Motorcycling in Russia

Bikers and riding
chippy61

Motorcycling in Russia

Post by chippy61 »

Im just booking my biking hols for july next year , im riding along the west coast of Norway all the way to the top to Nordcapp then I was going to come back through Finland but from what ive read Finland is boring for riding so I thought about coming back through Russia to st Petersberg, ive provisionally booked all the Russian accommodation so that I can apply for a tourist visa , but now im starting to get second thoughts , is it boring to ride , is it safe for a westerner ? is it expensive like Norway ? what condition are all the roads in ? can anyone help !!!
Godspeed

Re: Motorcycling in Russia

Post by Godspeed »

I haven’t been there and can’t answer any questions if only to say that I don’t think any route will be boring, just break it up with interesting towns/churches/memorials/bars/restaurants and locals to chat to.
You’ll have a blast 👍
The Meandering Moustache

Going Big and Riding Small

Honda PCX125 (sports tourer)
Honda Innova ANF125 (Adventure bike)
zimtim

Post by zimtim »

https://advrider.com/f/threads/vladivos ... t.1345897/

May help
May not
But will entertain
OnHellas

Post by OnHellas »

I can’t comment on Russia other than it’ll be an Adventure.

Back in 2014 I rode up to Nordkapp through Norway and then south through Finland. Finland was the less interesting ride for sure.
Still a great place to see though.
qcnr

Post by qcnr »

Just give yourself plenty of time in Norway, there is lots to see and driving/ riding conditions are such that average speeds are low.
If you want some tips on places to see, let me know. Bring a good pair of walking boots as well ;-)
Above all enjoy your trip.
vRSG60

Post by vRSG60 »

One of Henry Cole's World's Greatest Motorcycle Rides programmes was a trip from St Petersburg to Moscow.
He wasn't too impressed by the quality of either the roads or the driving skills of the locals.
Out On The Floor - Keep The Faith
gspod

Post by gspod »

Horizons unlimited is your best bet for info, Google ‘The HUBB’.

There can be a great experience riding through flat lands. On a trip around the western national parks of the US we spent a day riding the flat, straight road know as the “loneliest highway”. We thought it would be a very difficult day but ended up being one of the most enjoyable.
PaulinBont

Post by PaulinBont »

I was there for 4 weeks last year; loved it! Very friendly people, some great roads, some terrible, some good police, some bad ( some half-hearted attempts to solicit bribes; old habits die hard); the driving can be hilarious, bemusing, careful and reckless. The border crossing was stress- free albeit boring and tedious but the officials were pretty chilled- they have job to do so just bear with them and be pleasant......Go......I loved it!
Last edited by PaulinBont on Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
OB1

Post by OB1 »

I did a similar trip in 2016: up through Sweden and Norway to Nordkapp then back down through Finland and the Baltics.

I wouldn't call Finland boring, just that there seems to be a lot of straight roads. I did get quite worried at times as the fuel stations in northern Finland are few and far between (as are the populated areas of all of the Scandinavian countries) so I was glad that I had a fuel can with an extra gallon to get me to 300 miles between fill-ups. I think that northern Russia may be very similar to Finland.

I'm heading through Russia in 2020 on the way to Mongolia :D

A • AND • B • CDN • CH • CN • CY • CYM • CZ • D • DK • E • EST • ET • F • FIN • GR • HK • HR • I • IL • IRL • L • LT • LV • M • N • N-IRL • NL • P • PL • Q • RSM • S • SCO • SCV • SLO • TR • USA • YU
justrtw.com
crofty

Post by crofty »

yodagoat on here (Mike Taylor) did that trip with his dad. Might get some pointers

http://yodagoat.blogspot.com/2017/

Return to “ADVENTURE BIKE RIDER”