crf250 Rally

The Things We Ride
Asgard

Re: crf250 Rally

Post by Asgard »

Apologies in advance if I havn't got the full jist of this Gary...but is it possible to simply take the spring and bottom out bumper off the new shock...bolt it up as is and see if anything fouls?, first with back wheel off ground to check full expension then carefully let the weight of the bike on till shock bottoms out?

Just a thought
Its a trick............get an Axe
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

Yes, Asgard, I found this out just last night, on a youTube video.
Never seen that before, or even thought of it, as the OEM shock looks impossible to do, at least without great hassle.
On YouTube, it seems the top? can be screwed out and the spring and spring washer removed.
It didn't show it done though, so not sure about spring compression, ie , if needed a press? or just simply unscrew.
I saw another video of the retaining washer being turned to where the washer gap is, using a press come to think of it, then removal.
I'll have to research later.
But I was thinking along the same lines as you ... Either remove spring or just leave one end of the full shock unattached and test for full movement in position.
Wot could possibly go wrong .. :? :)
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

checked on YouTube.. the spring comes out really easily. It comes out from the bottom. Place upside down and Press, Slip out slot-cut ring.

so .. is an option to test unobstructed spring tevel in situ.
However, I may just slacken preload spring, and Fit?

then test for obstructions by ratcheting up the swing arm,
Scott_rider

Post by Scott_rider »

Depending on how many bolts and how long it takes, I reckon I'd fit the shock fully assembled just to see if it fouls anything and then take it off again to do the final adjustments (if they are needed).
Of course, that's easy for me to say...a 30 minute job usually takes me 2 hours... :oops: :lol: .
Suzuki GSX-S1000F...the KTM 450 EXC-R has gone
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

Yes, Scott, I think I'll do that. The weather is too much though at the moment. as I have to work outside.
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

yss suspension site

(500.1.05) MZ456-395TR-21-85 - Enduro 75-95 KG ..(this on the box too)

Original YSS shock absorber. This shock absorber was specificly developed for the motorcycle model it is listed for, therefore all mountings are fit to the standard bike. If this is a fork at...
Product number

€ 461,01
Price per unit

..............................................................................................................................................

ahh .. just found this .. on the yss suspension site ( www.ysssuspension.com )

so.. it.. IS.. 75-95 kg

this was my main concern, the weight rating ..... as i am sure it can be fitted somehow (somehow, lol)

come On weather ... get real ,.. lol
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

Happy Christmas, everyone.

Seeing as I live (happily) alone, I made a santa sack outside my flat door. The door is very flat, and I've put a spyhole in it to spot santa delivering my (ebay) presents, lol. They are not really for me .. they are for my beautiful CRF250rally ...

Already (recently) arrived; YSS rear shock, lowering link, mousses and tyres, tail tidy, ..

(Not to mention previous, heated grips, hand guards, USB port, tank bag, rear rack, ) ..

and now awaiting some cheap pannier racks, 42T rear sprocket, .. and cheap helmet cam.

I've never seen my bike so happy, lol. .. ((And all cheapy Internet stuff ))

Hope all your bikes have a Happy Xmas too.
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

actually started thinking about the clutch plate replacement.

Imagec1 by gary boy, on Flickr

.. well ... I have been thinking about it for weeks, but weather, aching joints, xmas bloat etc has delayed me. lol.

took me a few hours to set up the bike, find tools, take off fairing, clean the clutch side area.

I might even get to continue it sometime next year, lol.
Asgard

Post by Asgard »

Seasons Greets Gary, I gave my husky it presents early (valve shims, spark plugs, oil change, Air filter) and only had one ride since as the weather has been consistently fecking orrible ... Ithink ive had maybe four dry days in the last 2 months its getting silly now
Its a trick............get an Axe
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

Absolutely, Asgard .. the bad weather makes Everything more difficult. I'm trying to be positive but morale is struggling.
Even so, I am very excited for next year .. getting poor crf up to scratch, and looking forward to some great biking.
Wishing you the Best for next year
Keep the old pecker up, and
Have a great New Year

Return to “BIKES”