Returning rider can it be done?

Bikers and riding
fastrhino

Re: Returning rider can it be done?

Post by fastrhino »

Magnusson wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 7:17 am Why not lighter bike, for example Honda CB500X?
I am not familiar with this bike but I think it might be lacking the off-road capability I am looking for, I will take a look on Hondas website and do some research.
Scott_rider

Post by Scott_rider »

I've always thought that insurance costs and running costs are just the necessary price of owning a vehicle that you WANT to own and ride/drive, IF you can afford to buy that vehicle in the first-place. If I could afford to own a Ferrari (which I can't) then I wouldn't not buy it if the insurance costs were, say, twice the amount of a lesser vehicle in my eyes.
Suzuki GSX-S1000F...the KTM 450 EXC-R has gone
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

My impressions are that carole Nash and ,Bennett are the best, most comprehensive, and if you catch them right, can do some great deals, uk and abroad, repatriation etc, the works.

The others, through brokers, .. actually it's the brokers themselves, seem to come out remarkably similar in price and service. Not that I'm suggesting price fixing, but even mcn and Adrian flux and saga seem so come into this category.

The only way to find out is to spend an hour or two scrolling the options on the Internet.

I would either .. just look for the cheapest options on bike and cover ... or,
just get the medium to big adventure bike you want.. probably a 1250 gsa?. and suck up the insurance costs, for your 'best' suitable cover.
dave h

Post by dave h »

if i want to ride the European tet the last bike I'd be looking to get would be a bmw gsa.

Dave.
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

O .. I missed that.. that OP wants to ride tet.
In that case, crf300Rally?
It has economy, of fuel, light enough for tet, screen for road distance, capable on motorways, reasonably, comfortable seat, I think, can fit luggage frame, strong enough, but ..

Unreasonable cost of insurance, for what you get, bit light on big roads, fast enough but not really enjoyable, maybe. ..

Ah .. I get it .. OP needs a Unicorn bike .
This subject may have been discussed before?

I would go for a husky 701?
Good enough for trails, tet, long-legged enough for big roads and distance, get new wider comfort seat?, right size wheels for do it all, can fit luggage gear, as light as small crf, ......

No idea on insurance though?
DavidS

Post by DavidS »

garyboy wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 4:33 am O .. I missed that.. that OP wants to ride tet.
In that case, crf300Rally?
It has economy, of fuel, light enough for tet, screen for road distance, capable on motorways, reasonably, comfortable seat, I think, can fit luggage frame, strong enough, but ..

Unreasonable cost of insurance, for what you get, bit light on big roads, fast enough but not really enjoyable, maybe. ..

Ah .. I get it .. OP needs a Unicorn bike .
This subject may have been discussed before?

I would go for a husky 701?
Good enough for trails, tet, long-legged enough for big roads and distance, get new wider comfort seat?, right size wheels for do it all, can fit luggage gear, as light as small crf, ......

No idea on insurance though?
I love my 690 (so a 701 would be spot on) but lowering the rear suspension around 40mm and dropping the yokes about 10mm has really made it far more comfortable. At the end of last year I fitted a three tooth smaller rear sprocket and, for me, it seems a perfect combination of road and, yet to be tested, trail ability. There is no shortage of power so I am sure you wouldn’t miss the low down grunt unless you are doing mega climbs etc. You might need a comfier seat than the standard 701 though - the 690’s seems much better for longer days.

I can’t imagine the horrors of a big adventure bike off road - my Norden certainly won’t be doing anything more than a level gravel track.
2023 Husqvarna Norden 901
2014 KTM 690 ENDURO R
fastrhino

Post by fastrhino »

Thank you for the feedback, went online for quotes and the only insurer who would quote me on a GSA wants nearly 3 grand… ouch.

The bikes that seem to be more affordable for insurance are the middle weight adventure bikes and postcode makes a huge difference tot he quote so I might look for an alternate address for storage and registration purposes to get a price down.

After reviewing the current crop on middle weight bikes the T7 World Raid, 790 Adventure R or Transalp are the bikes that i am looking at now.
DavidS

Post by DavidS »

Compared to the 790/890, I thought the Transalp was a bit gutless. Very comfy but seems more of a road bike.
2023 Husqvarna Norden 901
2014 KTM 690 ENDURO R
Flipflop

Post by Flipflop »

Two of the biggest factors in Motorcycle insurance is Post code and overnight parking ie brick garage.
When I moved to Salford for a few years with work I couldn’t get insurance at any price due to my post code.
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

fastrhino wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 12:21 pm Thank you for the feedback, went online for quotes and the only insurer who would quote me on a GSA wants nearly 3 grand… ouch.

The bikes that seem to be more affordable for insurance are the middle weight adventure bikes and postcode makes a huge difference tot he quote so I might look for an alternate address for storage and registration purposes to get a price down.

After reviewing the current crop on middle weight bikes the T7 World Raid, 790 Adventure R or Transalp are the bikes that i am looking at now.
Consider also the aprilia 660...a better bike for your stated purpose than all of the above. Available new for under £10k. Brake Magazine has an excellent review of it on YouTube. Only bad thing about it that I can see is there's no built in rear rack. I wouldn't dream of taking a Transalp down anything more challenging that a gravel drive...look under the engine and you'll see why!

Return to “ADVENTURE BIKE RIDER”