Triumph Explorer

The Things We Ride
scruffy

Triumph Explorer

Post by scruffy »

I am not easily impressed but having spent this afternoon with the new model I feel compelled to shout about it.
I went to the launch on Thursday at Pure Triumph in Wellingborough. More for the free food than my interest in a new bike. I'd seen the bike before at a excel and the NEC and to be honest it didn't stir my loins. There's something about the scaffold tubing seat frame that just doesn't appeal to me (Ducati give me the same vibe). The colour schemes struck me as being a bit bland too but each to their own.
That said, I absolutely loved it. Be warned if you try it you'll want one. Being the sceptic I am I just can't knock it. It's awesome. I suffer from ducks disease (my arse is too close to the floor) and I was afraid that I would struggle to get my leg over (Dont we all)? but the seat was at it's low setting and was spot on. The riding position is as you would expect and all the switches and such; I could reach without having to move my hands on the grips.
The dealer warned me about the fly by wire throttle, which is sensitive, but a couple of twists and you soon get used to it. It's light and very responsive and within a short while I couldn't tell the difference. Acceleration was terrific and the handling superb. I had it for a couple of hours and felt like a kid again. Thoroughly enjoyed my afternoon and couldn't stop smiling when I got off.
So....... New bike......Ohhh yes........Divorce ....... very likely......Does anyone know how to switch the iron on?
Go on you lot. Go and have a go: you know you want too. I'd be interested to hear from the GS lads what they think.

Well done Triumph: good one; proud to be British!
Mike54

Re: Triumph Explorer

Post by Mike54 »

I just got back from my (Triumph) dealer and the salesman I know said that they've had a 100% buy rate from the test rides and he was absolutely stunned. Said they've already sold their allocation. One was side by side with my tiger and to be honest, the tiger looks meaner, but I can see the appeal of the explorer, it's just not for me.
scruffy

Post by scruffy »

I had the same conversation about the Tiger with my lot, your right, but the performance ..... wow.
BrynS

Post by BrynS »

Being a GS rider for a number of years now ( and riding FJR1300's at work until recently) I made the mistake of taking out a launch Explorer last Friday

Posted this ride report over on UKGSer... pick up my new Explorer tomorrow... that about says it all :woohoo:

Just got back from my 3 hours on the Launch Model Explorer ...

I intended to look at this as a day out on someone else's bike... with absolutely no intentions of spending any dosh on a new bike....

Sooooo

My thoughts are as follows ( and having owned 1100's, 1150's, 1150ADV's, 1200's including a 1200 SE with all the bells and whistles I think I can compare pretty well)

Seat height... being 29" tall inside leg, I had the seat set on low.. and found my right foot flat on the ground when left foot up... if that makes sense. Stratstone Triumph provided the demonstrator and sorted the seat to save me bothering, and it was an easy thing to adjust, and also revealed a fair old bit of space under the seat too

Fly by wire throttle : fine once you get used to it, but you need to take care if you stand on the pegs, as the slightest movement of the right wrist sees the bike take off The fuel injection system on the bike was flawless on the one I rode.. 20mph in 6th gear ... no chugging, and took off cleanly. Gear box silky smooth and encouraged clutchless changes.

The riding position for me seemed spot on, no weight on the wrists, and it seemed to keep me sitting bolt upright, no slouching ( 5'9")

The tall screen was a doddle to adjust, taking seconds with a gloved hand.... the low setting gave me clean air and no buffeting at speeds North of 70mph ( allegedly)

At motorway speeds the wind just caught the outer edge of my shoulders, and I didn't notice any wind on my legs in the 90 miles I did on the bike...

Took a couple of arty 'ish' shots..

New technology meets old

Found a gravel road, with enormous craters, so went for a wander 'offroad' in the most loose sense of the term, which is all I'd ever do on a bike , having done Salisbury Plain once about 6 years ago off road potential doesn't really matter to me, the style and comfort does...( craters are behind me in the photo... in case anyone wonders )

Just a bit further on it got real muddy and the bike squirmed a bit...so I chickened out and turned it round ( and did so without dropping it or noticing the extra weight it carries over a GSA allegedly ) I put that down a lot to the lower seat height. Tried to activate the traction control whilst on the lane, but all it seemed to do was shoot the bike forward... so I chickened out again

Back on the road, loads of power, seat much more comfy than I've had on any of my GS's to date. Cruise control was good... you just need to be careful when holding the bike on a constant throttle, and using your thumb to activate the cruise .....the throttle has a hair trigger until you get used to it...

10k red line.... 7k is 120mph ( allegedly- on a closed circuit I've read)

Steering nice and neutral , I'm sure you'll run out of nerve before anything touches down ....

It could do with a hugger or some sort of cover on the rear shock like the 1200 has... othewise I think it'll get snidled up pretty quikly

Didn't see the luggage, but I'd guess they'll be like the 800 tiger items ...

Launch model comes with stuff you'd want to fit... handguards, spots, engine bars and I think metal sump guard ....

So to sum up.... comfortable, fast, no buffeting, smooth throttle response. If you want a bike to take you and the Mrs. to Europe for a fortnight in comfort and have a bit of fun doing it... This is definately up there with them ....

10k service intervals, and I'm told unlike others that is when you've done 10k... not 'or yearly' so no spending on servicing if your mileage isn't too great....

:)
Hacknslash

Post by Hacknslash »

Hi yall

I've just got back from my local bike cafe, where I perused a bike magazine featuring GS and Explorers. Triumph claim its gonna whoop the GS in all areas power, handling on and off road. However as I read through the mag, I noticed all the shiney Explorer photos were on tarmac and all the GS photos were on dirt or 6' up in the air coated in mud.

Draw you own conclusions.
Ian

The Geek shall inherit the Earth.
spasm

Post by spasm »

i like the triumph but it aint a YAMAHA super tenere, nuff said, nice looking bike though
http://ratct.com/wp-content/gallery/tig ... -small.jpg
good reports though guys B)
i only need one wheel .......... the rear
gebrauchtwagen83

Post by gebrauchtwagen83 »

Hacknslash wrote: Hi yall

I've just got back from my local bike cafe, where I perused a bike magazine featuring GS and Explorers. Triumph claim its gonna whoop the GS in all areas power, handling on and off road. However as I read through the mag, I noticed all the shiney Explorer photos were on tarmac and all the GS photos were on dirt or 6' up in the air coated in mud.

Draw you own conclusions.
Ian
i use my bike for travelling. is it going to whoop it on fuel economy and off road ability? my r1200gs has a 20 lt tank and returns about 200-210 miles to a tank. with the explorer returning 45mpg best case and also having a 20 litre tank im going to be filling up left right and chelsea. its an adventure bike and I just cannot believe that not a single review has mentioned this. they all talk about handling and speed. well just get a fireblade then. that is great round corners and very responsive and brings a smile to your face. it does all of things mentioned in the review of the explorer but it does them better. as someone who likes to get about on my bike, i have different concerns to speed and cornering ability. we are comparing a brand new bike to an 8 year old design. i think that speaks volumes about the GS. i just cant get excited about a 140bhp adventure bike. might as well get a mulitstrada. thats just my take
Mark1961

Post by Mark1961 »

ADVbyrn I see in your photos above it parked next to a GS in the 1st & 2nd pic... :evil:
Adventure motorcycling is a challenge for those who go but only a dream for those who stay behind.

growing old is compulsory growing up is optional!
BrynS

Post by BrynS »

:laugh:

Naughty
Sleepy

Post by Sleepy »

ADVbryn wrote:So to sum up.... comfortable, fast, no buffeting, smooth throttle response. If you want a bike to take you and the Mrs. to Europe for a fortnight in comfort and have a bit of fun doing it... This is definately up there with them .... :)
Yeahbut you're a serial bike buyer Bryn... :cheer:
It won't last... :laugh:

Return to “BIKES”