crf250 Rally

The Things We Ride
garyboy

Re: crf250 Rally

Post by garyboy »

Imagec2 by gary boy, on Flickr

next step (slow but sure lol)
The bits came off ok.. much easier than I remember on the `L` crf250.
the oil was surprisingly dirty for about 6000 miles. and there seemed to be a small amount of it, compared to my memory of the `L` ?? but that could me just me? I will be using a cheap Halfords oil that is over 10 years old. Nothing but the best eh?
But at least I bought a new oil filter .. the old one was surprisingly dirty for less than 6000 miles? .. and I shall replace the oil with fresh stuff after a while.

when i did the `L` there were bits falling out everywhere, which made things harder than they should have been, but this time the dowels and balls bearing thing seemed to have stayed on place, though it was difficult to see as it was getting low light outside due to the storm brewing, and my torch was just blinding, with the cold Welsh rain spattering my back, under my (partly flooded) bike tent, lol.

I was sure i could re-use the gaskets, as i had with the `L` but the Rally ones just ripped off. I will use my old unused `new` `L` ones, which can't be much more than 8 years old.

The friction plates looked superficially ok but the silly slipper one was quite worn, as expected.
Imagec3 by gary boy, on Flickr

I put some oil on the friction plates and put them in a plastic bag, ready to fit. I've got to get that slipper ring out too. tooth pick found, and ready.
.. to be continued.. hopefully.
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

new friction plates in...

Imagec4 by gary boy, on Flickr

side cover faces cleaned, new gaskets, new ebc springs, pressure plate refitted, side cover fitted.
Asgard

Post by Asgard »

Those steel plates look overheated to feck Gary :shock:
Are they still flat?
Also Signs of local overheating of the clutch basket evidenced by the baked on oil residue...that oil is buggered matey put fresh in

edit..oh sorry mate saw you are changing it I miss-read that bit :oops:
Its a trick............get an Axe
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

the plates were black, but seemed ok. .. they're In now anyway. seemed nice and flat ... I know i didn't abuse the clutch enough to damage anything .. just wear from that slipper friction disc,. I was riding very sensible tbh.

The oil yes .. I would have used the old oil but it was way too black lol.

I didn't release the radiator cap .. why? when it is holding the coolant back, so les to buy.
Its quite difficult to buy coolant. it seems. Halfords don't really do it, unless Swansea trip is appealing. Ebay and Amazon seem to make a big thing of coolant. Expensive and costly delivery.
I 'll probably get a gallon, to arrive by friday.

The Rally cover etc is much easier to put together than the `L` for some reason.
The torque setting id 20nm.. (edit .. 12nm at most... probably more like 9nm but with a small tweak extra.. [hope i not screwed anything, o dear, lol] ) .. but that seems far too strong/ so did it by hand guess.
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

Imageyss1 by gary boy, on Flickr

Imageyss2 by gary boy, on Flickr

well ... it was easy .. and it worked.

old oem shock came out surprisingly easy ,, the nuts were loose .. I mean, not super tight.
the new yss shock just flew in ... no problems ... apart from wasting an hour looking for a dropped nut.
No rubbing anywhere.
Still soft suspension, but not silly soft anymore.
Seat is even lower now ... YaY .. I can flat foot easily now, and getting on and off is a dawdle ... can't believe it.
Handles better ... can't feel the rear end ... which is good.
The front feels unstable, so will need adjusting, I expect... maybe lowering a bit.... but I don't think there is cable slack ...
will look tomorrow now.

O, I forgot .. I unwound the new spring .. from 23mm to 16mm of thread showing on the body. So is 7mm lowerthan as supplied. This was to get as much lowness as possible, but i Couldn't go the full unwind, as the spring would rattle. Seems ok.

The side stand is still a bit too saggy, but i dont want to preload at all, as it seems fine as is.
I haven't set sag .. seems fine as is. I want to keep low seat height anyway.

{{ recap ..... this is fitting a 2016 crf250L yss shock, to a 2019 crf250Rally.)) to lower seat height .. and improve rear suspension.

PS ..... the new shock absorber was easy to fit, as I had previously cut an access hole into the plastic battery holder. Enough to get a 17mm socket and extension in.
The other side had a 14mm socket and extension,. to the bolts at the top of shock. This saves the faf with a 17mm spanner.

PPS ... it was luck that the shocker did not bind. A 5mm offset to the bottom shock bracket fork would have helped the tight situation, but ....
Scott_rider

Post by Scott_rider »

Nice one 8-)
Suzuki GSX-S1000F...the KTM 450 EXC-R has gone
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

Cheers Scott. :) 8-)

The front forks slipped through the triple clamps easily.
I'm getting used to this, lol. .. (( (the 'L' I had was limited in slide available on fork adjustment. But the Rally is unlimited. ) .. 50mm showing at top of clamps .. lol. Can't wait to try. ))
Not tried the adjusted forks yet .. gagging for the ride, .. waiting for parcels atm, lol.
Everything seems ok.. maybe the oil level is a tad high, but keeping it viewed.
Just the side fairings to screw back on, and kodama bash plate refitted.
Too cold atm, tbh, for me.

Return to “BIKES”