Honda Crosstourer

The Things We Ride
gazxt1200z

Honda Crosstourer

Post by gazxt1200z »

WELL WHAT A SURPRISE,
I've just come back from a lengthy test ride on the honda,what i thought would be a formality [i was 95% going to buy one before the ride]is now not so straightforward,the gearbox is horrible really clunky,my yam's a shaft but is so slick in comparison.Also the rear shock was having me out the seat over bumps,he said i could have it for much longer and try to set it up better but i left it with the dealer asking honda if the gearbox will get better with miles,not the quality item i expected but even though i caned it it still returned 45mpg which was better than expected.
africajim

Re: Honda Crosstourer

Post by africajim »

Well I'd say my gearbox is a bit clunky 1st and 2nd gear but slick over the rest. I think there's a fair bit of ratio difference between 1st and 2nd but saying that, it's the same with my Varadero and Africa Twin so I'm used to it and don't really notice now.
The suspension definately needs to be tweaked, mine was very hard and bouncy for a start but has eased off and the rear is needing a bit more fettling, although the front is now settled down and set as I require.
Economy wise, I did 205 miles today with 34 miles remaining on the dash readout, took 17.6 litres to fill so 53mpg. That and the blistering performance make the Crosstourer an excellent bike. The gearbox is not the slicker than a slick thing the Triumph Tigers was but the Honda's been a far better bike to me in the long run.
The Yamaha's a stunning bike and was going to be my other choice when I picked the Crosstourer, I'm happy with mine though, puts a grin on my face every ride!
Honda, the power of dreams.
gazxt1200z

Post by gazxt1200z »

Thanks for the info it has helped me make my mind up to give one a go,i left 3 sports 600's for dead on it and that is with not totally trusting the front end because of the battle wings,will be much better if i get one and put anakees on.
gazxt1200z

Post by gazxt1200z »

So i guess mine is up FOR SALE for £8k with panniers,coming up to 13,000mls that is what the dealer is giving me so might be of interest to somebody on here.
spasm

Post by spasm »

noooooooo, ur joking i fuckin luv my super tenere, i will never sell her, did u do the mods, arrow headers, pcv, autotune, and most important get the ECU remapped by diasapon racing italy, mine absolutley rips now, i can keep up with anything on fast twistys.
so sad to hear ur still not happy gaz :-/
i only need one wheel .......... the rear
Itchy

Post by Itchy »

I just text my mate (scruffy) he was looking at one of these

Vstrom1000 & Bandit600
cozmo1589

Honda Crosstourer

Post by cozmo1589 »

gazxt1200z wrote:So i guess mine is up FOR SALE for £8k with panniers,coming up to 13,000mls that is what the dealer is giving me so might be of interest to somebody on here.
Your not the first one to want to change from a yam super 10, I know of 2 chaps who had them as soon as they came out and neither one got on with theirs and both had px'd in the bikes within 6 months, one went for the Honda, the other for a KTM and both have never been happier since. Personally I've never sat on one so can't say either way and probably never will.
2014 Honda VFR1200X Crosstourer DCT Highlander
africajim

Post by africajim »

I find the Battlewings ok, the bike handles reasonably well with them. I will not be replacing them though, Anakee2's are certainly the way forward.
I have found the VFR1200X one of the quickest bikes I've ever owned and, no disrespect for Yamaha (I did work for them), they just don't have the soul of the Honda.
Each to their own, I like the Honda, 210 miles yesterday and the front wheel being held down (in several gears) by electronic anti-wheelie was probably a good thing! LOL! ;)
If you go down the Honda route I reckon you'll be pleased mate, especially with three yrs warranty and Euro recovery!
I LOVE MINE!
Honda, the power of dreams.
gazxt1200z

Post by gazxt1200z »

spasm,
I have spent so much money pc5 then got the ecu done and it still dosen't run right,not the bikes fault ran perfectly and will do when i put it back to standard but love the sound of the arrow and without it just don't want it standard so will give the honda a try,i'm not selling because the bike is rubbish wouldn't have done 13k in 18months if it was crap but have had 13 NEW bikes in 7years so time for a change,variety is the spice of life and all that,but the honda dealers are taking the p-ss with the so called deals so might be keeping it yet.
gazxt1200z

Post by gazxt1200z »

spasm,
Are you running everything together ie-pc5&ecu remapped.I found the only bloke in the uk who does ecu remaps for all the bsb teams & he said once the ecu has been done you don't need the pc5 aswell,i think it needs that optimiser aswell as ecu.I have got to take it back to him this saturday i told him he ain't getting any more money if he can't sort it it's going back to standard and being sold,i wished you were online when i needed advice now i think its too late as i'm pissed off by it all.

Return to “BIKES”