Vehicle registration and insurance warning.

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
Treadtrader

Vehicle registration and insurance warning.

Post by Treadtrader »

I've just had to post a £50.00 cheque off to the DVLA.
This is a fine for having no insurance on the bike I exchanged for my current steed on 17/04/2011. :evil:

The story goes, I exchanged my V-Strom for my current BMW in April with a dealer.
The BMW was delivered to me and they collected the Strom.
All paperwork was completed at the time.

When a bike is sold into the trade a portion of the V5c is sent off to the DVLA by the keeper(me), then a letter comes back from the DVLA as an acknowledgement.

Now, I never noticed that letter had'nt come to me, so months later I have recieved a fine?
I returned this to the DVLA with a copy of the bike reciept as proof I had sold the bike, no good, they will only accept their acknowledgment letter as proof.

So, because an item either went missing in the post or the DVLA I'm now £50 worse off. :evil:

I have no idea why months after I transfered the insurance I get fined now.

So be careful to check you recieve that letter when you sell your bike or car.

Pi55 well and truly boiled.
Contact email [email protected] or pm.
The Wilbur

Re: Vehicle registration and insurance warning.

Post by The Wilbur »

Was a piece on Watchdog last week about similar fines for not renewing SORN, with the missing acknowledgement letters resulting in £80 fines.

So think yourself lucky that yours was only £50.

:whistle:
SUCK : SQUEEZE : BANG : BLOW

www.f650.co.uk
Treadtrader

Post by Treadtrader »

The Wilbur wrote:Was a piece on Watchdog last week about similar fines for not renewing SORN, with the missing acknowledgement letters resulting in £80 fines.

So think yourself lucky that yours was only £50.

:whistle:
The fine is £100 but discounts if paid early.

And no, I don't feel lucky. :blink:
Gas_Up_Lets_Go

Post by Gas_Up_Lets_Go »

Treadtrader wrote:So, because an item either went missing in the post or the DVLA I'm now £50 worse off. :evil:
Happened to my missis a couple of years ago. DESPITE us having a POD from the Post office that they had recieved the notification AND being in the same envelope that the cherished plate documents were in, (which were all in-order and dealt with).

We've a DVLA office here, so when I changed my motor at the begining of the year I took the documents to them and had then sign a recipt, which they were unsure about untill I pressed them.
Mistakes are natures way of showing us we have more to learn
Jelly

Post by Jelly »

DVLA is a typical government dept, full of jobsworth nazis. Image
"The distant echo of faraway voices boarding far away trains,

To take them home to the ones that they love and who love them forever......."
Alun

Post by Alun »

If Guy Fawlks had worn Hush Puppies the mobs that run this country would think twice about imposing penal taxes like this.
magicroundabout

Post by magicroundabout »

The oucome on watchdog was that a judge had said it was not lawfull to expect the driver to expect an acknowledge the onus was on the DVLA so fight it.
phillh

Post by phillh »

The pendulum has swung too far the other way yet again. This legislation was introduced to reduce the number of vehicles that do not have owners details registered with the DVLA (so they can fine them for something else no doubt). It appears the DVLA have identified this as another source of revenue from law abiding motorists to cover its own(the DVLA's) inability to process paperwork efficiently.

Write a formal letter of complaint to the head of the DVLA marked 'private, to be opened by addressee only' This is not what the legislation was intended for and each case should be considered on its own merits.

Makes my blood boil
Smokey Dan

Post by Smokey Dan »

I've had a similar experience with the DVLA, with regards to a car that was scrapped. I filled in the form and sent it off. I can't remember receiving the acknowledgement letter, but I did receive an £80 fine in the post, along with a form to fill in to say why it hadn't been taxed or sorn'd.

I wrote back to them explaining that it had been scrapped and that I posted the form off to tell them. They wrote back claiming they hadn't received it and the fine still stands.

I haven't paid it and after 6 letters from 3 different firms chasing me for money, it has gone quiet. There correspondence has always only given me the option to make a payment. As I don't believe I'm at fault, my only option is for them to take me to court and have my case heard by someone who will at least listen to both sides and make a fair judgement.

I will let you all know how it goes :)
Treadtrader

Post by Treadtrader »

Smokey Dan wrote:
I will let you all know how it goes :)
My initial response was to do the same.
I can prove I sold the bike and have'nt commited any offence of operating a vehicle without insurance.
Decided it was all too much efort and paid up. :pinch:
Interestingly, it is'nt possible to talk to anyone at the enforcement centre, can only be done by letter!

Return to “THE PUB”