crf250 Rally

The Things We Ride
garyboy

Re: crf250 Rally

Post by garyboy »

Yes, Minky ... I've seen that
Mine says 110, but I just checked my order and I definitely ordered the 100. Looks like my shocker was the last one .. but not sure if it's the last 110, or the last shock of their current stock.

I mean .. perhaps they are Out of the 100 code shocks?

That little printed code on the spring is causing a lot of fret, lol.
Last edited by garyboy on Sat Dec 09, 2023 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

I've sent an email to wizbiz, the seller.. and also phoned, with no reply. Asking for advice on 100/110.
I expect this was their last shock of the yss mz456 and they just sent it anway. It's now listed as Out of Stock.
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

I don't mind a stiffer shorter spring, as I'm fed up of the bouncy Lean when parking.
As long as its not bashing into potholes and stones.
Won't really know till fitted, I presume.

PS .. my ebay order is for a 75 to 95nm spring, and the code for the spring is 56 100 215
This code, now, is 56 110 215 .. so I'm wondering about how the 100 or110 relates to spring rate actually.. if you see what I mean.

I'll probably end up just fitting this shock.

Come to think of it.. there seems to be a 20nm range anyway, in the spring rate,(75nm-95nm), so maybe? the 110 code can go down to 90nm ?? as well as 110.. if that makes sense. and possibly 85, as there is 5 difference between the 95nm and 100 code. ?
So maybe the 110 code spring for the L is actually 85-105nm?

........ just thinking aloud .......

Xxxxxx
EDIT.....,.... I just watched a video on you tube and the guy reckons , Yes .. the heavier of the two available yss 'L' shocks is indeed 85-105nm.
Xxxxxxxx

(The other available shock for the crf250L would be too weak for my weight, at less than 85nm).
Last edited by garyboy on Sun Dec 10, 2023 6:49 am, edited 4 times in total.
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

I re-read Minky's post, and now get the significance of a shorter shock in a longer run of action. So I'm thinking of lengthening the spring run action to the full 215mm, simply by unwinding the preload spring to maximum.. so gaining 23mm of spring action compared to it's set given on delivery. I know this will also lower the rear of the bike, which is good, for me.

Will the bike rear be lowered by 23mm, or a set fraction of this?
Actually, it would be the seat that's lowered, and the rear even more.

So, spring at maximum unwind ..
and the rebound ? .. mid or full on, for max rebound dampening?

(I do tend to Overthink everything lol)
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

Well, I had a reply off wizbiz on ebay .. Kevin says there are 9 spring rates available for this shock and the one sent me is the lowest, for a lightweight rider of 75-95kg... ?????
I'll keep it anyway, as It looks like it will be ok for my weight of 90kg.
minkyhead

Post by minkyhead »

lenthening the spring wont effect the spring rate at all ..it will of course effect the ride height ..you need to aim for the sag to be nearer the top of the stroke
be carful gary what u do here i know one way or the other that one of the shocks fouls and doesnt work

what i would do and is eesential inmy mind if your determined is remove the spring and fit the shock with just the piston and then operate the rear swingarm by hand to examine the linkages the shock and the rear tyre clerance ..thats the only way id approach it otherwise you just guessing and if anything fouls or snags under there in operation theres going to be some damage for sure

25mm is a big ask in reduced shock length ..if you look at the bikes likages you willsee one inch shorter is going dratically alter everything on those tri links and must alter the centre point of the shock mount ...it may hit the swingarm i dunno theres no room for guesswork gary cos it could go very wrong if summet doesnt clear
your going to remove a lot of swingarm travel at the bootm end and cos of the stroke of the shock starting in a different height increase it at the top end for sure

when i used the adjustable height threads up 5mm on the road bike the rideheight went up 15mm and the swingarm is not as long by far ..? so it would follow if 25mm were possible it would be 75mm taller or lower depending on whick way you turned the threads ..there is obvuisly a reason they only allow 5mm either way as the swinarm would be out of its stroke range and foul at th bottom againt the chassis or try and exit the rear wheel through the seat pan ...be careful

if your stuck proper stuck if you take a ride up to sunny southport ill put it up on the bench and test it for clearance with you and help you check it out ...personally fitting aside i think to operate the shock as its meant to work on the rally you will need them 250L links
whats the wether forcast ..wheres me map
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

Thank you, Minky, for your very kind offer of assistance, and of course, your valuable advice and insight is always much appreciated. 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)

I can see I'm going to have to be careful, and take the fitting step by step. :? :shock: :)

Good to have your expert backup, though
Tramp

Post by Tramp »

On the yss 456 shock the rebound adjuster at bottom has 30 clicks...wind it fully up counting the clicks ..write this down ...same when you adjust the preload count hiw many full revolutions you unwind, mark the grub screw as there are 2x positions lol....now set rebound at half way open 15 clicks....I like a fast rebound and have mine at 22 open from closed...the rebound really effects the bounce lol...its a personal preference ..

And Minky is correct as always on lower shock fowling ...
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

Cheers, Tramp .. good information there 8-) 8-) 8-)
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

Concerning the lower shock fouling .. I just remembered that when I drilled holes to the shock base, I followed internet instructions and offset the 2 x 10mm on the bottom fork fitting, by 5 mm.

This was probably to alleviate the problem that Minky has identified.
Those of sensitive disposition, do not read the following sentence..
( I may do the same with my beautiful new expensive yss shock)
SEE .. I told you not to read it, lol.

Also, remember, I have that shock lowering adjustment Plus a lowering link on my OEM shock at present. It's low, but I can't feel any rubbing or anything. I wasn't worried about breaking the OEM shock, as it's horrendous anyway. I may be a bit more concerned with the yss one though. That is why I am taking very careful note of all comments. .. and, Thank you all respondents 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)

Return to “BIKES”