Wales roads

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
garyboy

Wales roads

Post by garyboy »

Well ... Mr Drakeford has gone, and Lee Waters, transport 20mph guru extraordinaire, ... .
Vaughn Gethin is the new First Minister, and his transport guy is now Ken Skates.

Mr Skates is going to allow New Roads to be built in Wales.

Mr Drakeford allowed himself to be swayed by `Climate Change` and `Net Zero` and believed that "if you build new roads, they will just fill up with cars", and would spoil his plan, for Wales, in isolation, to be the foremost Net Zero exemplar for the world.

Mt Skates seems to have a firmer grip on reality ... though there is no commitment for an M4 bypass road?
. ... so we in Wales, and bike tourers, can look forward to loads of brand new smooth tarmacked roads, and all the potholes of existing road to be fixed ... soon....also, expect to see some wonderful works of engineering, .. bridges and tunnels etc, that you will marvel at.... ....... ????????????????????????? :lol:
Magnusson

Re: Wales roads

Post by Magnusson »

I think you mean that riders in Wales will get 5-20 years of constant road construction.
Champagne taste on beer budget.
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

I meant (sarcastically).. we won't get Any.

The UK Tory government has been underfunding (polically) Welsh Labour Wales for years. I think last year it was by 175 million, but overall by billions. When UK Labour get in, even in coalition , they won't be able to fund Wales, or other regions, as they need to be, after 14 years of Tory Austerity. Until big Business is controlled in a fair manner, there's not going to be any significant funding and improvement to our roads and infrastructure.
Crossrutted

Post by Crossrutted »

garyboy wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:31 am I meant (sarcastically).. we won't get Any.

The UK Tory government has been underfunding (polically) Welsh Labour Wales for years. I think last year it was by 175 million, but overall by billions. When UK Labour get in, even in coalition , they won't be able to fund Wales, or other regions, as they need to be, after 14 years of Tory Austerity. Until big Business is controlled in a fair manner, there's not going to be any significant funding and improvement to our roads and infrastructure.
Since some Welsh politicians believe an independent Wales is a financial possibility, why do you need the English to keep subsidising you?

We've got the Scots to pay for (apparently they could be independant too), we can't afford both of you! :roll: :lol:
Spike941

Post by Spike941 »

I remember the good old Pre Brexit (PB) days, when the EU paid for those fabulous roads in NW Scotland. Did they not do the same for Wales back in the day?
Genuine question.
PaulinBont

Post by PaulinBont »

I was criticised the other day for overtaking a car at speed……..my excuse: I was peddling as fast as I could and actually got up to 25 😊
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

Spike941 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:08 am I remember the good old Pre Brexit (PB) days, when the EU paid for those fabulous roads in NW Scotland. Did they not do the same for Wales back in the day?
Genuine question.

Indeed they did. One of the reasons for the Brexit vote in South Wales was the construction of the EU-funded Heads of the Valley road, which meant the unemployed had less of an excuse for not having a job.
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

PaulinBont wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:45 am I was criticised the other day for overtaking a car at speed……..my excuse: I was peddling as fast as I could and actually got up to 25 😊
I didn't know until recently that there is no speed limit for pedal cycles. You can have a telling off, but not a ticket. Not sure about dangerous riding though.
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

Richard Simpson Mark II wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:10 am
Spike941 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:08 am I remember the good old Pre Brexit (PB) days, when the EU paid for those fabulous roads in NW Scotland. Did they not do the same for Wales back in the day?
Genuine question.

Indeed they did. One of the reasons for the Brexit vote in South Wales was the construction of the EU-funded Heads of the Valley road, which meant the unemployed had less of an excuse for not having a job.
Spoken by a true Englishman.
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

Genuine question.
Yes,.. there was and still is, great deprivation in areas of Wales. The Area 1 funding (I think it was called) provided a much needed and appreciated asset to the people of Wales, following the destruction of the coal and steel industries by the English Tory Armageddon known as Maggie.

EU funding provided roads, other infrastructure, factories, employment, even landscaping to cover the pit scars and spoil heap carbuncle. The EU recognised the desicration caused by the UK government, who would not even recompense the deaths, I'll health, and injustice heaped upon the Welsh. .. or even removal of All the tips. This is still ongoing.

Brexit .... Boris 'promised ' that EU funding levels would be maintained for Wales. I half believed him. But he lied on that too.

Return to “THE PUB”