Crf 300 Rally - The Adventure Begins

Post up pics of you and your bike. A place for members to get all arty farty, creative and, er, post up snaps.
minkyhead

Re: Crf 300 Rally - The Adventure Begins

Post by minkyhead »

you will pick stuff up as you go to be fair i like your video as it really is what a lot of new off roaders face and tbo what looks simple to more expirianced guy isnt so to a off road novice
trust me horrible pebbles and rocks slippy wet grass and muddy green ruts dont feel any different irrispective of what bike and what suspension you have ...meaning they still move like feck undernieth you and its then about dealing with it .....
same old quandry how do get expiriance without expiriance ? you dont

get some basic training and then its saddle time that really counts the most i guess ...good armour body hips knees ... you will fall ..probaly many times to start with . ironically in this daft game the fear of falling often causes the fall and getting to the point to put your eys
where you want to go and trusting the bike to go there is not very easy to do at first for sure as your road expiriance screams slow down or even stop when it looks dangerous and that can be very counter productive when theres no tar undernieth the wheels

.once you get ok on trails then you may ant to do some sand stuff which is different for sure .thinking marroco
...im not a particularly good rider in truth but with some basic trail skills and some basic dos and donts i can usually muddle through and you learn somtimes by mistakes ..as is life i guess ..somtime everything will say slow down when what you really need to do is speed up it not that easy to break that mind set and takes a leap of faith here and there to break the barrier
you will hear lads say when in doubt gas it ....and that isnt always the case for sure ..hard to know when that advice is good or bad without saddle time :shock:
stall on a steep slippy up hill and your road brain will tell you to pull the clutch in ...after doing that maby once or twice you will find you will slide gracfully backwards with increasing speed and bin yourself and the whole rig with it .once that lessons learned you learn to dump it and leave it and the rear wheel digs in and you can then practice your hill starts on loose rubble usually rsulting in the rear going sideways instead of forwards :D ....the joy of it all :mrgreen:
....same thing in a river if you know your tipping over dump clutch stall bike and kill engine before it goes under
my real point being is not to tell you here but to point out that all this stuff is what you will sign up to on a course probably with some practical riding tests thrown in a safer envirment to progress and indeed feck em up in .
it woldnt be a unreasonble suggestion at this stage to say try not to trail ride on your own ..just incase it goes a bit too wrong

i wish you well ......im not really wanting to say much more except good luck and i hope ita ll goes well 8-)
whats the wether forcast ..wheres me map
adventure steele

Post by adventure steele »

Cheers mate good tips an good advice :) I think I gave a bit of a better account of myself today watching the video back after editing (currently uploading at the moment) seemed a bit more confident in what I was doing which was good, had to have another crack as I wasn't to happy with the riding the other day, didn't actually intend to go all the way along the lane today figuring it was super near fox hole at the beginning if I had a miss hap least I could get a drink while I waited for dad to bring tools lol, but I just kept doing a bit more an a bit more an then asked a walker how much till the end an he was like just through that gate mate an ur pretty much there :D

As you say mate we all have to start somewhere an I forget that sometimes especially having done track stuff that it's a different ball park, n alot is opposite body position etc, It's amazing how much is mind over matter as you say just getting used to what the bikes doing, I did have armour on under the Klim stuff but I'm gonna get an adventure spec super shirt and some better knee armour for when I start doing more green lanes, was heckin hot in the badlands gear even with the vents open. Nothing to do with me wearing thermals though honest :lol:

Yep gonna have a nosey at some training at some point before I go doing anything more difficult as it's something dad an I can do together I hate groups bit of a hang over thing from when I was bullied so will probably look around at some 2- 1 instruction for us. Felt very comfortable today main thing was my fitness so did a section had a break did a section etc which gave me a chance to nosey at which line to take.

Soon as we've got this move done can sort dad a bike out an we can get some training together an start getting the practice in.

It's actually interesting watching the difference from yesterdays video to today's. Funny you should mention hills haha had to do a hill start today on some loose rocks, kept it in 1st foot on the rear brake soon as she started brake off an went for it had more of a judge of the bikes capability by that point, had watched a video on turning round on one but felt confident enough to restart and go for it, I noticed when I picked the pace up a bit it stopped ping ponging off stuff and was so so so much fun to ride, was clearing bit's with bigger obstacles easier than at the start of the green lane as the suspension was doing it's job.

Next step now is to get the last 300 miles on today and tomorrow, then get her booked in for a service later in the week was told it'd only be about £60 quid or so, makes sense to keep the warranty with the longer service intervals.

Look forward to sharing the new clip with you all when it uploads, its funny because you can start seeing from being at the same point as yesterday to the confidence coming min by min then a few funny bit's looking at the guide on the phone.

I'm glad I gave it a whirl today though again as it felt wrong trying to judge the bikes capability just on the road, really impressed me today just how capable the rally is once I got a handle on the ground clearance an stuff with me on it it never felt out of it's depth.
adventure steele

Hi everyone hope we are all well, in todays video I managed to complete my first Green lane on my Honda CRF 300 Rally :) I'm a total beginner at green laning an it's been really interesting having a go.

I went to Houndkirk Moor again where I'd tried a tiny section from Foxhole through the first 2 gates, everything in my mind was screaming what's this when the bike was moving about after years spent road riding.

Firstly I rode to the other end of the trail on the road to have a little look and having a walk up a bit after two packs of enduro bikes came down I actually got a bit nervous to the point I thought is this even what I want to be doing, it's amazing how doubts and things can creep in. I decided to just relax for a bit and just collect myself then rode back to the foxhole end as I'd already muddled my way through the first bit of that the day before.

After a few moments talking to myself in my mind I set off an did a bit more and a bit more doing a small section then having a break while having a little look at what line to take, so I didn't get to tired and completed another bit an another bit then I was at the view point an progressed a lil bit more an before I knew it with a little more pace I was going over things rather than ping ponging at slow speed. An before I knew it I was having amazing fun, occasionally the self doubt creeped back in and I'd have a break collect myself and then carry on :) often chatting with walkers and cyclists on the green lane as I was the only one up there by this point.

By the end of it I'd managed my first Green lane not dropped the Rally and feel very optimistic about the future for this sort of riding as its opening up an entire new world of riding. Before the trip to Norway, Iceland and Morocco next year, I'll get some some 2-1 training with dad so we can learn some new skills.

Hopefully doing this video series showing from being very nervous yesterday as your mind is screaming no when the bikes moving around to starting to really enjoy it :) exciting times and I'm looking forward to my next go on one. Gonna order some new barkbusters later on today.

adventure steele

Good day today 300 miles :) to an around Llanberis 10 hours of riding very content with the Rally.

All ran in now to 600 miles so there won't be an update till after the 15th.

Was actually suprising just how smooth it was at 60-70.

Overall very happy with the Rally and the more I'm riding it the more an more I'm enjoying it.

adventure steele

I wanted to wait till I had the full run in miles done to post about what I'm liking and not liking on the Rally so here we go :)

Yesterday marked the end of the run in period on CRF 300 Rally.

To say I'm impressed is a huge understatement the more I've ridden it the more I understand why these have been such a huge success and why they are impossible in the UK and the world to lay your hands on.

A bike that an experienced road/track rider like myself can enjoy riding like a two stroke in a sporting manner on the roads but without the vibes at UK legal speeds. Carrying corner speed and punching out of the bends to.

A motorcycle that as a beginner at off road riding gave me the confidence to complete Houndkirk Moor on my first go an without any drops, riding to and from the green lane on her. It never felt out of its depth, bottomed out etc and built confidence.

A adv that's light weight!!! Compared to the big GS and GSA I had in the past I found the weight difference very noticable to the Himalayan.

A motorcycle that with low power can sit at uk motorways speeds in comfort due to the brilliance of the overdrive 6th

A motorcycle that returns on average 94mpg no matter the riding conditions.

A motorcycle that has a fun and sporting engine while being stunningly smooth for a single.

A motorcycle that has in my opinion stunning looks and a brilliant headlight and a dash that doesn't fill with condensation.

A motorcycle that did 300 miles and 10 hours of riding yesterday around Wales as a Road adv and never felt lacking and I feel fresh the next day. This was the final test ìn my mind to see if it would cover all the riding I like to do.

A Honda with Honda reliability no issues to report so far.

All in all a motorcycle that is the perfect partner for my current travel plans.

What would I like to see Honda improve, 👀 a couple of things really that have been well covered from others I think if it came with a comfier seat more people would utterly fall in love with it as it's actually a nice road adv apart from that that in many senses is a true adventure bike in the fact it can go down any track you spot.

Finally the suspension I'd keep the seat Height where it is with rider sag and its still got more than enough ground clearance etc and that would make it accessible to more people with better dampening would truly transform it for putting luggage on from the get go.

My plan to address these things when I'm able is rallyraidproducts
Level one Suspension which does exactly as described.

An with the seat a seatconcepts
Comfort or Comfort XL undecided on which one.

In closing to say I'm impressed is an understatement, Content. I could only imagine how good a 350 would be still one of my favourite cc's

They might not be for everyone but for me I'm very happy with it, am I curious about other bikes, yep the T7 but at the moment for my level of off road skills and especially with my shoulder injury the 300 Rally is the right partner as its so so manageable to ride and move around due to its light weight.

Videos I reckon are well worth a watch on the Honda, Nathan Millward's videos on his nathanthepostman channel really good n no nonsense 👍 an Dave Darcy an Clubby Motorcycle adventure dirtbike tv. The series on those are superb especially interesting was the interview with John from Rally Raid.
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

I hear what you say about training/riding with strangers, but it might be worth you going on one of these Red Riding Days

https://www.trailrides-wales.com/events.html

Not formal training as such, but a guided ride in good company with people on similar bikes and with similar experience.
adventure steele

Thanks Richard I'll have a look at that :)
nathanm

Post by nathanm »

Seconded about Marianne at Trail Ride Wales. I hear only good things about her. That's where I'd be heading.
adventure steele

Thanks for the recommendation Nathan I'll check there stuff out :)
Hugh

Post by Hugh »

Greetings,

I can personally thoroughly recommend Bob at Adventure Ride https://www.adventureride.co.uk

More local to you for trials type training there is https://www.trials-school.co.uk

TTFN

Hugh.

Return to “WE LOVE PICS”