Sorted

If you’re looking to clear out the garage or fill it back up post up your FOR SALE or WANTED here. No commercial sales, just personal stuff.
adventure steele

Sorted

Post by adventure steele »

All sorted
Last edited by adventure steele on Wed Jun 21, 2023 4:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
johnnyboxer

Wanted BMW R 1150 GS Adventure

Post by johnnyboxer »

adventure steele wrote:Hi everyone im on the hunt for an 1150 GS Adventure. After something with circa 35k miles.

Has to be a silver one an a twin spark.

If anyone has one for sale feel free to pop me a pm

Budget is dependant on condition and history

Thanks in advance.
Best of luck, they are out there Image

I have exactly what you are searching for …
Silver
April 2005 twin spark
Factory non ABS
Owned it from new, for the last 18 years
Oh and it’s totally mint with no dirt on it whatsoever
I only use it on dry & sunny days

Unfortunately it’s not for sale
Last edited by johnnyboxer on Sat Jun 17, 2023 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
adventure steele

Re: Wanted BMW R 1150 GS Adventure

tease haha! :lol:

It does show they are out there mate it's sods law there's been epic ones on over the past month all well within the budget while I was thinking about letting the Rally go thought oh well only live once.

An the day I sell it the bike I fancied sold always the way.

Saw a silver one with the bread box panniers 35k miles at a dealers for £4290 which was tidy immaculate condition with servo's on sold unfortunately.

The good news is the insurance finally got back to me an having the servo abs removed isn't an issue to insure so that's good opens up a few more bikes.
johnnyboxer

Post by johnnyboxer »

adventure steele wrote:tease haha! :lol:

It does show they are out there mate it's sods law there's been epic ones on over the past month all well within the budget while I was thinking about letting the Rally go thought oh well only live once.

An the day I sell it the bike I fancied sold always the way.

Saw a silver one with the bread box panniers 35k miles at a dealers for £4290 which was tidy immaculate condition with servo's on sold unfortunately.

The good news is the insurance finally got back to me an having the servo abs removed isn't an issue to insure so that's good opens up a few more bikes.
Having got both versions - one with factory non ABS and the other with Servo ABS removed, I would say the factory non ABS has the best brakes, with great modulation
I can perform front wheel ‘rolling’ stoppies on it & get the rear wheel in the air
The bike which has had the Servo removed (professionally) properly has slightly less feel as there is an extra length of brake cabling under the headstock that the non ABS bike doesn’t have & therefore the brakes are sharper, with more feel
To make them the same you would have to buy the same front brake pipes from the non ABS bike
I used a new rear non ABS bike brake pipe and that’s the same feel (it only costs £43 new for the braided hose from bmw)
If it was me, I would go for a factory non ABS bike, rather than one that has had the Servo ABS removed
Last edited by johnnyboxer on Sat Jun 17, 2023 10:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

With money we don't have

adventure steele

Thanks mate I really appreciate the input, big help.

I'll stick to the original plan of a none servo bike.
ronnie69

Post by ronnie69 »

These come up on ukgser.com now n then

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Magnusson

Post by Magnusson »

Wondering why people would not like ABS on such a big and heavy bike?
Champagne taste on beer budget.
OnHellas

Post by OnHellas »

Magnusson wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 9:51 pm Wondering why people would not like ABS on such a big and heavy bike?
I was wondering the same myself. I wasn’t particularly a fan of the servo stuff when I owned an 1150GS Adv from ‘03 to ‘09 but the one time I needed the ABS….I was certainly pleased it was there.
My fault that I needed it by the way.
johnnyboxer

Post by johnnyboxer »

Magnusson wrote:Wondering why people would not like ABS on such a big and heavy bike?
It’s not ABS per se
It’s the fact that in BMW’s from 2003 to 2007, the ABS is controlled by an electric servo motor and not just hydraulic pressure controller

With money we don't have

chipy

Post by chipy »

As already mentioned the problem is not the ABS it is with the servo unit that aids the breaking and operates the ABS. I have a R1150r on which the servo developed an intermittent fault leaving the bike with almost no brakes!

It is a common fault and motorworks do a kit which enables the removal of the servo which basically joins the break lines together so the servo can be removed. One added problem is that the servo also operates the break light so this needs to be rewired as the original switches operate backwards.

Local bike garage removed mine and did all the work which took about 4 hours.
1980 rs100, 1986 DT50 mx, 1990 fj1200, 1998 zzr600, 2003 R1150r, 2007 G650Xcountry, 2012 Honda wave 110, 2014 Beta alp 4.0, 2014 Beta alp 200, 2020 xt1200z

Return to “FOR SALE - WANTED”