E10 carbon soot on silencer

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
Tramp

E10 carbon soot on silencer

Post by Tramp »

As per title jm noticing a lot of black carbon soot on the silencer outlet of my xt660z...after using the new e10 from shell fuel mainly...

Commuting 40miles round trip each day on motorways so about 65mph upwards...4000rpm mainly ...I've changed nothing on the bike but lots more soot on baffle at tip..
Magnusson

Re: E10 carbon soot on silencer

Post by Magnusson »

I had XT600 way back in early 90's. Nice bike, I miss it.
I'd pull the plug and check if it's running a bit rich. Then either adjust fuel mixture (maybe a bit difficult with fuel injection) or try different temperature sparkplug. You could also have an engine that is about to fail and be burning oil (Aren't I a beacon of joy today? :D ).
Champagne taste on beer budget.
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

I would say Don't change the plug heat range .. bad experience had, o dear.
But definitely check and probably change the plug.
Check all maintenance up to date, especially oil.
If its dct, don't think so, do a dct reset.
Change your mode of riding, possibly, to allow good clean combustion over 20 miles. Check air filter.
Maybe rev it more.

Try E5
. More power and probably cleaner burn.

Just basic stuff really.

Maybe check battery and connections?
Possibly some redex or similar?
Asgard

Post by Asgard »

Thinking back to my youth, I seem to remember that the model engines I played with that ran on Methanol ran cooler than similar petrol engines, I wonder if temperatures including exhaust gas temperatures reduce to a noticeable degree with increased alcohol percentages :?:
Its a trick............get an Axe
PaulinBont

Post by PaulinBont »

I am only filling up with Shell V-Power ; rated at 99RON , it works out at about the extra cost of about a couple of quid and I think it is worth the extra.
BP’s is only 95 RON for the same price.

Is the performance any better? Probably not but hopefully the longer-term advantages will justify the cost.

Supermarket E5 if necessary but never E10.

As I only use the bikes for pleasure, I can justify to myself the extra cost of a latte to fill up.
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

I believe the percentage of ethanol is variable, as stated as 'up to' say 5% or 'up to' say 10%. This will depend on what's available, oe region or circumstances etc. So you can't even judge or allow for the petrol type.

Around here, my local petrol station does 5%, and you can feel the 'upgrade' in power .. though of course its still not as good as unleaded, or, the leaded.

I have not yet found a petrol station for 5% in mid or west Wales. So I sometimes try to work it that I am close to empty when arriving home, sos I can fill up, on the way out for a run, at my pokey little local.

As Paul says, the difference in a tank full is only a few quid, but the feel of my nc750s is transformed, even though it is labelled for both 5% and 10%. I wouldn't recommend putting a latte in though.

I still think the OP problem is down to maintenance though.
Bart1

Post by Bart1 »

Tesco Haverfordwest and Cardigan both have E5, my old Honda Vf1000 seems to run very well on it......so far.
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

Bart1 wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 2:38 pm Tesco Haverfordwest and Cardigan both have E5, my old Honda Vf1000 seems to run very well on it......so far.
That's amazing.. I was thinking about Haverfordwest tesco just yesterday, as a cafe stop for a run.
So cardigan tesco do E5 too ?
Bart1

Post by Bart1 »

garyboy wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 3:07 pm
Bart1 wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 2:38 pm Tesco Haverfordwest and Cardigan both have E5, my old Honda Vf1000 seems to run very well on it......so far.
That's amazing.. I was thinking about Haverfordwest tesco just yesterday, as a cafe stop for a run.
Yes, Cardigan too.
PaulinBont

Post by PaulinBont »

garyboy wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 3:07 pm
Gary,
Great cafe at the airport in H’west: ‘Propellors’

Return to “TECHNICAL”