Bulgaria Meet 25th August 2014

popmaddocks

Re: Bulgaria Meet 25th August 2014

Post by popmaddocks »

Hi anyone else catching the night ferry from Hull to Rotterdam on the 18th of August?
Bushman_uk

Post by Bushman_uk »

Time is advancing towards this rally, i have offered to guide any riders over to the rally site, so what i need now is to try and firm up some numbers of who would like to ride with me to Bulgaria.
My time is flexible, my plans are flexible, i can do a mini tour route or i can do an Iron butt run the choice is up to the majority of who would like to be "guided" to the camp.
Again to make it clear i am not a tour guide and Martin (Strimstrum) and I have no financial gain from any of this. Our hope is just to show you how easy it is to travel to these counties and try to give some piece of mind whilst you take in all the wonderful things these far flung countries have to offer, we all know how it can be a little daunting to make the first step.
My open flexible plan is to catch the tunnel train, collect any others on that route. Head North to Belgium, Holland area to collect any northern riders and get the hell out of western Europe as quick as i can . Czech republic and take in the church of bones. Take in the B roads through Slovakia, Hungary and in Romania go across the Transalpina and Transfaragan Passes and then head into Bulgaria a four day route .
So if any of you are interested in riding along with me please then please just tick the Thankyou box and if there are any then i will start a new thread and get all the wishes and wants ironed out.

Bushman_uk

Post by Bushman_uk »

Time is advancing towards this rally, i have offered to guide any riders over to the rally site, so what i need now is to try and firm up some numbers of who would like to ride with me to Bulgaria.
My time is flexible, my plans are flexible, i can do a mini tour route or i can do an Iron butt run the choice is up to the majority of who would like to be "guided" to the camp.
Again to make it clear i am not a tour guide and Martin (Strimstrum) and I have no financial gain from any of this. Our hope is just to show you how easy it is to travel to these counties and try to give some piece of mind whilst you take in all the wonderful things these far flung countries have to offer, we all know how it can be a little daunting to make the first step.
My open flexible plan is to catch the tunnel train, collect any others on that route. Head North to Belgium, Holland area to collect any northern riders and get the hell out of western Europe as quick as i can . Czech republic and take in the church of bones. Take in the B roads through Slovakia, Hungary and in Romania go across the Transalpina and Transfaragan Passes and then head into Bulgaria a four day route .
So if any of you are interested in riding along with me please then please just tick the Thankyou box and if there are any then i will start a new thread and get all the wishes and wants ironed out.
abrroute.png
abrroute.png (232.76 KiB) Viewed 2516 times
nico75

Post by nico75 »

Hi, yes, i'd like to drive along. Joining from Holland.
Already looked at your route and it's the way to go. Skip Germany and then drive the nice roads. No hurry to get to the motocamp.
Camping would be preferred unless the weather is really bad.

I have off from the 16th august till 7th of September.
SteveB

Post by SteveB »

A new thread would be good... can you call it 'Bushman Goes South' or perhaps 'Doris'

Steve

Bushman_uk wrote: So if any of you are interested in riding along with me please then please just tick the Thankyou box and if there are any then i will start a new thread and get all the wishes and wants ironed out.
abrroute.png
BMW R1200GS - BMW 650GS
popmaddocks

Post by popmaddocks »

Hi Mark, blast through Germany then the long way round to Idilevo is fine by me, I dock in Holland on the morning of the 19 August so just let me know when and where to meet up and I will be there thanks. Are you still planning on doing B&Bs ? cos I have not got any camping gear. Perhaps you could give me some advice on how much LOCAL currency to carry or is it best to carry euros and a credit card..thanks

Nige see you soon
strimstrum

Post by strimstrum »

Euros is OK for France, Belgium, Holland & Germany but Czech republic has its own currency - which effectively translates as Czech Crowns - most service stations on highways take visa debit/credit cards and some will also accept euros but there are plenty of ATMs around. You will probably need Czech currency to enter the Church of Bones (they also charge extra if you want to take pictures/video but it's not too expensive).

Romania - you will need Romanian Lei and Bulgaria uses the Bulgarian Lev - the larger fuel stations like Rompetrol in Romania and OMV or Lukoil in Bulgaria take cards but, again, there are many ATMs.

I will probably buy from anyone surplus currency at a better rate than the bank as I will use it on my rides to and from UK so don't worry if you have some left over.

Bulgarian Lev - I can exchange ££££ or Euros if anyone is stuck so no worries there plus there are many banks and Western Union exchange places in nearby Sevlievo (about 7 miles away).

Mark has told me he will not be camping on the way down (other can of course and meet up each day) so B&B/hotels will be the preferred option.
strimstrum

Post by strimstrum »

Right then...... the mini Horizons Meeting last week at the Motocamp went very well with around 70 people and some interesting presentations. Ivo tells me that this coming week he will be contacting all those who have booked rooms in the Motocamp to (a) confirm they still want the room and if yes then (b) pay a 50% deposit via PayPal.

I gave a presentation about the first part of mine and Mark's Round World trip in 2011 which covered the USA section and I am busy preparing a second presentation about the Russian section which me and Mark can show you on a different evening in between many beers.

Those camping do not need to book as there should be plenty of space. The new apartment has been finished which gives extra 6 beds - Ivo has a list of people who may want these rooms. If you have not booked a room and want one then you need to act fast and contact Ivo or Polly at the Motocamp. I will have one or tgwo spare rooms (with double beds) in my house - just 500 metres from the Motocamp - so if you are a couple and want to snuggle up then jump in quick. (all beds at the Motocamp are single beds). At the moment £1 = 2.4 Bulgarian Lev so a 500ml beer - just over a pint -is 2 lev (83p) Room cost per person per night incl.breakfast is 20 lev (£8.30)- campers pay around £5 per night incl. breakfast.

A few rideouts have been planned

Motocamp T shirts are available at around 20 lev (£8.30)

Horse riding nearby if you want to swap 2 wheels for 4 legs

Lots to do

Martin
Míde

Post by Míde »

Hi,

I'm not going to make this trip now:( Kev is due home from Siberia between 10-15 aug and he can't take more time off work and I don't want to leave so soon after he arrives home!!
I've been in touch with Polly and let her know so our cabin is going a begging;-)

Have a fantastic trip and I look forward to ride reports and photos;-)
strimstrum

Post by strimstrum »

Sorry you cannot make it Mide - If this year goes well we will definitely repeat it next year. The long range weather forecast for August ;looks very good - warm sunny weather - Bulgaria usually has around 300 days of sunshine each year and summer temperatures in August are usually in the 30's.

Just one update - I got the room prices a little wrong Ivo tells me. The rooms are 24 lev (£10) per person per night and camping is 14 Lev (£5.80) both include breakfast. Evening meals vary depending on what is being cooked but they tend to be between £3 and £4

Return to “ABR Bulgaria Rally 25th August 2014”