration with a tent pole. Sure enough, I awoke to find I had, literally, been eaten alive. No matter though, we were off to Castlewellan for a morning fry........ As we sat and watched the world go by, and several cappuccinos later, we realised that similar interests were ideal for a biking weekend. I love National Trust(esque) houses and properties, and the roads to them are usually fun on a bike, so we decided to go to Ardress House. A smaller manorial site, but quainter as a result. The A29 road turned out to be a bit of a peach; even the leaden skies could not constrain the grin within my helmet. The road cuts through rolling drumlin countryside, pierced only by the occasional farms and hamlets, the road has plenty of banked switch-back corners before you pass through small to medium towns. We passed through my father’s hometown of Dungannon....a place I haven’t been to since I was a boy, mores the pity. We turned off for Ardress House, a rough stone laneway flanked by apple orchards gives way to a more impressive mature tree-lined driveway, past the front facade of the building to the farmyard at the rear. Here you can wander round feeding the inquisitive chickens, avoiding the hissing geese and trying to pet the baby goats, all the while Kivi (complete with his Fred Dibnah t-shirt) marvelled at the plethora of period farm machinery; “by ‘eck it were grand” as Fred would no doubt have said! We took the tour of the main house, initially a 16th century grand-ish farmhouse later extended in a mock Georgian style. However, the property would be dwarfed by the larger National Trust properties (e.g., Mount Stewart etc) and is definitely more of a functioning farm house rather than a grand palace or manor site. But it has a quaint feel and you are able to walk around with only a few other visitors, rather than crowds. It started to rain, but this was of no consequence. We knew where we were heading next.....Springwell. Kivi has a ‘touring in the trees’ pass which enables him and his other half to use sites all the year round that are off limits to other people. Springwell is such a site. It sits atop the Coleraine Mountain and was in sharp contrast to Meelmore as it was quiet, secluded and peaceful (which I much preferred). There were also less midges! Having had the previous night to practice, I was a lot more proficient at erecting my tent, and it was up in under 10 minutes. I was able to relax. The next morning promised one of the nicest fries I would have (apparently) in Rocca (Coleraine). The town centre was agreeably quiet on the Sunday morning, and sure enough, the fry was rather special. The Sunday route (the journey home) would take in the north coast road, but this time I was determined to take the Torr Head route, a more challenging twisty, undulating road that I had only been on once before. It didn’t disappoint. The views were magnificent and the riding challenging and more enjoyable as a result. We overtook the Sunday drivers with ease. I have to say, once onto the main coast route, I was disappointed. We have done this road, I suspect like many other bikers here, many times. But I am almost bored with it now...and there are usually a lot of a**holes on the road and today was no exception....Kivi nearly being wiped out by a Citroën driver who overtook on a blind corner. The next trip is planned for some time in August, with Tyrone mooted as the potential destination. I still dream of heading off to the Black Forest or a similar location on the bikes.....but these mini ‘adventures’ will have to do in the interim.....I like them....they aren’t so bad!!
Web: www.alternate-road.blogspot.co.uk/

Author of: 'Valhalla and the Fjörd'
92kk k100lt 193214

Re: Ride Report - Biking and Camping Weekend

Post by 92kk k100lt 193214 »

Moorso

That's a lovely post.

I too share a love of these properties and we have also found they seem to have the nicest bike roads along with Sunday drivers. The only problem sometimes is they don't all go home on the Sunday so you meet them any day.

Torr Head drive is so well worth it.

We meet up at Café Chimes [now Café Delite] up at the square in Hillsborough. A good Ulster Fry there and across the road to the Tourist Office which is more than a Tourist Office. The Café doesn't have toilets so that's where you are sent. The shop, the centre and temptation over there means you should allow a decent toilet break.

Lots of place further south too and a good welcome for bikers. If you want a longish trip there is Ireland's most haunted house called Loftus Hall http://www.loftushall.ie/index.html down in Wexford, a nearby head called Hook Head [Lighthouse] and a quaint harbour called Slade. Up the east coast of Waterford Harbour on some nice bike roads and a cross river ferry [Ballyhack/Arthurstown to Passage East] brings you to the M9/M8/M50/M1 route back up north if you fancy or need a motorway blast. Otherwise many non motorway routes down.

As you mention wild camping Hook Head http://hookheritage.ie/ is a great place for it, grass between the road and sea [on the left in the photo from the top of the lighthouse], lighthouse has a café and toilets etc and of course a tour of the lighthouse should not be missed.

All this is less than an hour from Rosslare Port.......
1992 K100LT June 2010 110,000 miles
1984 K100RT July 2013 36,000 miles, 90,000
1983 K100RS Nov 2018 29,000 miles, 58,600 miles
1996 K1100LT Oct 2020 37,990 miles, 48,990 miles
1984 K100 Sprint March 2023 58,000 miles, 62,000 miles
Moorso

Post by Moorso »

It's been a while since I have been in Wexford....lovely town.
I like the look of that Hook Head lighthouse!!

Yeah....the good ol' National Trust. I think it is just so relaxing. Maybe that is why I don't ride a sportsbike....I'm too laid back! Ha ha ;)
Web: www.alternate-road.blogspot.co.uk/

Author of: 'Valhalla and the Fjörd'
Flintlock

Post by Flintlock »

Cheers Moorso, know where you are coming from re roads getting boring, i like to get out early mornings when the roads are quiet, not boring then, everything just looks and feels so much better

Return to “Ireland”