Satnav vs Mounted Phone

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
gbags

Satnav vs Mounted Phone

Post by gbags »

Hi,

I’ve been using a Garmin Zumo 590L for years which was flawless but it’s now failing. I hate to ditch it as it’s been so good but I have to.

We’re now in 2024 and I’m not technical so can I have suggestions to replace it please?

Firstly, do I mount a phone up front and run Google Maps, Waze or MapsMe on it? I’ve heard this can thrash the phone to bits; is that right? And if you do recommend this system, what mount would you suggest?

Secondly, a replacement GPS. Something tough and reliable for long trips in far flung countries, mainly Road but some off piste too. Simple and easy to use as I now qualify for a bus pass.

Many thanks,

Graham
Tramp

Re: Satnav vs Mounted Phone

Post by Tramp »

The 595lm is nearly the same as 590 and cheap too, I've got one as a main satnav for road..

You'll never get anything as easy to use as a garmin or tom tom..Android phones even with osmand mapping which is best basic offline their is...is pretty simple and shows all roads and offroad too...takes gpx routes and tracks with ease...so you can still use basecamp or mapsource ..ram quick grip xl holds any phone solid or quickgrip..

I'm using a samsung A13 cheap and big screen, tried a rugged phone lasted 6 months and screen went zero back up from China.. hence now use samsung.

Old age eyes mean on handlebars now even with bifocals on screen it's hard..

Have a look on Facebook at dmd2 group...very very good but complicated..as they use android tablets 8inch screens.
Magnusson

Post by Magnusson »

You also have the option of installing Carplay/Android-Auto display. It uses your phone but with a cheaper mounted display.
Like these https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=CarPlay+fo ... nb_sb_noss
Champagne taste on beer budget.
gbags

Post by gbags »

Thanks fellas, though I didn’t understand any of the software talk.

I use an iPhone and don’t have an android, so replacing the Garmin with another sounds good.

Cheers and have fun.
Tramp

Post by Tramp »

After the 590/595 series and I think xt too all same software and way they worked although the xt had ability to do tracks better than the 595, wide track on screen..

The xt2 has a totally different system uses tread not basecamp..I've looked but don't like it...have you tried osmand on iPhone...its available...if you like that just get a spare apple phone as onnthe bars the camera will be bollocked...but phone itself will be fine without a sim card too...use your proper phone to search hotels etc then just put address into apple sat nav...
Magnusson

Post by Magnusson »

That's why I recommend carplay. Then you have cheap extension of the phone on your bars. But replacement Garmin is not bad solution if he prefers to head in that direction.
Champagne taste on beer budget.
Oop North John

Post by Oop North John »

On a BM based forum there's a 595 for sale, and not too expensive.

I have an XT and 595, and the 595 is the one I use as some of the routing algorithm's of the XT are to use a technical term "shite" or not logical in calmer language. I don't see myself buying another new Garmin unless they can get the software to be sensible, and realise that I want a GPS for navigating.

I like having the GPS for navigating and keeping the phone in the pocket and out of harms way. That way if I fall off the bike and get separated from it, I'll still have my phone with me.
Chalky723

Post by Chalky723 »

I tend to use my (android) phone on a vibration reducing Quadlock mount for roadwork as the real time traffic updates & routing are really useful and my Garmin Montana 700 for the rough, bouncy offroad riding.

D
ErikGustav2

Post by ErikGustav2 »

A
Several people have reported failed phones, when not using vibration reducing mounts. First thing to fail is often the camera. A good mount is a must.
I use a Shad mount tha fits to the mirror. With good damping. And water proof.
Do you want to navigats also in rain?
Google maps with pre loaded maps is often good enough.
B
When using a phone for navigation, it is never my regular phone.
The regular phone isbin the inner pocket of the jacket. In casa of accident, I do want my nirmal phone working for emergenvy call.
C
My phone overheats when it is warm outside. App use power. Generates heat. Charging is needed, more heat....

==
I use my old Garmin 595 as main tool. And google maps in cities.
Paul_C

Post by Paul_C »

I've been using a Dodgee S90 (I think) for a few years now. I made my own holder which fits a Ram Mount. Never any issues with vibration etc. This includes many many miles of green lanes and European gravel trails. I generally use LocusMaps Pro for trails and Kurviger for road riding, both with downloaded maps.
I have a Zumo XT too but I find the routing to be very poor, especially compared to Kurviger. The XT, on curvy mode once decided to take me along 20 miles of motorway through a rural area. Hence I generally use it for tracks I've previously sorted and loaded into the unit, plus the TET, ACT etc. the screen is excellent and, of course, it doesn't require charging. I'm on my second one though, the first was replaced when the touch screen failed. I won't buy another.
Just along for the ride.
Husqvarna 901 Norden. Husqvarna 701 Enduro. Moto Guzzi LeMans II.

Return to “TECHNICAL”