Yamaha T7 review/insight

The Things We Ride
User avatar
Monster
Posts: 612
Joined: Sun Jul 03, 2011 8:33 pm
Has thanked: 17 times
Been thanked: 47 times

Re: Yamaha T7 review/insight

Post by Monster » Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:06 pm

Fair point on the 990 MPG
She has a mighty thirst for fuel
Nearly came unstuck in Northumberland one Bank Holiday
If a Hammer don't fix it - you have an electrical problem

Adventure Bike Rider New Issue Out Now
User avatar
Monster
Posts: 612
Joined: Sun Jul 03, 2011 8:33 pm
Has thanked: 17 times
Been thanked: 47 times

Re: Yamaha T7 review/insight

Post by Monster » Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:05 pm

OnHellas wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:18 pm
Monster wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:05 pm
Just seems a bit blinkered IMHO
In what way?
He is not looking at any other option.
He has a 1 track mind
He is not thinking about what it would be like to ride the Honda across Spain - time, comfort, fuel stops and an oil change
That’s for starters ....
If a Hammer don't fix it - you have an electrical problem

minkyhead
Posts: 4020
Joined: Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:31 pm
Has thanked: 331 times
Been thanked: 515 times

Re: Yamaha T7 review/insight

Post by minkyhead » Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:33 pm

Monster wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:05 pm
OnHellas wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:18 pm
Monster wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:05 pm
Just seems a bit blinkered IMHO
In what way?
He is not looking at any other option.
He has a 1 track mind
He is not thinking about what it would be like to ride the Honda across Spain - time, comfort, fuel stops and an oil change
That’s for starters ....
mmm i think hes in a fair position to compare as hes already ridden the 450 to marroc and back ...i guess it comes down to what you want to do when you cross over .....theres no doubt that once over there the smaller bikes are way way better at opening doors
there is i think a real fallacy about smaller bikes not being able to tour you really dont get anywhere much quicker on at650 than you do on a 250 maby a extra 15 miles an hour average ... if your lucjky and have open uncluttered duel carriarway anything other than that it really is only a small amount ...id think the 450 will be well up to the job ...
whats the wether forcast ..wheres me map

OnHellas
Posts: 2137
Joined: Sat Oct 18, 2014 2:12 pm
Location: On the road somewhere.
Has thanked: 225 times
Been thanked: 564 times

Re: Yamaha T7 review/insight

Post by OnHellas » Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:19 pm

Monster wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:05 pm
OnHellas wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:18 pm
Monster wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:05 pm
Just seems a bit blinkered IMHO
In what way?
He is not looking at any other option.
He has a 1 track mind
He is not thinking about what it would be like to ride the Honda across Spain - time, comfort, fuel stops and an oil change
That’s for starters ....
But he’s giving us his opinion on a trip that he has done on the 450 Honda and now the Tenere 700.
He reckons that he can cope with the comfort or lack of on the 450......that’s his opinion, not for everyone. Certainly wouldn’t be for me.

Fair point in the oil change situation. Another reason why it wouldn’t be for me.

johnnyboxer
Posts: 7198
Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:53 am
Has thanked: 62 times
Been thanked: 237 times

Re: Yamaha T7 review/insight

Post by johnnyboxer » Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:26 am

Monster wrote:
OnHellas wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:18 pm
Monster wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:05 pm
Just seems a bit blinkered IMHO
In what way?
He is not looking at any other option.
He has a 1 track mind
He is not thinking about what it would be like to ride the Honda across Spain - time, comfort, fuel stops and an oil change
That’s for starters ....
He didn’t change the oil on the 450 Honda last Christmas did he ?
What he says is weight is the enemy, off road and if you put some effort into a compromise, then you will be rewarded

I have met Dave Lomax a few times and he’s an honest sort of bloke - in fact I am seeing him this Weds and will ask him

A 130kg single is better than a 200 kg twin

But then a 75kg Honda 4Ride will go more places than a 110kg KTM 350
We buy things we don't need



With money we don't have



To impress people we don't even like

johnnyboxer
Posts: 7198
Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:53 am
Has thanked: 62 times
Been thanked: 237 times

Re: Yamaha T7 review/insight

Post by johnnyboxer » Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:28 am

OnHellas wrote:
Monster wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:05 pm
OnHellas wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:18 pm
Monster wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:05 pm
Just seems a bit blinkered IMHO
In what way?
He is not looking at any other option.
He has a 1 track mind
He is not thinking about what it would be like to ride the Honda across Spain - time, comfort, fuel stops and an oil change
That’s for starters ....
But he’s giving us his opinion on a trip that he has done on the 450 Honda and now the Tenere 700.
He reckons that he can cope with the comfort or lack of on the 450......that’s his opinion, not for everyone. Certainly wouldn’t be for me.

Fair point in the oil change situation. Another reason why it wouldn’t be for me.
Oil change on the 450 would take 30-40 mins tops

Not a biggie
We buy things we don't need



With money we don't have



To impress people we don't even like

OnHellas
Posts: 2137
Joined: Sat Oct 18, 2014 2:12 pm
Location: On the road somewhere.
Has thanked: 225 times
Been thanked: 564 times

Re: Yamaha T7 review/insight

Post by OnHellas » Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:36 am

johnnyboxer wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:28 am
OnHellas wrote:
Monster wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:05 pm
OnHellas wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:18 pm
Monster wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:05 pm
Just seems a bit blinkered IMHO
In what way?
He is not looking at any other option.
He has a 1 track mind
He is not thinking about what it would be like to ride the Honda across Spain - time, comfort, fuel stops and an oil change
That’s for starters ....
But he’s giving us his opinion on a trip that he has done on the 450 Honda and now the Tenere 700.
He reckons that he can cope with the comfort or lack of on the 450......that’s his opinion, not for everyone. Certainly wouldn’t be for me.

Fair point in the oil change situation. Another reason why it wouldn’t be for me.
Oil change on the 450 would take 30-40 mins tops

Not a biggie
No, not a big deal at all. But still a deal breaker for some. You’d have to find somewhere to get it done or a suitable place to do it yourself and then dispose of the oil responsibly.
In a foreign country that would put some people off even more.

The longer service intervals on modern road bikes fit in with owners demands much more than the intervals on the CRF450L.

MotoCP
Posts: 206
Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2011 6:43 pm
Has thanked: 42 times
Been thanked: 123 times

Re: Yamaha T7 review/insight

Post by MotoCP » Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:10 am

Monster wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:05 pm
OnHellas wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:18 pm
Monster wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:05 pm
Just seems a bit blinkered IMHO
In what way?
He is not looking at any other option.
He has a 1 track mind
He is not thinking about what it would be like to ride the Honda across Spain - time, comfort, fuel stops and an oil change
That’s for starters ....
I enjoyed the reviews that Dave did on the CRF450L and the recent one on the T700.

Yes, of course it’s just his personal opinion but any bias is because that particular bike suits him best for a given task.
I believe he tells it as he finds it without worry of upsetting manufacturers, dealers, etc.
He’s previously said that he doesn’t make a living as a journalist so I don’t believe he’s financially tied to any particular brand/sponsor.
That honest unbiased approach was what I liked about TBM (Trail Bike Magazine - sadly no longer published).

Hopefully he will do more bike trip reviews in the future.

Dave, if your reading this please buy/beg/steal or borrow an AJP PR7 and a KTM 790R for future forays.
👍

OnHellas
Posts: 2137
Joined: Sat Oct 18, 2014 2:12 pm
Location: On the road somewhere.
Has thanked: 225 times
Been thanked: 564 times

Re: Yamaha T7 review/insight

Post by OnHellas » Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:38 am

MotoCP wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:10 am
Monster wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:05 pm
OnHellas wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:18 pm
Monster wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:05 pm
Just seems a bit blinkered IMHO
In what way?
He is not looking at any other option.
He has a 1 track mind
He is not thinking about what it would be like to ride the Honda across Spain - time, comfort, fuel stops and an oil change
That’s for starters ....
I enjoyed the reviews that Dave did on the CRF450L and the recent one on the T700.

Yes, of course it’s just his personal opinion but any bias is because that particular bike suits him best for a given task.
I believe he tells it as he finds it without worry of upsetting manufacturers, dealers, etc.
He’s previously said that he doesn’t make a living as a journalist so I don’t believe he’s financially tied to any particular brand/sponsor.
That honest unbiased approach was what I liked about TBM (Trail Bike Magazine - sadly no longer published).

Hopefully he will do more bike trip reviews in the future.

Dave, if your reading this please buy/beg/steal or borrow an AJP PR7 and a KTM 790R for future forays.
👍
I too felt that it was an honest review based on what he found that the bike did for him for the riding that he wants to do. A lot of it based around common sense and not because he does/doesn’t like the particular brand.

I would say that the only bias in there may come from the fact that he is promoting equipment from his own company, Adventure Spec. No shame there either.

MotoCP
Posts: 206
Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2011 6:43 pm
Has thanked: 42 times
Been thanked: 123 times

Re: Yamaha T7 review/insight

Post by MotoCP » Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:01 am

OnHellas wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:38 am
MotoCP wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:10 am
Monster wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:05 pm
OnHellas wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:18 pm
Monster wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:05 pm
Just seems a bit blinkered IMHO
In what way?
He is not looking at any other option.
He has a 1 track mind
He is not thinking about what it would be like to ride the Honda across Spain - time, comfort, fuel stops and an oil change
That’s for starters ....
I enjoyed the reviews that Dave did on the CRF450L and the recent one on the T700.

Yes, of course it’s just his personal opinion but any bias is because that particular bike suits him best for a given task.
I believe he tells it as he finds it without worry of upsetting manufacturers, dealers, etc.
He’s previously said that he doesn’t make a living as a journalist so I don’t believe he’s financially tied to any particular brand/sponsor.
That honest unbiased approach was what I liked about TBM (Trail Bike Magazine - sadly no longer published).

Hopefully he will do more bike trip reviews in the future.

Dave, if your reading this please buy/beg/steal or borrow an AJP PR7 and a KTM 790R for future forays.
👍
I too felt that it was an honest review based on what he found that the bike did for him for the riding that he wants to do. A lot of it based around common sense and not because he does/doesn’t like the particular brand.

I would say that the only bias in there may come from the fact that he is promoting equipment from his own company, Adventure Spec. No shame there either.
Yes naturally its a great platform for him to promote his clothing brand, hard parts etc.

The point is he sells bolt ons/upgrades for various bikes so it makes no difference to him which particular bike he publicly favours over another.

Post Reply

Return to “BIKES”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: andrew882, Brenhden, Coppice, g00ner, Monster, SHarper, SteveR, wks and 93 guests