Adventures to Starbucks on my BMW R1150GSA

Post up pics of you and your bike. A place for members to get all arty farty, creative and, er, post up snaps.
adventure steele

Re: Adventures to Starbucks on my BMW R1150GSA

Post by adventure steele »

Few more piccies from the other day
Last edited by adventure steele on Mon Aug 07, 2023 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
adventure steele

Still waiting on the darn service bits I ordered at BMW It's looking like it's gonna be a 3 week wait on Germany bits again.

Need to decide on an order some oils tomorrow as well

Really enjoying the bike though great fun.

Couple off things I was wandering is how loud are they usually going from 2nd to 1st bit clanky?

For anyone with the gs911 can you view the tps volts? I got the motoscan today but it's one thing it doesn't show on the motronic 2.4?

Last edited by adventure steele on Mon Aug 07, 2023 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
adventure steele

Ended up fitting the new genuine grips today.
Took 3 weeks to arrive so hopefully my other bits will show up at the main dealer as well this week.

First step was to cut off the genuine worn out throttle grip
Then the pattern clutch side grip.

Very carefully with a surgical scalpel, BMW seemed to have glued mine in 4 spots at both ends.

After removing the grip I then dealt with any remaining rubber carefully chamfering it down so it wouldn't interfer with the new grips.

Then I took some gorila glue clear and repeated the glue spots onto the heated elements (used that in the past on heated grips)

After that wd40 into the inside of the grips an pop them on checking alignment and clearance to where the originals were before you took them off (take pics) I usually leave 24 hours just to make sure it's all dried properly before riding.

Finally I fitted new gen bar ends and bolts.

One thing to be aware off is my bar ends bolts had red loctite on so something to watch for. Good ol bmw lol.

Before refitting the bolts clear out any threadlock on the inside of the bar threads.

You need two throttle grips from the older GS's if replacing heated grip ones on the 1150. The clutch one won't fit on naturally with it having a tube.

Took a reference pic off the Ariete grip against the genuine, differences to the material feel and the shape.

garyboy

Post by garyboy »

Very neat, and carefully done.

Never even thought the bar end weights could be left on, but always worried, when changing mine, if there would be vibration, but never was.

Surprised that BMW heated grips are the same both sides, but this is because it is an older model, it seems.

All the heated grips I ever fitted had different left to right, and the bar ends were always left out, but made sure the throttle side of the hand guard poked out off the throttle grip so it could turn.

A confession.. I was always a bit brutal with trimming the bare bar sub grips, which usually led to loose final grips. No glue either lol. Yes they moved a bit .. but I am usually gripping (off road) with fear, anyway lol. The side advantage is that in a fall they are easily adjusted.

The 1150 was always a sought after model, described in the past anyway , as the best BMW, but was always described as clunky gears, and a bit agricultural. I never rode one so I don't really know.

Good to see you enjoying your new bike .. Nice to have a big engine under you on long trips.
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

EDIT last sentence..

Can't beat a big engine under you for a long trip ..
' unless you wear a handlebar moustache '
adventure steele

Technically BMW want you to buy the sided heated grips which come LH and RH with full complete wiring and elements on the tubes. To the tune of about 200 quid! Ouch.

Ariete which is what Motorworks sell are pattern ones for about 20 quid but there are differences in the hardness off the rubber, the texture and shape on the grips.

Or you can buy the gen BMW grips from the older GS's but you need to throttle grips as the heated grip element sits on a tube on the lh side as well. So the clutch side one from the older GS is to small on the Internal Diamater to fit over.

From memory they were about 38 quid each.
Last edited by adventure steele on Mon Aug 07, 2023 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

Personally, I have much experience of the mantra..
"If it ain't broken, don't fix it"

However, it is probably very essential to rectify even small defects Before a major trip.

I have also found that basics (of maintenance) are the most essential and cost effective. Especially... changing the oil.
adventure steele

I agree Gary they call it liquid engineering for a reason :) alot of people always overlook the basics.

unfortunately I've got a problem to diagnose tomorrow with a very loud creaking from the rear end.

It's either the rear shock or FD Pivot bearings or a combination off both which I'm really hoping it isn't. Luckily it only started happening very close to home when I felt the handling go off under de acceleration.

Creaking quite loudly when lifting off the stand and squeaking / creaking depending on how hard I push the seat.

Tomorrow's job is to pull the rear shock and inspect everything check for play in the swingarm bearings + pivot bearings. I'm gonna get a digital temp guage so I can heat the pivot pins with my heat gun an check the bearings out visually an look at ordering some.

Then check the shock out inspect for any leaking on it was to tired to look tonight as I'd been riding for about 12 hours.

Always interesting to get your head round any issues. I had a feeling the bearings / shock might had been on the way. Least they are Ohlins so should be rebuildable.

Onto week 3 off waiting for the gen parts coming in at the local bmwmotorrad Dealer for the 2nd time so I can do its service, there's something they don't tell you in any reviews be prepared for long waits on bits if they arnt in the UK seriously BMW I remember when I had the F800GS an it was 5 days max from Germany much better.

Bit irritating as if it is my pivot bearings that could be a potential 3 week wait for parts again.

Coming from the world off Classic Nortons where I can get everything next day from any of the 3 Norton Suppliers, Andover, Norvil an RGM it's been a suprise. You could literally build a period Commando from new parts.

I do have friends with 1250's that haven't been able to get the bikes in for service for months waiting lists so not just an 1150 parts issue.

Before the Norway trip I'll make a list of potential spares I'll need an make sure I have them on the shelf like I do for the service bits on the Nortons.

Anyways here's a few pics from today :)

Last edited by adventure steele on Mon Aug 07, 2023 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
johnnyboxer

Post by johnnyboxer »

It’s not the shock
Creaking when you push down on the seat is the pivot bearings
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
Tonibe63

Post by Tonibe63 »

johnnyboxer wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 9:36 am It’s not the shock
Creaking when you push down on the seat is the pivot bearings
That's my experience too JB, albeit with the 1200gs.
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.

Return to “WE LOVE PICS”