Adventures to Starbucks on my BMW R1150GSA

Post up pics of you and your bike. A place for members to get all arty farty, creative and, er, post up snaps.
adventure steele

Adventures to Starbucks on my BMW R1150GSA

Post by adventure steele »

So for anyone new to my threads a lil catchup

Recently I've had a few bikes partly out of curiosity and alot have gone due to rejection with issues.

R1200GSA 2014 owned since late 2014 till about 2017, did a ton of miles on it and trips all over the UK inc riding from near the cat and fiddle to Cornwall in an 8 hour thunderstorm spending a day riding round an then rode back :) unfortunately at a valve clearance check BMW managed to destroy the engine, which lead to multiple screw ups fixing it 3 engines a gearbox /FD.

After that I had a Vstrom 1000xt for a while but to similar to the fireblade I've owned since 2010.

That lead to an F800GS which I liked but redundancy meant having to let it go. Issues to report on that bad wind management an a penchant for headbearings. Did a few trips up around Scotland.

Rode my Norton a an rd250lc for a while doing 2k Miles in a week on the elsie.

After that in around 2021 I got a Vstrom 650XT loved it great for everything I was doing 600 mile days etc an didn't want to part with.

Dad started talking about getting some lighter bikes for our dream trip to Norway so I sold my Vstrom 650xt + his older gsxr to get us two 390 advs (this is where it starts to go wrong)

390 adv mine and dads rejected for refunds at 147 and 269 miles full of issues qc, build and display faults.

That lead me back onto a 1200GS TE Rallye from 2018

Unfortunately I had to part with it due to some mitigating circumstances life is a insert your favourite word.

I spent half the money on a Himalayan which I loved at first but started to have issue after issue with so I spoke to the dealer who had supplied it when I sold the GS an it went back for a refund at 500 miles with them agreeing things that had been missed shouldn't have.

After that I still wanted to give green laning a go so I bought the 300 Rally got really lucky finding one added a RR level 1 shock an for what I'd bought it for perfect. Giving green laning a go, an seeing if I enjoyed that sort of riding which I didn't. Especially on the UK trails, I think if I was to do that sort of riding I'd give Classic Trails a go on an old Norton.

An I honest enough to admit that I didn't enjoy riding on the UK green lanes, there's different styles for all of us to enjoy in Adventure.

This coincided with our house move plans changing from Cornwall (perfect for a trail bike) to on the edge of the Scottish Highlands.

Life's to short sometimes to stick with something for the sake of it and I'm a great believer I'm the right tool for the job.

So at the weekend I sold the Rally it got to the point I had to turn my phone off due to the amount of enquiries.

For the past 4 years I've daily rode a 1967 Norton 650SS Inc winters. Which lead me onto wanting something less techy but that offers what an want now out of a bike for my changed needs which is now more long distance road based adventure travel with the occasional light gravel road.

So without further ado.

Yay! It finally happened 🥰 I found one! Just got back from buying my BMW R1150GSA Factory none abs with enduro gearbox an Ohlins

Having the 1150 is an absolute dream as I grew up watching Long Way Round which was in inspiration for me riding on adventures no matter how small or even on my Nortons. So to be on a 2004 1150GSA is epic!

Shes more in my wheelhouse to as you can spanner on them yourself like I do with my Nortons an seeing the analogue needles going round is brilliant fun. Which gets me off the BMW Warranty merigo round with the newer ones and the tech on them.

It's a shame BMW don't bring these out again an same for the R80! Fire those production lines up in Germany BMW.

Light might be right in some instances but it's nice being on a GSA for the wind management neck feels great.

I'm mainly road riding now and covering Long distances with a move up to Scotland and a trip to Norway an The Nordkapp after all the house move is sorted with dad. So with no more trail riding it was the perfect bike in budget.

She's just turned over to 52,800 or so, here's to the next 250k!

Next adventures planned to Starbucks all over haha :lol:

When dad and I get to do our Norway trip I'll either take my 1150 or we will take two water cooled or 650xt's
Last edited by adventure steele on Mon Aug 07, 2023 8:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
dave h

Re: Adventures to Starbucks on my BMW R1150GSA

Post by dave h »

good to hear you had a positive interaction with the shop,

they have had my deposit for my new kove for a few months now,

dave.
adventure steele

Just managed to get a stock can an cat from a low miles 2004 to get whatever the one thatd on off as it was a bit to loud for me on the ride home. (Sensitive hearing)

Itl be interesting to see how the Kove is you will have to keep us all updated mate.
Last edited by adventure steele on Sat Aug 05, 2023 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
adventure steele

First Adventure to Starbucks done lmao!

I've got a Standard exhaust can and a cat on the way so just gotta sus out what's been done previously on the bike mapping wise. I can see the sensor is plugged into the y peice at the mo. There's a few sheets from Hiltop in the folder, I'm assuming they run a map on the 1150 ecus?

Last edited by adventure steele on Mon Aug 07, 2023 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tonibe63

Post by Tonibe63 »

Yes Hilltop garage used to do the mapping although the guy who did it has moved to somewhere else in the Hinckley area under the name of Hilltop Motorcycles.
Last edited by Tonibe63 on Sun Jun 25, 2023 7:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.
adventure steele

It's still got a lamba sensor wired up, hopefully the original system should be good the one that's on it is far to loud for me :)

Got the cat and end can on the way from another 04.
Last edited by adventure steele on Mon Aug 07, 2023 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
macvisual

Post by macvisual »

wOOw, I'm really lovin' your newly acquired R1150 GSA. A fabulous machine. I never knew you could buy them with the non ABS system...

Here's an old pic from around 2005 when I owned one myself.

Love your photography by the way, great photo skills Sir...!!

ImageGS Adventure by APM Photography, on Flickr

Regards.
peter
Scotland
"Progress is not possible without deviation".

Frank Zappa
Tonibe63

Post by Tonibe63 »

Here's the Google results for Hilltop Motorcycles incase you need it http://www.hilltopmotorcycles.co.uk/.
Geff was the guy who used to do the maps but I've not seen him since they moved 5+ years ago
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.
adventure steele

Thanks Peter an thanks for sharing that cool pic of your old one! :) just a few mobile pics really :) always fun though.

Cheers mate hopefully should have the standard exhaust can and cat arriving on Monday absolutely can't wait to try it.

I'm gonna order the tools to get the stick coils out as well, want to double check what spark plugs are in looking at the BMW EPC the twin spark ran different plugs top n low.

Here's the first adventure to Starbucks!! Lol
macvisual

Post by macvisual »

adventure steele wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2023 10:08 am Thanks Peter an thanks for sharing that cool pic of your old one! :) just a few mobile pics really :) always fun though.

Cheers mate hopefully should have the standard exhaust can and cat arriving on Monday absolutely can't wait to try it.

I'm gonna order the tools to get the stick coils out as well, want to double check what spark plugs are in looking at the BMW EPC the twin spark ran different plugs top n low.

Here's the first adventure to Starbucks!! Lol
wOOw that looks like a real clean machine for it's year and mileage - health to enjoy it...!!!

I'm nearly jealous....lol.

Regards.
pete
"Progress is not possible without deviation".

Frank Zappa

Return to “WE LOVE PICS”