Screens - I’m confused.

The essential art of farkling.
Bart1

Re: Screens - I’m confused.

Post by Bart1 »

DavidS wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 5:22 pm Moving it forward looks like a no as there are side fixings so it can’t really be moved.
Good idea though.
Make up some short plastic strips to move the fixing points for a trial, then if they work change to aluminium if needed.
DavidS

Post by DavidS »

Mirrors have been removed.
As long as we don’t have a foot of salt, frost or snow overnight, I’ll have a quick run round my 10 mile test route tomorrow.

Bought some well discounted battery heated RST gloves from the Sportsbike Shop yesterday so will give them a try as well. They get very warm very quickly indoors.
No need for wired in ones (yet) as my winter riding won’t be longer than the battery life.
2023 Husqvarna Norden 901
2014 KTM 690 ENDURO R
DavidS

Post by DavidS »

Removing mirrors didn’t work and actually created more turbulence on my chest.

Time to try taping bits to the screen when it warms up a bit.

Gloves were great on low setting for a very short ride at 3c.
2014 KTM 690 ENDURO R
Bart1

Post by Bart1 »

As others have said, the idea is to have some air coming under the screen to equalize the pressure behind. This is easier to achieve with adjustable brackets so the gap, height and angle can be changed.

Also, bikes with narrow front sections often add side deflectors too. For instance a Tiger 800 has similar mounting points to the Norden and they often add the side pieces.
DavidS

Post by DavidS »

That option does lead me to the Expedition screen but it’s finding one locally to at least sit on to see what the view over is like.
Most vented screens that I have googled seem to be see-through not see-over. That is an absolute no-no.
2014 KTM 690 ENDURO R
Magnusson

Post by Magnusson »

In my opinion see-through is fine, it might not be optimal for all circumstances, but i don't see a reason to avoid them at all costs. Some of the most comfortable bikes I've ridden on (regarding wind) have had large see-through screen. See-over removes a layer from your view of the road, but unless the layer is of low optical quality (which unfortunately can often be found, and is probably the main reason some people don't like them) it's not of great consequence. There are times when see-through can be a disadvantage, but not often enough to matter to me. They certainly feel like an advantage when riding long distances at high speed in cold and rain. It's bike dependent, but usually I'd rather have see-through screen than zero screen.
Champagne taste on beer budget.
Tonibe63

Post by Tonibe63 »

DavidS wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 9:30 am That option does lead me to the Expedition screen but it’s finding one locally to at least sit on to see what the view over is like.
Most vented screens that I have googled seem to be see-through not see-over. That is an absolute no-no.
I understand what you mean about the see-through screen from my experience with a tinted+raised screen on my GS .... it was dreadful but my clear (barn door) Wunderlich see-through screen was great but f'ugly.
I can also understand what you mean about the Expedition screen for the Norden, (for me) all those angles and curves look like it would distort the road vision and deflect the oncoming lights at night. Maybe get a test ride on an Expedition to see if it works for you.
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

I find the crf250 rally has a good shaped screen, as, for an avge height rider it is spac-effective .. small enough to not be intrusive, effective wind protection for size, can see over, no buffeting, etc .... my GP Komposite one is very similar, i notice.

why not just buy a similar shape/size one, and add an adjustable wind deflector to the top.
.. or a deflector you can bodge-fit to suit testing.

ps .. I find that mirrors and hand guards actually help the wind flow, as it seems to encourage the overall wind pattern full-around your position.

ImageDSCN5492 (2) by gary boy, on Flickr
DavidS

Post by DavidS »

Personally, I detest the screen toppers - absolutely no offence intended to those of you who like them.
Don’t forget that my idea of a big tour is leaving East Sussex! ☹️

I’m starting to think earplugs will be the easy trial until the weather improves, unless I can track down a nearby Expedition.
My contact at KTM UK told me P&H are still a possible but it would be into the new year or spring before anything actually happens so no chance locally unless there is a p/x lurking somewhere.

From what happened yesterday, I agree that the guards and mirrors do contribute to the screen effectiveness. No chance to retry as the weather is vile here today so I’’ve put the 42t sprocket on the 690 and dropped the yokes 10mm to match the rear lowering…and that hasn’t been tried either.
2014 KTM 690 ENDURO R
Paul_C

Post by Paul_C »

DavidS wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 5:13 pm
I’m starting to think earplugs will be the easy trial until the weather improves...
Must admit I'm a bit surprised that you, or any other riders, don't already use ear plugs. I've used them for about 40 years, currently 66 3/4, and never ride without them. The evidence connecting riding without them and hearing loss is out there. Once you're used to them there's no problem hearing what's necessary and intercoms are still quite usable.
Yes, try them at least.
Just along for the ride.
Husqvarna 901 Norden. Husqvarna 701 Enduro. Moto Guzzi LeMans II.

Return to “ACCESSORIES”