Peter Hammond Motorcycles

Had a GREAT service or buying experience with a vendor then post it up here.
Richard Simpson Mark II

Peter Hammond Motorcycles

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

of Cirencester has closed. It opened as a BSA dealer in 1959.

Boss Dave Hammond (son of Peter) contested a couple of Dakar rallies.

The shop itself had a load of BSA-Triumph spares in stock (plus classic Honda and Suzuki) and (until recently) a Yamaha franchise. A proper 'old school' dealer.

Apparently the cost of installing a new Yamaha 'corporate look' was too much for this small country dealership. Another independent local business dies, and no doubt some big corporate will open a soulless showroom on an industrial estate in Swindon to sell Yamaha bikes on PCP while employing staff who have nil interest in their customers and no product knowledge. But they will have a false ceiling in 'charcoal' and that's what matters these days!

Miserable decor to go with the miserable staff and ugly bikes.

Sorry, Rant over!
Spike941

Re: Peter Hammond Motorcycles

Post by Spike941 »

Oh no! They were my MOT testers of choice. ☹️
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

used to live near there, but can't remember it....

but lets be positive .. any bike dealer sited anywhere accessible under any franchise is ,, surely .. a plus.
but i understand the loss of a well known dealer
johnnyboxer

Post by johnnyboxer »

Richard Simpson Mark II wrote:of Cirencester has closed. It opened as a BSA dealer in 1959.

The shop itself had a load of BSA-Triumph spares in stock (plus classic Honda and Suzuki) and (until recently) a Yamaha franchise. A proper 'old school' dealer.

Apparently the cost of installing a new Yamaha 'corporate look' was too much for this small country dealership. Another independent local business dies, and no doubt some big corporate will open a soulless showroom on an industrial estate in Swindon to sell Yamaha bikes on PCP while employing staff who have nil interest in their customers and no product knowledge. But they will have a false ceiling in 'charcoal' and that's what matters these days!

Sorry, Rant over!
All true
Very sad
Proper bike dealers are closing more regularly
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
johnnyboxer

Post by johnnyboxer »

garyboy wrote:used to live near there, but can't remember it....

but lets be positive .. any bike dealer sited anywhere accessible under any franchise is ,, surely .. a plus.
but i understand the loss of a well known dealer
So you’d sooner use a National chain dealer over an old school bike dealer ????
I wouldn’t

With money we don't have

Snaf MKII

Post by Snaf MKII »

Sounds more like they haven't evolved the business and have plans other than running a motorcycle shop.

https://www.hammondmotorcycles.co.uk/un ... of-an-era/
Crossrutted

Post by Crossrutted »

Richard Simpson Mark II wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 5:15 pm of Cirencester has closed. It opened as a BSA dealer in 1959.

Sorry, Rant over!
That is a pity - was a great shop for Yamahas and IIRC Dave Hammond was a very good enduro rider.

BTW Richard - a classic "rant" and without even a mention of a Husky 610/630! :lol:
johnnyboxer

Post by johnnyboxer »

An eclectic mix of NOS spares, from 63 years of trading

https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/peterhammond ... =nc&_pgn=1

With money we don't have

Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

I do wonder at the wisdom of motorcycle dealerships consolidating and moving to large 'out-of-town' glass boxes on industrial estates.
The next generation of motorcyclists used to be seen pressing their snotty little noses on the windows of traditional dealers on their way home from school lusting after the Suzuki GT250 or whatever inside...then a year or two later they'd be dragging their parents in to sign up for one on HP.
Not any more...the bikes are all behind mirror glass on industrial estates with no 'walk in' customers at all.
the Honda dealership I used to run in Leicestershire was by no means perfect, but it was on a main road into town and had a bus-stop outside!
dodursley

Post by dodursley »

Blade in Swindon are Yamaha dealers and the expanding Completely at Staverton have been Yamaha dealers for a while.
When In lived in Cricklade 40+ years ago, Hammonds did my MOTs the tester always remembered me with my iron Square 4 and other old bikes. The shop was always good for Brit bits even in more recent times.
Last edited by dodursley on Fri Apr 07, 2023 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “HEROES”