Screens - I’m confused.

The essential art of farkling.
DavidS

Re: Screens - I’m confused.

Post by DavidS »

Tramp wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 2:52 pm It's a bit of experiment but I've always just heated with hit air gun top 50mm of screen and bent forward ...kinda like a mini spoiler it pushes the air away above head without using a large screen...done it on many of my bikes...gently heat along edge then Ben forward with a cloth so you don't burn your hands lol...
:shock: :shock:
Not sure I’d trust myself with that one just yet.

I think I’ll give the taped on extension a go first and take it from there.
Might be interesting with the screen off as well, just as a comparison.
2023 Husqvarna Norden 901
2014 KTM 690 ENDURO R
Agent Orange

Post by Agent Orange »

Ah Screens and buffeting and wind noise...
everyone is different and every helmet is different...peak, no peak etc. Mirrors can push air and cause more turbulence, also Body length are all in the mix..
On my 990 Ktm, I was a conundrum to sort out, in the end I took 2 inches of the Standard screen and it was great with my non peaked helmet, but bad with the peaked...so I opted for a screen spoiler for when I wore the peaked helmet..
On trip with lots of miles before the off road bit, I would take spoiler and stash it in my tank bag whilst on the lanes..
Good luck with your experiments 👍🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🤞
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

I'd try taking the mirrors off, and seeing if that makes a difference.

I know this isn't legal, but I won't tell anyone.
paul_tim2000

Post by paul_tim2000 »

As you've discovered there are as many solutions/suggestions as there are riders and what works for one rider/helmet combination may well not work for another.
I'll make my suggestion : try spacing the screen forward by a couple of cm, you can probably 'bodge' something together with some longer bolts and some plastic pipe to try it. This can allow airflow under the screen which can reduce the buffeting. It worked for me, with about 2.5cm 3D printed spacers, on my Guzzi Stelvio but no promises.
DavidS

Post by DavidS »

paul_tim2000 wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 4:02 pm As you've discovered there are as many solutions/suggestions as there are riders and what works for one rider/helmet combination may well not work for another.
I'll make my suggestion : try spacing the screen forward by a couple of cm, you can probably 'bodge' something together with some longer bolts and some plastic pipe to try it. This can allow airflow under the screen which can reduce the buffeting. It worked for me, with about 2.5cm 3D printed spacers, on my Guzzi Stelvio but no promises.
That sounds like an idea to add to my list.
I do like the size of the standard screen so it would be good to stick to it if that works.

I can tell within a few hundred yards Richard so I could stick one of my under bar mirrors off my 690 if necessary.
Last edited by DavidS on Thu Nov 30, 2023 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2014 KTM 690 ENDURO R
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

its a difficult one .. on my NC750 the oem screen was tiny. Ok it is a Naked bike, but the wind chill was very bad, and the bufetting almost disabling on very windy days, but not too bad overall. I bought a slightly bigger scree, but still very windy and cold. Then I bought a GP komosit clear screen (after returning the Puig as it was the wrong colour, doh) and tried that ...
it was fabulous, I was shocked how much more stable it made the bike, in wind, and how much warmer warm it was.

Yes, downside there is more wind noise at the helmet, but i expect i can fix that with stuffing some [very] old socks around my neck.

I was very lucky, as, especially the taller rider, has problems with wind higher up. Most people seem to solve it with an additional flip up attached to the top of the new screen. Some come with is ready fixed. m Worth persevering though, as the benefits are high.
I feel like I'm riding a cruiser now, lol.

Image1 by gary boy, on Flickr
DavidS

Post by DavidS »

Moving it forward looks like a no as there are side fixings so it can’t really be moved.
Good idea though.
2014 KTM 690 ENDURO R
Tonibe63

Post by Tonibe63 »

Fitting a higher screen may get your helmet out of the airflow compared to the standard screen BUT it could well result in buffeting. Looking at the standard mounting points there doesn't appear to be any option for repositioning the standard screen so I would be trying a 'blue peter' style cardboard/sticky tape addition to the top edge to see how high it needs to be for less helmet noise without causing buffeting, then you could see what's available on the aftermarket.
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.
DavidS

Post by DavidS »

Tonibe63 wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 6:09 pm Fitting a higher screen may get your helmet out of the airflow compared to the standard screen BUT it could well result in buffeting. Looking at the standard mounting points there doesn't appear to be any option for repositioning the standard screen so I would be trying a 'blue peter' style cardboard/sticky tape addition to the top edge to see how high it needs to be for less helmet noise without causing buffeting, then you could see what's available on the aftermarket.
Thanks for the extra opinion.
Now first on my list….but I might whip the mirrors off first, just for the hell of it.
2014 KTM 690 ENDURO R
Magnusson

Post by Magnusson »

My 2 cents.
For good cover the screen should be about the same width as your chest. The top should be just below your line of sight.
Champagne taste on beer budget.

Return to “ACCESSORIES”