20 MPH default speed limit in Wales

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
garyboy

Re: 20 MPH default speed limit in Wales

Post by garyboy »

Reading Paul's link .. even Mr drakeford admits he will have trouble keeping to the 20 limit, as he is too impatient :? :roll:

There may be a year's "grace", but it will take a generation or at least many years, to become a new way of life .... but of course, the real problem is the non investment in our infrastructure.. we, driving in a victorian road system, connecting ancient village structure.

Mr drakeford does not want any more road building in wales, but that, new infrastructure, is exactly what is needed to protect our villages and residents.... at least, until we are driving flying cars.

Then our progressive Welsh government can invest millions in hard hats .. and very tall speed cameras.

Personally, I'm all for an even lower speed limit ... but After suitable bypasses are built. Assuming we are still driving cars then.
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

..... of course.. we won't be driving cars .... they will be driving us :D
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

The latest .. speed limit signs in wales are being replaced illegally, or defaced, or altered.. by ? Vigilantes ?

.. leading to "confusion " ... :!: :?:
Scott_rider

Post by Scott_rider »

Perhaps we will see a re-surgance of "moody plates" ? ;)

In my part of the world (35 miles northwest of London) we're lucky if we can go faster than the speed limit most of the time, even if we wanted to, because of the ridiculous congestion and the mahoosive potholes and the large membership of the "40mph club" - which is drivers who seem to only be able to drive at one speed...even in a 50, 60, or 70 limit... :roll: .
Suzuki GSX-S1000F...the KTM 450 EXC-R has gone
Asgard

Post by Asgard »

A strange thing I noticed last couple of days , everyone seemed to be paying far closer attention to speed limits and I mean all speed limits not just the 20mph Ones...like its put the whole speed thing a bit more at the front of peoples minds in Wales...it was very noticeable
Its a trick............get an Axe
mark vb

Post by mark vb »

Can't see a problem with the 20 limits in urban areas and villages. If you live somewhere with this limit, and you live near the street, it makes life more pleasant and quieter. If you're driving, you'll get to your destination marginally later, but if a child/adult/dog etc. runs into your path - or you run into them - they have a considerably greater chance of avoiding serious harm. It makes total sense.... to me, anyway, and that's as someone with bikes and a superquick car, plus I like being able to keep up with traffic when on my bicycle 😅
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

I think its a good idea to keep villages and towns for the pedestrians, and essential access .. but surely we need efficient bypasses First?
Billy Bananahead

Post by Billy Bananahead »

garyboy wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 2:39 pm I think its a good idea to keep villages and towns for the pedestrians, and essential access .. but surely we need efficient bypasses First?
I reckon Wales needs a great big 3 lane motorway all the way down the middle from Chester to Llandovery and do away with the A483. :lol:
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

Friend of my wife has to regularly go south down the coast road to Carmarthen for post-cancer checkups.
The journey used to take 50 minutes...post 20mph it takes an hour and 20.
After she left the hospital she went round the shops in town...empty by comparison to how they normally are.
This may 'save lives' but I think it's costing a lot of people time and money.
catcitrus

Post by catcitrus »

Just got back from France--down in the Dordogne on the BMR1100RS--what a difference in road condition, verge condition, signage and so on--we really do live in a shithole. Also the local villages do go down to 30 km/h with big speed humps etc--but everyone takes their time and drive politely--what a contrast. I did breakdown on the A28--BUT the policing and recovery were spot on. I can see why people leave the UK--especially after Brexit losing 40% of export trade, and our financial black hole (HS2 and dodgy contracts etc)

Return to “THE PUB”