Ot of talk about the tenere 700 but not seen much about this 450l rally

The Things We Ride
Mikekitts81

Ot of talk about the tenere 700 but not seen much about this 450l rally

Post by Mikekitts81 »

So i seen this bute of a bike today and it lools like its near ready for production yea honda wont sell it at the same time as the 450l asnit may dampen there sale expectations cause iam sure most would go for the rally instead over the standard 450l ...

The 450l comes in just under 9000 so iam guessing the 450l rally will be a thousand or 2 more like the 250l and rhe 250 rally .

Are honda just teasing us or do you think it may actually be brought into productiin rather soon

I know which i would rather have and for a rally bike it wouldnt be that bad priced at thousand or so more than the 450l . Some may say its a bit of a steep price but when you look at the ktm rally for 30,000 it is quite cheap if it comes out at
FB_IMG_1541656042420.jpg
FB_IMG_1541656042420.jpg (113.2 KiB) Viewed 3603 times
FB_IMG_1541656066470.jpg
FB_IMG_1541656066470.jpg (107.71 KiB) Viewed 3603 times
FB_IMG_1541656062244.jpg
FB_IMG_1541656062244.jpg (105.35 KiB) Viewed 3603 times
All things built not bought . The only way is adventure .
OnHellas

Re: Ot of talk about the tenere 700 but not seen much about this 450l rally

Post by OnHellas »

I think you’ll find comparing a Honda CRF450L Rally with a KTM450RR is like comparing a McDonalds with a multi Michelin starred restaurant.

The Honda will no doubt be a very capable bike, both L and Rally styled versions (should the Rally go in to production) but it hasn’t been designed as an out of the box Rally Raid Bike.
The KTM450RR is aimed at privateer Rally riders. Have a look at the Dakar entry list and see how many privateers use it.
johnnyboxer

Post by johnnyboxer »

OnHellas wrote:I think you’ll find comparing a Honda CRF450L Rally with a KTM450RR is like comparing a McDonalds with a multi Michelin starred restaurant.

The Honda will no doubt be a very capable bike, both L and Rally styled versions (should the Rally go in to production) but it hasn’t been designed as an out of the box Rally Raid Bike.
The KTM450RR is aimed at privateer Rally riders. Have a look at the Dakar entry list and see how many privateers use it.
He's right
The KTM 450 Rallye is a race bike and not something you would want to ride on the road far
Honda 450L or Rallye is just overpriced for what they are at £9500 for the L
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
JMoandpiglet

Post by JMoandpiglet »

To be fair, there are plenty of privateer rally riders who are using the current CRF450X as a platform, and it does very well.

With the 450L being a fully homologated version of the X (for those markets where you can't register an 'enduro' version for the road), it makes a lot of sense to use the L as a base for a rally build with aftermarket tanks and a nav tower etc.

That is essentially what Honda have done here - fitted a set of rally tanks and a tower than look very similar to those used on their own Factory 450 Rally bikes.

Now in stock tune it is unlikely to have the ultimate performance of a KTM 450 RFR (which is a customer race bike), but it's also not going to cost €30,000 either.

Personally speaking, if they have actually increased the tank capacity (the photos appear to show twin fillers) significantly, then I'd say this will be an excellent consumer level 'rally replica' than could actually be raced too, with only minimal additional set-up to tune the suspension (which is already very good on the 450L) to your preference.

Jenny x
Mikekitts81

Post by Mikekitts81 »

I think jenny is right on what she says and as it is really a crf450x then it would be easy enough to detune or swap out parts so in reailty you would then have a pritty good rally bike for less than half the price depending on the price that gets put in place when reaching production . People complain about the price 0f 9500 but in reailty a crf450x is going to set you back 8500 brand new which isnt on the road so to say the crf450l version is on rhe road road legal already and as been detuned and set up for more road miles aswell ,is the 1000 extra asking price that much . Yea the crf250l and rally are near half the price but wasnt the 250l made as an entry level bike that was good for a trail bike as well as commuting . Were the 450 is based more at the experineced rider that like to hit the trails.

Alot say if your new to riding stay away from the 450 and go a 250 as its easier to handle and wont get you into trouble as quick so is the 450l not more aimed at the experienced rider rather than an entry level bike . I dont no personally i wouldnt pay the price for it unless i was planning on doing alot of road miles aswell anyway

Were as the rally as the tower and everything in place ready to roll out and take part straight away . Yea its not gonna win any championships etc we would think but sometimes slow and steady win the race . I would like to see how well it would do up agasint the ktm etc surely it cant come that far behind.
johnnyboxer

Post by johnnyboxer »

Mikekitts81 wrote:I think jenny is right on what she says and as it is really a crf450x then it would be easy enough to detune or swap out parts so in reailty you would then have a pritty good rally bike for less than half the price depending on the price that gets put in place when reaching production . People complain about the price 0f 9500 but in reailty a crf450x is going to set you back 8500 brand new which isnt on the road so to say the crf450l version is on rhe road road legal already and as been detuned and set up for more road miles aswell ,is the 1000 extra asking price that much . Yea the crf250l and rally are near half the price but wasnt the 250l made as an entry level bike that was good for a trail bike as well as commuting . Were the 450 is based more at the experineced rider that like to hit the trails.

Alot say if your new to riding stay away from the 450 and go a 250 as its easier to handle and wont get you into trouble as quick so is the 450l not more aimed at the experienced rider rather than an entry level bike . I dont no personally i wouldnt pay the price for it unless i was planning on doing alot of road miles aswell anyway

Were as the rally as the tower and everything in place ready to roll out and take part straight away . Yea its not gonna win any championships etc we would think but sometimes slow and steady win the race . I would like to see how well it would do up agasint the ktm etc surely it cant come that far behind.
All well and done but the 450L is a puny 26bhp in EU

To remove restrictions on power - you need a new ecu and exhaust from Honda

The ecu the bike comes with, is locked down by Honda forcing you to get a full power one from Honda

I see in Oz the 450L is supplied with the full power ecu and different exhaust free in the spares box
However you have to sign a waiver to void the road warranty before they let you take the parts home with you
No waiver = no full power parts

I wonder if Honda uk will give you a full power ecu and exhaust FOC

With money we don't have

Mikekitts81

Post by Mikekitts81 »

Well iam surprised to hear that if its only going to be 26bhp then why would you need one over the 250 rally ... i couldnt understand why anyone would want a bike at such a low power for a 450 i expected more out of it to be fair especaily is the oil changes are suppose to be every 600 miles and valve checks every 1800....
Id say for the extra money and more regualr servive intervals etc it would put me off at that bhp

The 250 rally as longer service intervals it will more than like be near half the price and wont be that much under powered than the 450l / rally if its only been sold with 26bhp
johnnyboxer

Post by johnnyboxer »

Mikekitts81 wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:04 pm Well iam surprised to hear that if its only going to be 26bhp then why would you need one over the 250 rally ... i couldnt understand why anyone would want a bike at such a low power for a 450 i expected more out of it to be fair especaily is the oil changes are suppose to be every 600 miles and valve checks every 1800....
Id say for the extra money and more regualr servive intervals etc it would put me off at that bhp

The 250 rally as longer service intervals it will more than like be near half the price and wont be that much under powered than the 450l / rally if its only been sold with 26bhp
Didn't you know it was 26bhp in EU?

Main advantage, over 250L is that it is a lot lighter and a 450 cc engine will have more torque than a 250

With money we don't have

JMoandpiglet

Post by JMoandpiglet »

Yes, the 450L is only 26bhp in the EU to get around the Euro homologation rules... the rest of the world get the 45+bhp version, which I'm sure that Rally concept is built around.

If it does ever become a production model, you can bet it ships with the full power ECU in a box too (like the 450L does in Australia for example).

Jx
minkyhead

Post by minkyhead »

dead dissapointed with the 450l ..its in no way a adventure bike for me

26 hp ? price ..tank range ...a puny 135w stator ..600 mile oil changes ..valves at 1800... blah blah

heres the irony ...i could take the 300 engine out of me 250l and put it in the 450l and have 20 percent more braaaap :shock: wtf :mrgreen:

is it a enduro bike ? well no even i can handle more than 26hp
adventure bike ? not in the way id describe one

it looks to be a very expensive trail bike ..with insufficiant stator to power heated grips ... ...im mega confused by what its supposed to be
whats the wether forcast ..wheres me map

Return to “BIKES”