ABR Holy Grail Rally 2012 - Information

Join the Crusade
James691

ABR Holy Grail Rally 2012 - Information

Post by James691 »

[center]The Adventure Bike Rider Quest for the Holy Grail 2012.

black knight.jpg
black knight.jpg (48.45 KiB) Viewed 2236 times

Welcome Adventure Rider!

The 2012 season of the quest rally is now upon us and will be open to riders from the stroke of midnight that brings in the New Year.

We have put together something a little out of the norm, places you may never have gone to and sights you may never have witnessed. Here now is your opportunity to pit you and your steel horse against some of the most amazing roads and buildings that the UK has to offer.

Should you accept the quest, you will be sent over the far reaches of the Kingdom in your search for the most historically elusive article of all time – The Holy Grail.

A quest – another form of adventure awaits you if you are willing and able to take up the gauntlet of opportunity – as always there is no cost for this adventure, other than your own tenacity to reach – The ABR Grail!

Once you have completed the quest, only then will the resting place of the ABR Grail be sent to you by email – there, revealed to you is the location that can see you ride forth – an ABR Knight.

The Grail

The Grail has been an iconic symbol of adventure for over 2000 years and this year I have sought to make an adventure of finding the ABR Holy Grail. This is not about religion and is open to all riders to test there abilities and of course enjoy some fine roads, cities and architecture.

It is my hope that many an adventure will be found as you explore each city. Much like the Nature Rally and I had hoped that riders would enjoy the amazing views that would befall a ride to some of the most amazing places of natural beauty that the UK has to offer.

This year there will be a slight twist, for those brave souls that make it to the end of the Quest and it is my goal to make this as fun as possible for all. I will not be letting on what the twist is as that simply spoils the fun!

History and Locations

This is not based solely upon any myth or legend of which there are many, King Arthur and his Knights of the Round Table – to Indiana Jones and the last crusade in WWII.

Locations have been picked for many reasons that will include legends of Arthur, the Knights Templar and even Monty Python! But there are geographical reasons for the locations also as well as historical – as a Knight it is often the journey that is the making of him/her and not simply the destination or following another’s path.

I have added 5 locations in Ireland that will include Northern Ireland as we have riders from all these locations as well as looking at the distribution of the Adventure Bike Rider magazine.

Admin –

Once a forum Admin is available to create a category section for the rally then I will set up the various threads, as was done for the 2011 Nature Rally.

In that section I will have a questions section – rather than just the one thread at the moment that runs the risk of becoming convoluted by various opinions and questions, all of which are more than welcome and what makes us the friendly bunch that we are. I’d just like to make it more user accessible so that in 6 months a rider will not need to wade through 15 pages of posts. Be instantly able to grasp the concept of the rally, where the locations are and to ask his or her own questions.

To that end I have also created a ‘Group’ that you will need to join for the Quest – from here I can email people directly on issues and fun facts that are going on with the quest and again you can ask questions in another format if you so wish or indeed start a topic thread. It is a private Group for would be Knights and allows me to track how many people are on the quest at a glance.

Awards.

For all locations and completion of the twist – collection of the Grail!

For all 31 locations– An ABR Knight

For 20 locations – An ABR Squire award

For 10 locations – An ABR Page award

Proof of Quest.

As with last year it will be a matter of getting a photograph of you and or your bike at the location.

You will be issued a rally number and riders of last years Rally will have the opportunity to retain their rally number should they so wish to.

Some locations limit or bar immediate access to the buildings! I know this already and I have picked some of them because of it. I’m sure you can work it out as I find where there is a will there is a way. Without challenge a victory becomes hollow and where is the fun in that!

Your Quest Team.

Alun – Publisher and owner of ABR and the person that has given permission for a rally to take place on his forum.

James691 – Rally Master. Any questions or queries you have I will be happy try and answer them. I am also the person that will give a yea or nay to a picture as proof.

Jimbo – Rally Admin. Graphics, Stats and print off layouts. Jimbo is the guy that keeps a tally of who has done what and up for what award as well as the fine graphics for pdf.

I do hope you find this Quest as fun and as challenging as I hope it to be.

The very best of luck to all..

James691[/center]
Dancing in the moonlight
herman

Re: ABR Holy Grail Rally 2012 Update.

Post by herman »

Thanks James et al B) I've made a start http://www.adventurebikerider.com/forum ... -year.html
The secret of a long life is knowing when its time to go.
doctorzippy

Post by doctorzippy »

Hi James,

I've tried to join the new group but keep getting an error on the page and the "Join Group" button doesn't seem to do anything. Is there something you're trying to tell me? :blush:
Life is a journey, not a destination
James691

Post by James691 »

doctorzippy wrote:Hi James,

I've tried to join the new group but keep getting an error on the page and the "Join Group" button doesn't seem to do anything. Is there something you're trying to tell me? :blush:
Hmmm I'm crap at being subtle buddy, you'll never have to worry about that ;)

I'll send you a personal invite from the group and see if that works - failing that you may have a shite computer :) That is the extent of my technical knowledge :blush:
Dancing in the moonlight
James691

Re: ABR Holy Grail Rally 2012

Post by James691 »

Great news Zippy :)

The section is now created - the group up and running and I can start doing rally folders :)

Roll on 2012
Dancing in the moonlight
scouse

Post by scouse »

Same number and details as last year please... as it will no doubt echo the numbers of locations I manage to complete :D
Gaffer tape is The Force! It has a light side and a dark side and holds the Universe together!

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth." - Steve McQueen
Chrisstrom

Post by Chrisstrom »

I wouldn't mind a crack at this one. Can you allocate me a number etc
You can only do what you can do!!
Gavinskii

Post by Gavinskii »

Same number as last year (1967) please James.
R1150GS

Montesa 4Ride

KLX 250

Suzuki Beamish

2011 Nature Rally - Bronze Award
benlochlann

Post by benlochlann »

Hi James, can I have number 260 please

cheers
Alun

Post by Alun »

Hi James, I'll take a number please and see if I can do any better than last year.

Return to “ABR Holy Grail Rally 2012”