20 MPH default speed limit in Wales

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
Spike941

Re: 20 MPH default speed limit in Wales

Post by Spike941 »

Can’t agree more Catcitrus. Myself and Mrs Spike currently trundling back from southern France in the RV avoiding tolls and motorways. 30kph now in most towns and villages as you say, and no one’s in a hurry to exceed it. The verge cutters are also currently out in force, and no complaints about the black tops. Looking forward to popping back on the bike next month, for a two week jaunt down to northern Spain.
Surely can’t all be down to Brexit? Must be the pandemic and the financial crash, and the boat people.
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

nothing to do with the govt printing money in lockdown (inflation) , while treating UK as a for-profit item? profits to big companies, mates, and energy companies abroad? No funding to infrastructure and the common people?
Hugh

Post by Hugh »

Screenshot 2023-09-25 at 20.49.17.png
Screenshot 2023-09-25 at 20.49.17.png (288.07 KiB) Viewed 2549 times
johnnyboxer

20 MPH default speed limit in Wales

Post by johnnyboxer »

I don’t see the vitriolic outrage for a Welsh 20 mph urban/village speed limit
It’s all over social media
Just back from a weekend in Scottish Borders
Every town and village is 20mph limit and has been for at least 2 years
Never gets a mention
Nobody seems bothered
I drove through villages at 20, of course and it was a pleasant experience (you could take in the charm of your surroundings) and nobody was on my bumper trying to ‘’push me faster’, they all just do 20
I cannot see what all the fuss is in Wales - all political I guess as the leader is a Labour politician
The Scot’s must be having a wry smile at the outrage of the Welsh
20 mph in built up areas make sense
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
Asgard

Post by Asgard »

Tbh Johnny I don't think there is much outrage in Wales either. Despite the Conservatives playground level attempts to make it another culture war In fact beyond the usual red faced nimbys, boy racers and Range rover driving twats taking the sprogs to school once a week most people seem to get it.

Bothered?...........nah
Its a trick............get an Axe
Agent Orange

Post by Agent Orange »

You have valid points guys...
there is a no argument about 20 in residential streets, schools etc, I think
the problem is there is no consistency in most of the signage....people don't know if it's 30 or 20...in stead of putting repeaters in 30 zones, all they have is a 30 sign at the beginning, so if you join a 30 from a 20 and don't see the sign on the junction (nobody does that as old habits of thinking it's all 30 everywhere etc) you think you're still in a 20, so carry on regardless...other parts of Cardiff for example...Ocean Way (a large thoroughfare for lorry's with industrial estates of it, no houses etc)..is 20 🤦🤯..there are loads more similar up the valleys....poor execution of a policy...very poor signage and the Welsh Assembly saying, local councils can choose to opt out and alter some toads as required.
It will calm down I hope...but people who used to go 25 in a 30 now go 15 in a 20...
Just need consistency..
A good analogy is the bin collections in different councils...some let you put some plastic in your bin others don't ect.
berin

Post by berin »

Asgard wrote:Tbh Johnny I don't think there is much outrage in Wales either. Despite the Conservatives playground level attempts to make it another culture war In fact beyond the usual red faced nimbys, boy racers and Range rover driving twats taking the sprogs to school once a week most people seem to get it.

Bothered?...........nah
No, only a petition signed by more people than voted for the Labour government in Wales asking for it to be overturned.

Hardly anyone really.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

read the petition is signed by 47% of 1.6 million drivers ... so far.

Personally I dont really care.
About time the mad drivers showed some respect for pedestrians ... (no such thing as `accidents`) .. but ... we need more localised bypasses. otherwise chaos is bound to ensue. ..
as already mentioned... you don't really know, always, if you're in a 20 or 30 zone.
Tonibe63

Post by Tonibe63 »

There's so much anger, frustration and division in our Country at the moment ........ I see it every day when driving around the Midlands so it must be really in your face in the bigger cities or areas that are being 'controlled' by new restrictions. It's easy to see why when you look at our Liberties being crushed by Ulez, 15 minute city zones, congestion charges, 20mph zones etc etc all of which are being imposed upon us without having any say in the matter. Understandably the silent majority feel like they are being punished for the actions of the minority ...... (be that Politicians or speeding motorists).
I'm not sure what the answer is but we seem to be working through the alphabet:-
Arsehole politician (just different colour ties)
Brexit
Covid
Drakeford
Elon taking over the World next????

I think it's time to hibernate and see what Spring brings 🤔
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.
Spike941

Post by Spike941 »

Looking at the sums. If I ride through my small town twice a day, at 20 and not 30, Monday to Friday for 45 weeks of the year, I’ll be sat in the saddle for an extra 3 and three quarter hours over the year. And that’s assuming I don’t get stuck behind the dustcart every other Thursday.
I guess I can live with that.

Return to “THE PUB”