Satnav vs Mounted Phone

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
qcnr

Re: Satnav vs Mounted Phone

Post by qcnr »

I use my iPhone 5SE with a quadlock mount and mapsme software. I have imported TET routes and use it no problem.
It's used on a KTM 690 so vibration is there. Phone still works although the battery is degraded, and not too many problems,
although sometimes MapsMe does make 'interesting' route choices. :lol:
gbags

Post by gbags »

Thanks. I’ve had ‘interesting’ road choices with MapsMe too. Up flights of stairs and footpaths.

MapsMe is also wildly inaccurate on timings. I think it uses the road speed limit x mileage which in wilder countries is sometimes hours out. Mostly accurate and trustworthy though.
vRSG60

Post by vRSG60 »

https://www.chigee.com/

Best of both worlds
Out On The Floor - Keep The Faith
SteveR

Post by SteveR »

Very late on this thread....

I have been using navigation for yonks, still have the Garmin Zumo 550 albeit, this is a replacement unit. Sadly, one of the rubber covered buttons is going and it's not really cost effective to fix in some ways, BUT, I have Lifetime maps on it....

I have a Montana for off road stuff, but it is increasingly less than useful for old tired eyes, much as @Tramp says, even with bifocal glasses. I got on of the clear plastic phone mount and that was the same problem :(

Most effective for lanes I have found was an old 7" tablet in a small tankbag, but you do have to take your eyes off the road, so not optimal at high speed navigation!! I used to love ViewRanger with OS maps but it disappeared up it's own arse with social media interactivity being more important than mapping. I do still have an old version on an ancient tablet, bare minimum and app upgrades not allowed. ;)

I do like the idea of Android auto for road use, but the bike units are pricey... and of course all relies on good data connectivity.
DavidS

Post by DavidS »

SteveR wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 8:26 am Very late on this thread....

I have been using navigation for yonks, still have the Garmin Zumo 550 albeit, this is a replacement unit. Sadly, one of the rubber covered buttons is going and it's not really cost effective to fix in some ways, BUT, I have Lifetime maps on it....

I have a Montana for off road stuff, but it is increasingly less than useful for old tired eyes, much as @Tramp says, even with bifocal glasses. I got on of the clear plastic phone mount and that was the same problem :(

Most effective for lanes I have found was an old 7" tablet in a small tankbag, but you do have to take your eyes off the road, so not optimal at high speed navigation!! I used to love ViewRanger with OS maps but it disappeared up it's own arse with social media interactivity being more important than mapping. I do still have an old version on an ancient tablet, bare minimum and app upgrades not allowed. ;)

I do like the idea of Android auto for road use, but the bike units are pricey... and of course all relies on good data connectivity.
If you bought the Viewranger maps, as I did for the whole of the UK, Outdooractive swapped them over for me when they took over. Worth a call to them even though that was a few years ago. Tell them you didn’t realise.
2023 Husqvarna Norden 901
2014 KTM 690 ENDURO R
ErikGustav2

Post by ErikGustav2 »

To get a large screen.
I made a mount for an old Android tablet that was not used anymore.
Loaded it with OSM - maps
And OSMAND app.

It worked fine for predefined routes/tracks.
But than they change the format for the maps...
=> I needed to upgrade the app, but that was not possible due to too old android version.
And Android cold not get updated, due to that the HW did not support the new Android version...

End of that experiment.

But it works for Google maps + pre loaded maps (I have no SIM card in it)
Attachments
GPS 24.jpg
GPS 24.jpg (84.13 KiB) Viewed 56 times

Return to “TECHNICAL”