Returning rider can it be done?

Bikers and riding
fastrhino

Returning rider can it be done?

Post by fastrhino »

I have lived overseas for many years and now live in the UK again, my last time of owning a bike here was 2007.

My last bike however was a 1200 GSA which I travelled across Australia on.

I am getting the itch again for adventure and want to buy a bike and explore this country and then Europe and perhaps further afield.

I am just sceptical about my chances of finding an Insurer who wont laugh at me when I go to insure a new adventure bike probably 800cc + possibly a 1250GSA.

Thoughts on making this happen without taking on the deficit of a medium sized African nation to pay the premium to travel here and Europe.

Edit: I should have added I am 55 years old and held my licence for several decades now.
Attachments
4BC623A1-8CAD-4DD9-848B-5222609F8912.jpeg
4BC623A1-8CAD-4DD9-848B-5222609F8912.jpeg (187.36 KiB) Viewed 602 times
Hall

Re: Returning rider can it be done?

Post by Hall »

Have a look on go compare , moneysupermarket and MCN and then you will know what huge bill you face , probably be OK 👌
Aka "jkay"
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

No-one will laugh at you .. but they may take the piss, with your quote.
Confused dot com?
You don't even need to speak to anyone
Magnusson

Post by Magnusson »

Why not lighter bike, for example Honda CB500X? Lower purchase price, insurance, fuel consumption. Ideal for returning rider.
Champagne taste on beer budget.
DavidS

Post by DavidS »

Bemoto. Intelligent people and helpful.
Prices certainly tolerable for an old duffer like me with two bikes.
2023 Husqvarna Norden 901
2014 KTM 690 ENDURO R
Alexhoc

Post by Alexhoc »

You might be surprised! It was a few years ago now but I was surprised how low the quotes were when I tried to insure myself on a Honda Blackbird after 10 years without owning a bike...
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

I sometimes write about insurance for my day job...

In commercial insurance for fleets, insurers are often prepared to take on a perceived high risk (a young driver in a truck) if the risk is diluted with 'safer' drivers.

If you run a car, you could consider approaching Carole Nash, who do a 'six-wheel' policy that covers both.

My 'six-wheel' policy covers an ordinary car and four motorcycles...including a 1000cc Italian sports bike...and every time it comes up for renewal I am unable to match it by splitting the vehicles and insurers.

You could also consider getting in some additional refresher or advanced training, which would make you a more attractive in terms of risk to some insurers.

The real red flags for insurers are poor claims history and motoring convictions, plus keeping the bike in a high-risk poscode. If you are clear of those then I don't see it would be a problem.

The poster above is correct in that a middle-weight bike might be a wiser initial purchase.
onslowe

Post by onslowe »

I'm 58 and found the CB500X cheap enough to insure at less than £150 though I do have some no claims discount on the policy, good luck with whatever you decide to buy.
fastrhino

Post by fastrhino »

Magnusson wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 7:17 am Ideal for returning rider.
By returning rider, I mean returned to live in this country, I have a 3 year break off bikes my last being the 1200 GSA, all of my bikes over my last 10 years of riding have been big bikes. I am actually thinking the Tenere 700 or Africa Twin as I like the idea of doing some big trips on the European TET network and I have done the BMW oof road training and completed the BMW Safari in Australia mostly off road riding.
Last edited by fastrhino on Fri Mar 15, 2024 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fastrhino

Post by fastrhino »

Alexhoc wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:31 am You might be surprised! It was a few years ago now but I was surprised how low the quotes were when I tried to insure myself on a Honda Blackbird after 10 years without owning a bike...
I shall try getting some quotes to get a bench mark price wise, I guess I was spoiled, insurance in Australia is not compulsory (third party is in your rego (road tax)) and it is very competitive for fully comp.

Return to “ADVENTURE BIKE RIDER”