Adventures to Starbucks on my BMW R1150GSA

Post up pics of you and your bike. A place for members to get all arty farty, creative and, er, post up snaps.
Asgard

Re: Adventures to Starbucks on my BMW R1150GSA

Post by Asgard »

Is it possible to remove the beak on these things without other stuff falling off?
Its a trick............get an Axe
johnnyboxer

Post by johnnyboxer »

Asgard wrote:Is it possible to remove the beak on these things without other stuff falling off?
Why??
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
Asgard

Post by Asgard »

Oh just aesthetics, Im not a fan of the look and it seems to already have a conventional front mudguard...does it give extra protection from spray or something?
Its a trick............get an Axe
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

I wouldn't want to be chased down a dark lane by that wicked gay beak :?

Other orientations of evil beaks are available, ...
adventure steele

Post by adventure steele »

I agree with Johnny personally they look bril! Although I am Biased haha

Now to get back on track a bit,

The GS Height centre stand came yesterday to match the lowered GS Spec Ohlins and with a tip from Lee on the 1150GS FB group who sent me some pictures of his shackle I modified it by removing 1 third from it to compensate for the difference in the mounting lug distance that the shackle fastens onto,

I replaced the o rings on the bushings while I had it apart to :)

It's best to put the springs on once at a time, larger first then use a zip tie to pull the smaller one through carefully.

Another tip if you have a small garden rake with 4 or 3 struts you can hook a spring puller onto it an it'l help get enough purchase to pop the springs on.

Obv all at your own risk etc,

Allowed me to retain all the GSA Bracketry and the GSA Side stand.

good thing is now it pops on the stand real easy infact easier than alot of lighter bikes which surprised me.

Still waiting for the local BM Dealer to get some bit's in so I can fit my stock exhaust on hopefully they hurry up ha!

Next step I wanna do now is check what plugs are in her, n do the 56k service, looking at the paperwork as well the clutch fluid is due,

An I'm gonna check the FD out as well now I can get her on the stand.
johnnyboxer

Post by johnnyboxer »

adventure steele wrote:I agree with Johnny personally they look bril! Although I am Biased haha

Now to get back on track a bit,

The GS Height centre stand came yesterday to match the lowered GS Spec Ohlins and with a tip from Lee on the 1150GS FB group who sent me some pictures of his shackle I modified it by removing 1 third from it to compensate for the difference in the mounting lug distance that the shackle fastens onto,

I replaced the o rings on the bushings while I had it apart to :)

It's best to put the springs on once at a time, larger first then use a zip tie to pull the smaller one through carefully.

Another tip if you have a small garden rake with 4 or 3 struts you can hook a spring puller onto it an it'l help get enough purchase to pop the springs on.

Obv all at your own risk etc,

Allowed me to retain all the GSA Bracketry and the GSA Side stand.

good thing is now it pops on the stand real easy infact easier than alot of lighter bikes which surprised me.

Still waiting for the local BM Dealer to get some bit's in so I can fit my stock exhaust on hopefully they hurry up ha!

Next step I wanna do now is check what plugs are in her, n do the 56k service, looking at the paperwork as well the clutch fluid is due,

An I'm gonna check the FD out as well now I can get her on the stand.
Just done 650 miles on mine around the Borders in 2.5 days
Quite a wet trip but the 1150 Adv didn’t put a foot wrong and just does everything with ease
Mate had a new Ducati Desert X and I had an hour on it yesterday
Nice bike but complex etc
Very quick and nimble
But he quite liked my 1150

With money we don't have

adventure steele

I had hoped to be out this weekend. Unfortunately got two issues at the mo.

Waiting on a few bolts coming into my Local Motorrad dealer which should have arrived Thursday n now it looks like latest next Wednesday drat. Once those are in I can get the standard exhaust fitted.

Then gotta have a looksee at what colour clutch fluid is in.
So I can order the right one.

I'm also at a slight stop due to some pattern parts which came (I'd ordered genuine grips from a independent supplier) an some Pattern Ariete grips showed up with noticable differences. The pain being I'd asked if they were genuine before hand and they stated yep so I'd spent time removing the grips from the heated elements while waiting for the slow delivery. So was a suprise to see the Ariete ones.

Just speaking to the dealer at the moment to see what they wanna do hopefully I should hear back on Monday morning to my last email.

Noticeably harder compounds, different feel to the rubber, straight edges where the gen have curves coming from the part which butts against the switch and incorrect thickness on the bit that buts against the switch which is noticable. I'll post some pics on that when I've got a solution.

They were against a BMW part number for some from an older 1100GS an K series where you can buy still from bmw for about 36 quid a pop the throttle grip seperate then use that on both sides. I've done some reading up an some googling an it looks like those will do the trick an which i thought I was getting and be correct in looks to.

So we shall see how that one plays out. Always good to get the measure of a company with something like this before spending big money with them on parts.

Much more affordable option than 200 quid or so for gen heated grips with elements. There's nothing wrong with the elements so hopefully I can just get the grips sorted.

Gonna inspect the FD tomorrow now I've got a functioning main stand while I'm waiting to hear about the parts for the exhaust bolts an grips (I'm suspecting the pivot bearings might have the slightest of play but I wanna have another feel tomorrow) I did read that sometimes these can be adjusted after copious amounts of heat to the pivot pins to check for loctite.

If I end up doing the Pivot bearings and Crown Wheel bearings I might do the swingarm bearings to then all the FD is done an I have an exact starting point with it. Gonna order from my BM dealer as well so I know the bearings are genuine.

What's everyone's favourite matt/satin wax for the silver tanked bikes?
Last edited by adventure steele on Mon Aug 07, 2023 9:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
adventure steele

Lil bit of progress

Stock exhaust system is fitted finished that the other night and I'm just on the way back with dad in his car from picking a stock air filter up.

Ordered a few more bits today a spare key, an a oil filter and crush washers + found that the speedo cable guides were worn so replaced those as well :)

Got a price on the FD Pivot bearings and the crown wheel bearing + seal.

Tried to price a few service tools up after reading the reprom cd-rom on my gas powered windows xp laptop
Bmw won't even tell you the price nor show you the service tools list which sucks that was a bit of a head scratcher tbh sell you the parts the repair discs but not the tools to do it properly lol.

Looks like there's a few methods online to double check it all out.

Anyways that's my yearly whinge lol.

Next thing I'm in the process of trying to sus out is what was done to the ECU, it had been hilltopped for the straight through exhaust k&n and the y peice was running an o2 sensor.

Does anyone know if they used to swap a chip out on the ECU back then or was it software?

Or did anyone from that era go back to a stock system after the hilltop stuff. Was running great just far to loud for my sensitive hearing hence going back to stock.

Just trying to sus out the best course of action now I've put it back to stock (more used to Whitworth spanners jets an plug chops)

Assuming it'll run on the rich side as is.
Not sure how much adaption the motronic ecu can handle
Here's some pics :)

One bit of good news is she already has the upgraded cam chain tensioner in.

Magnusson

Post by Magnusson »

"Next thing I'm in the process of trying to sus out is what was done to the ECU, it had been hilltopped for the straight through exhaust k&n"

This is the exact reason I avoid modified used bikes. Won't touch them with a ten foot long pole. Even if it's just a slip on exhaust.
Some "genius" improves his bike until he gives up on the loud noise, poor running and high fuel consumption. Then flogs it off to some unsuspecting bloke, who spends ridiculous amount of time and money to try to get it running half as good as it did when leaving the factory. We'll have to see if you can get it running well enough for it to be a keeper, or flog it on to the next bloke.
Champagne taste on beer budget.
johnnyboxer

Adventures to Starbucks on my BMW R1150GSA

Post by johnnyboxer »

Magnusson wrote:"Next thing I'm in the process of trying to sus out is what was done to the ECU, it had been hilltopped for the straight through exhaust k&n"

This is the exact reason I avoid modified used bikes. Won't touch them with a ten foot long pole. Even if it's just a slip on exhaust.
Some "genius" improves his bike until he gives up on the loud noise, poor running and high fuel consumption. Then flogs it off to some unsuspecting bloke, who spends ridiculous amount of time and money to try to get it running half as good as it did when leaving the factory. We'll have to see if you can get it running well enough for it to be a keeper, or flog it on to the next bloke.
Both my GSA are running in stock form

I did buy one of them with a Y piece - but soon put the cat collector box back on, after purchase

Both run fine as factory standard and all my bikes are factory standard engine wise
However I always run aftermarket suspension on my bikes which makes for a better handling bike

With money we don't have

Return to “WE LOVE PICS”