Fuel bottle racks

Tents, Sleeping Bags, Oxygen Chambers...that kinda stuff
tiger800xc

Fuel bottle racks

Post by tiger800xc »

001_2012-04-07.JPG
001_2012-04-07.JPG (45.27 KiB) Viewed 1760 times
I have recently purchased a double fuel bottle rack from Touratech
and wanted to fit it to the rear of the panniers like many others I have seen.

The issue with doing this, is that the latch for my motrax boxes are at the back so they simply won't fit.
They will however fit, if I attach them to the front of the boxes, but then they will be in the way when the wife gets on and off the bike :angry:

So do I simply drill out the rivets on the boxes and turn the lid and catches around or do i leave well alone and send the brackets back ??

Sorry for sounding like a dumb ass but this is really doing my head in :(
Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Ferris Bueller
kawasakier6f

Re: Fuel bottle racks

Post by kawasakier6f »

What about adding some spacers to lift the rack away from the panniers?
The achievement is in....every stranger that is now a friend.
Mr Toad

Post by Mr Toad »

Sending the racks back if you can have a full refund might be the simplest solution. Other than possibly aesthetics, do you really need the double fuel bottles. What trip's do you have planned, are you going to need to carry the extra fuel. I'm always reluctant to start drilling holes and altering a perfectly good piece of kit unless I really need to.
Just my thoughts, feel free to disregard.
Never enough time and so much to see and experience.

Previously a VStrom 650, and a KTM SMR 950, currently XT600E with many mods. And now a F800GS Trophy since the KTM has gone.
tiger800xc

Post by tiger800xc »

Hi Mr toad

we are doing our first big trip in July setting off from cheshire to france onto bruges down through Germany into Switzerland and back up

The reason I purchased the racks is because of camping stove uses meths and i wanted to take x2 bigger bottles
Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Ferris Bueller
Freeloadeur

Post by Freeloadeur »

I'd be inclined to send them back, do they do single bottle carriers? Maybe put one on each pannier. Or have a look at bottle cages for mountain bikes. Fuel bottles tend to be the same size, and bottle cages are a hell of a lot cheaper. The mountain bike ones are designed to cope with off-road without you losing your bottles and you could always put a safety loop through the fuel-bottle tops if you're really worried.

Check out BikeBuddy, I reckon you could find a load of places to fit these, and they're not too expensive st £14.99

Less blingy though.
Happiness has 125cc ...
moto al

Post by moto al »

DSC02678.JPG
DSC02678.JPG (147.33 KiB) Viewed 1760 times
DSC02679.JPG
DSC02679.JPG (157.57 KiB) Viewed 1760 times
made for under £5.00 al
moto al
Womble

Post by Womble »

A better solution would be to buy a couple of tractor manual holders (honestly!) and fit them. They will take a 1lts Trangia bottle - I use mine to carry my 0.5ltr bottle. Think it might have come from Two Wheel Trekkers or some such, cannot remember.

Photo of bottle attached to crash bars here, but lots of folks attach them to panniers, I've just not got around to doing it yet!

Enfield Himalayan... apparently they're Marmite... not keen on Marmite, but like Vegemite
YBR125... the little adventure steed of awesomeness
gazxt1200z

Post by gazxt1200z »

How much were they can i ask as iv'e just sent for the touratech catalogue just for that item,i only want 1 though am i right in thinking that the bottle holds 3ltrs,i will have to put it underneath the handle on my pannier don't fancy putting one on the exhaust side.
tiger800xc

Post by tiger800xc »

Loving the rack Al and all for the sum of £5 :woohoo:
Will have to do a dry run on the panniers to see if there is anyway they will fit
Failing that I am still temped to drill out the rivets and turn the lid aroud.

gazxt1200z
I had to wait 4 weeks for the items to arrive shocking service them touratech :angry:
Although the racks are of superb quality.

I purchased thw twin bottle carrier and the fuel bottle carrier and 2ltr plastic fuel can, total was £67.22 with p&p

Ferris Bueller
moto al

Post by moto al »

tiger800xc wrote:Loving the rack Al and all for the sum of £5 :woohoo:
Will have to do a dry run on the panniers to see if there is anyway they will fit
Failing that I am still temped to drill out the rivets and turn the lid aroud.

gazxt1200z
I had to wait 4 weeks for the items to arrive shocking service them touratech :angry:
Although the racks are of superb quality.

I purchased thw twin bottle carrier and the fuel bottle carrier and 2ltr plastic fuel can, total was £67.22 with p&p
hi bud send me a pm and i will send you a template.cheers al
moto al

Return to “TRAVEL GEAR”