Has the time come for more comuter bikes

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
Tonibe63

Re: Has the time come for more comuter bikes

Post by Tonibe63 »

For me there's no time saved if you take into account the faff of getting the bike out of Fort Knox and put my gear on. My commute takes 20 minutes in the morning and 30/40 minutes in the afternoon in my van and not worth getting the bike out. It's a useful backup if my van is playing up though.
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.
Billy Bananahead

Post by Billy Bananahead »

Richard Simpson Mark II wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 10:00 am even though they are supposedly 'British'...perhaps the few people who still work for Triumph in Hinkley don't ride in the rain.
And if they do they probably wouldn't dream of riding a Triumph. :roll:
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

Is it like that picture of the BSA factory at Small Heath that was up here a while ago...it was taken some time in the late 1960s, and of the (I think) 5 motorbikes in the picture, 3 were Hondas?

I find motorcycles great for long-distance commuting (many years ago I got my KTM 950 to carry me from Gloucester to Dartford), but the shorter the distances, the less suitable they are, unless you are in an intense urban environment.

But even then, the idiots who run councils will try to stop you using them

See the London Borough of Hackney which is apparently run by Just Stop Oil.
Scott_rider

Post by Scott_rider »

If I go into London for work then I go on the bike, which is a 35 mile '(ish) journey. However, if I was using the bike everyday I'd probably need a second bike because the Suzuki isn't happy in the endless 20mph limits that have sprung up everywhere in recent years. Even the long 40mph limit on the three lane A40 Western Avenue from Denham to Park Royal then the 30mph limit on the three lane Westway down to Marylebone is a right PITA...17 miles of continually watching the speedo and not daring to touch the throttle...

:roll:
Suzuki GSX-S1000F...the KTM 450 EXC-R has gone
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

Yeah .. it takes me the best part of an hour to prepare to ride my bike. Actually sometimes longer if some basic maintenance is required. Of course, there is getting petrol, and then contending with rush hour, delays, accidents, road works etc etc etc.

If we're commuting (omg, glad I is retired) there is then the other end. Arrival .. wet, cold, traumatised, maybe even suffering some physical trauma like a sprained foot or recovering from an actual Off. OMG. Then parking and securing the bike, maybe in rain, hail or snow, and then finding the strength to actually undress, wet and cold, and getting u work clothes on, and probably late, rushing to u work place.

Gawd .. I'm exhausted just thinking about it .. but have often done it.. don't know how.
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

A small car is far far easier. .. u get u work clothes on, jump in car, ride to nearest grid lock. Easy.

Mm .. thoughts of E scooters. So easy, or what about small E cars? Economical too, until governments slap exorbitant taxes on em.

Even easier, would be if the cars could drive u to work. Pick out best routes, avoid gridlock throu AI and intelligent speeds.

Why hasn't anyone thought of this ???

.. er ..
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

My experience...if you ride every day then you know where everything is and get changed in and out of bike gear fast.

Occasional rider...by the time you've found a matching pair of gloves, cleaned your visor and pulled the bike out of the back of the shed...well if you'd taken the car you'd be half way home by now.
Ksithumper

Post by Ksithumper »

My general rule of thumb was that if your journey is 30mins or less by bike...take the car. It may take 15 mins more, but you save that in getting your clobber on/off. Factor in further negatives if very cold or wet.

...then take the bike anyway, because it's bloody brilliant.
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

I meant to say this earlier.. Cameras, AI technology, car cams,
Speed cameras, Average speed cameras, police anpr, satellite spying, police drones, etc and stuff I don't even know about. like sensors in the road, whole journey monitoring, car implant technology, speed sensor remote control of vehicle, microwave technology implementation, satellite monitoring, mobile phone snitching, etc .. made it all up but indications are already there.....

So why would you buy a bike that has speed and other stuff closely monitored by sad people implementing a government war on cars, especially bikes, especially especially those using an evil fossil fuel.

Some people have huge investments in EVs and the supporting businesses, .. and All governments have huge existential interest in population control.

A temporary respite can be gained by buying a commuter vehicle.. . For obvious reasons.
Scott_rider

Post by Scott_rider »

garyboy wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 3:10 pm I meant to say this earlier.. Cameras, AI technology, car cams,
Speed cameras, Average speed cameras, police anpr, satellite spying, police drones, etc and stuff I don't even know about. like sensors in the road, whole journey monitoring, car implant technology, speed sensor remote control of vehicle, microwave technology implementation, satellite monitoring, mobile phone snitching, etc .. made it all up but indications are already there.....
Google AI is already optimizing traffic lights in some cities (in India, I think) to cut down on congestion and is reducing waiting times by 30%, apparently. It's also powering google maps and can sometimes calculate a completely different sat nav route depending on when the directions are requested, based on real-time information and historical data that the AI interprets, apparently.

"I, Robot" may not be too far away... :shock:
Suzuki GSX-S1000F...the KTM 450 EXC-R has gone

Return to “THE PUB”