Crf 300 Rally - The Adventure Begins

Post up pics of you and your bike. A place for members to get all arty farty, creative and, er, post up snaps.
adventure steele

Re: Crf 300 Rally - The Adventure Begins

Post by adventure steele »

Thought this might be of interest to anyone thinking about the Rally Raid Level 1 rear shock with HPA and shorter side stand.

Been really impressed with it in the video I covered trail riding down two green lanes in the peaks trail riding is really new to me and I'm massively enjoying the learning process although I've done lots of road based adv, and track riding and ride year round + the absolute huge difference it made to road riding :)

Very happy with it an can only imagine how good itd be with the forks to.

It's coming along nice for our planned Iceland / Norway trip I've also had a bit of a chat about some exciting personal news with moving to Scotland in about 8 weeks an how that's gonna influence bike choice and what could possibly be coming to sit next to the Rally

Anyway hope you all enjoy the video :)

adventure steele

Hi everyone thought I'd do a lil video talking about why I'm considering letting my 300 Rally go and moving back to larger ADVs. This I'd supplemented by the text below.

Earlier in the year :) after selling my 1200gs te Rallye (personal reasons) for a Himalayan an some funds my way then the Himalayan being rejected with safety issues at 500 miles for a Refund I picked up a Honda CRF 300 Rally got so lucky finding it as it was a canceled order a friend of mine is still waiting for his 300 o.o with the intention of going green laning which I thought would be best to try on a lighter bike which was 100% the right move :)

At the same time we were planning on moving to Devon which then changed very recently to Scotland which puts me about 7 hours away from any lanes, which also coinspired with the change in my thoughts on what I enjoy lane wise and riding wise realising I much prefer the travel aspect off my riding a little bit of light green laning on easy gravel trails which with dad an I both on bikes again we could do easily together an mainly crunching the big mile days and seeing new places on mainly Tarmac, as Trail riding isn't quite my thing.

I think in life you never know what you like until you experience it, it's like looking at a map reading the names of the places but not really knowing what they are like :)

Anyways I hope you enjoyed my little video on my thoughts while riding around the Peak District, if I was sticking with 50/50 riding would I stick with the Rally yes of course, really nice to get to the lanes on an will overtake at legal motorway speeds on the motorway (lil clip in the footage on a bypass)

For me now though with the move to Scotland it's back to a BMW GSA again not everyone's idea of an adventure mount I know but they fit my needs wants an desires motorcycle wise an thats what it's all about ultimately having fun an riding what type of riding and motorcycles you enjoy no right or wrong for anyone.

Thanks to everyone thats put input in on bike choice in the other thread :)

Onenoodles

Post by Onenoodles »

I have always had god knows how many bikes over many years ... sometimes I have swapped after just a few weeks (I might be about to do so again :lol: ) ... whilst its often financially barmy ... I just love trying different bikes, I love most bikes ... I have gone from a ZZR14 to a C90 because I saw a bloke touring on one and it looked fun ... it hurts nobody and nobody's business but one's own.
When you are wired up like we are then its always so easy to miss off roading, then miss long distance, then miss showboating at the local meet on a streetfighter, then miss Euro trips, then miss wild camping up Welsh tracks and on and on and on we go :D and its almost impossible to settle.

You want to go back to larger cc and for distance and I get it 100% ... I did Italy and the high passes on an XT660z (love them) but got back decided that I wanted more comfort next time ... just got back today from the Black Forest on a lovely R1150GS that I bought recently with only 23000 on it ... what a lovely, lovely bike to ride on those sweepy, alpine type roads, so well balanced, has a personality and so comfy ... am I happy? no not really as on reflection I had more pleasure last year doing days out in Wales on tracks and green lanes and with the odd wild camp.

So now ... thats where I am at ... I am pretty certain I am done with the Euro trips (done loads over the years) and I can be in mid-Wales in an hour and half from where I live so going to look to swap out the lovely R1150GS and get something like the Honda Rally or maybe another XT660z? ... if the Himmy did not appear to need to have practically every part of it swapped for mods then I would have probably had one of those.

Anyway ... have what you want mate, its your dosh and your life ... do what makes you happy, we are not here long enough to worry about it.

PS ... if anyone wants a really nice Bemmer ;)
Attachments
20230420_164025.jpg
20230420_164025.jpg (162.5 KiB) Viewed 2303 times
adventure steele

Thanks mate :) cracking comment an yep its cool to try new stuff I just decided to do a really long winded reply to a comment on the actual vid on YouTube where someone hadn't watched the video in full lol.

The Rally I found epic for what I got it for needed better suspension in my opinion n the rear shock as others said it would sorted that.

It looks like it's sold already without me even getting f round to putting it on ebay, will see what happens in the daytime.

I think that's the really interesting thing with adventure motorcycling there's many different aspects an we only know what we like when we give it a whirl like us both going in opposite directions.

Exciting times ahead, plan is now for an 1150gsa factory none abs been a bucket list bike for me so decided to do it, then after the move when I'm in a better position I'm gonna get a lc boxer again either a 1200 or 1250. Once the moves settled an dad will probably follow suit so well. The 800de does look interesting though so many possibilities :)
Tonibe63

Post by Tonibe63 »

Amen to your bike changing ethos Onenoodles, buy the bike you want for the job you want it to do, don't pin your shirt on a bike for 3 years and then find a job to suit the bike.
Adventuresteel at the moment you need a bike to munch the miles in comfort and carry some stuff so buy a bike to suit that need, regardless of the tank badge. Then when it's done that job review what you need for the next trip/job.
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.
adventure steele

Indeed Tonibe :) the Rally sold this morning just on the way back from dropping it off hunt for an 1150gsa begins now :) with the fall back of a vstrom 650xt as a backup if no good ones turn up. The 1150s deffo on the long term list of classics I want to get.

FInal thought's brilliant bike for what I bought it for trail riding now it's time for something else.

Return to “WE LOVE PICS”