When this is over. Where are you taking your bike?

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
flamair

Re: When this is over. Where are you taking your bike?

Post by flamair »

Testing isn't an option either really. At least, for it to be effective you'd have to test 67 million people several times a day to be certain they didn't have it.

Tracing is a nice idea in theory. But in practice it will just promote the fear hysteria currently reigning supreme.... Misinformation and technical issues will be ten a penny.

Eventually the penny will drop that we just need to get on with it. Keep the high risk folk at home with proper support in place.
And let everyone else crack on.

It might not be ideal, but it's the only solution that won't result in full economic breakdown which will make Covid seem irrelevant.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Remember, you're unique!

(Just like everyone else)
Magnon

Post by Magnon »

I really can’t see the benefit of testing unless the result is virtually instantaneous and those who need to can take two or three a day.

You have to wonder if lockdown/social distancing is working. Even with a potential incubation period of up to 14 days surely we should have seen a dramatic drop in infections by now.

I’ve no idea what the answer is but agree that there will come a point where we just have to carry on and live with virus in the background.
spangle

Post by spangle »

Testing & tracing has worked fine in countries with fewer deaths. It seems their objective is to save lives whereas ours is to save money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Asgard

Post by Asgard »

Magnon wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:35 pm I really can’t see the benefit of testing unless the result is virtually instantaneous and those who need to can take two or three a day.
It allows targeted measures and gives indications as to what measures are working.
Magnon wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:35 pmYou have to wonder if lockdown/social distancing is working. Even with a potential incubation period of up to 14 days surely we should have seen a dramatic drop in infections by now.
If everybody followed the advice (or been forced to) we probably would have (see China)
Magnon wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:35 pm I’ve no idea what the answer is but agree that there will come a point where we just have to carry on and live with virus in the background.
I sort of agree, but I doubt very much that the virus will be in the background I think hundreds of thousands will die, mainly old/chronicly ill so the fit and young will still be able to re-build, this might be a good thing ultimately but we have to face that fact

Alternatively It could of course mutate and kill almost everyone or we could get a vaccine, I doubt either of these two scenarios is realsitic.
Its a trick............get an Axe
DavidS

Post by DavidS »

Lockdown (with social distancing) is really only to try and limit the numbers contracting it at any one time so the NHS isn’t overwhelmed.
A by product is that the transfer rate is slowed down so there is, hopefully, a natural reduction in numbers contracting it. They want to get substantially below one person transferring to one other. I think without social distancing it would be an astronomical transfer rate...only any good if you want everyone to get it.

The daily briefings on BBC1 are very interesting but I switch off as soon as the moronic negative seeking journalists start asking their stupid questions that no-one in their right mind would answer.

I agree that I don’t see a great value in testing as it is like an MOT, only valid at that moment but you could have caught it from anyone two minutes earlier or later.
2023 Husqvarna Norden 901
2014 KTM 690 ENDURO R
flamair

Post by flamair »

DavidS wrote:Lockdown (with social distancing) is really only to try and limit the numbers contracting it at any one time so the NHS isn’t overwhelmed.
A by product is that the transfer rate is slowed down so there is, hopefully, a natural reduction in numbers contracting it. They want to get substantially below one person transferring to one other. I think without social distancing it would be an astronomical transfer rate...only any good if you want everyone to get it.

The daily briefings on BBC1 are very interesting but I switch off as soon as the moronic negative seeking journalists start asking their stupid questions that no-one in their right mind would answer.

I agree that I don’t see a great value in testing as it is like an MOT, only valid at that moment but you could have caught it from anyone two minutes earlier or later.
Totally agree about the MOT comment..

The testing thing is more psychological than anything. People's confidence would improve thinking that those around were tested..But, how soon after infection does the test show positive? And is that timescale identical for everyone no matter what their age and physical condition?
And finally, having been tested negatively at 10am and then riding on a bus for 20 mins, can you be sure you're still negative?
You'd have to retest people several times a day x 60 odd million.

It's of use only for front line workers in all honesty.

In short, the time will come when chances have to be taken. There is only an effective treatment or vaccine as an alternative. And they may take decades to find.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Remember, you're unique!

(Just like everyone else)
Snaf MKII

Post by Snaf MKII »

Cornwall, North Devon then Scotland. There's a six week old BMW with 22 miles on the clock that needs running in :-)
spangle

Post by spangle »

DavidS wrote: I agree that I don’t see a great value in testing as it is like an MOT, only valid at that moment but you could have caught it from anyone two minutes earlier or later.
Regular testing of NHS staff would allow them to be withdrawn & treated themselves rather than infecting patients & family members, and in too many cases, dying.

DavidS

Post by DavidS »

spangle wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 5:59 pm
DavidS wrote: I agree that I don’t see a great value in testing as it is like an MOT, only valid at that moment but you could have caught it from anyone two minutes earlier or later.
Regular testing of NHS staff would allow them to be withdrawn & treated themselves rather than infecting patients & family members, and in too many cases, dying.

Agreed but there is no telling what happens away from work. It would have to be at least a test every time they turn up for work. Is that feasible? It distresses me that they have to go to work with that uncertainty. It has always seemed odd that nursing staff wear their work clothes to and fro, which surely lays them open to risk. Should they not have always changed at the hospital or wherever?
I accept that, to a certain extent, something is better than nothing but only if it has day to day value.
2023 Husqvarna Norden 901
2014 KTM 690 ENDURO R
Magnon

Post by Magnon »

I find the media playing up the ‘who's fault is it’ discussion instead of trying to move matters forward very annoying.

It seems that we don’t know a lot about the virus:

Why are some people asymptomatic whereas others develop much worse symptoms?

Does social distancing work?

Are people immune after having the virus? And for how long?

Do masks work, for the general public, or are they a liability?

As I said, I had the virus when I returned from Spain, my wife had very mild symptoms. I’ve not been within 2/3 metres of anyone since March 10th apart from my wife and the Gendarme who stopped me on my way to work. I think applied common sense is a large part of the solution to this problem.

Return to “TRAVEL”